Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC slow to start and going slow generally

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 NineMilesHigh

NineMilesHigh

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:43 AM

Hi - I have the following PC:-

Dell XPS 4100

Intel Core i7-2600 @3.4GHz

Ram 6GB

Storage Seagate ST3100 1GB

Video Card - AMD Radeon HD 6700

Windows 10

Running MBAM Anti-Malware and Anti-Exploit, SuperAntiSpyware & Windows Defender

I tend to look after the system carefully and not install anything I don't need.

However the system seemed to be gradually slowing down in general use - and on boot.

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and installed Chrome instead of using Internet Explorer.

I believe it is a bit better, but still seemed sluggish starting, opening applications, browsing etc.

I have run CCleaner, Glary Utilities to try to identify any issues.

I have run the above virus/malware checkers.

I tried Spybot and AVG as alternatives - ununistalled them after use.

Nothing significant was found.

I have scanned the hard drive. No issues. Fragmentation is not an issue.

I have gone through the applications and uninstalled anything I dont need.

I feel I need some kind of better health check to try to weed out any hidden issues, but unsure what to use.

I am concerned it is bogged down with other s/w that I don't need - for example...

When looking at  the start up -- Glary Utilities tells me I have...

Startup Programs 3 (I have deliberately reduced this)

Scheduled tasks 67

Plug-ins 3

Application Services 20

Windows Services 47

I have no idea whether this is high or normal.

Does anyone have advice on how I could approach this issue and do a more thorough clean up of the system? And perhaps find anything hidden away that may be causing the slowing down issue.

Thanks and regards..

William

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:08 AM

The actual numbers of things running is really not very significant - and it easily affected by both the system specs and how you use the system.

The first test (IMO) would be to either boot into Safe Mode - or run a clean boot (instructions here:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-clean-boot-state-in-windows )

If the system works markedly better in than it does in normal mode - then you probably have a problem.

You can also look at the Resource Monitor to see what's taking up your resources.  But be careful, as the information is difficult to analyze.

While I don't use Glary Utilities, this is what I have in my system:

- From Task Manager...Startup tab I have 16 startup programs

- From Task Scheduler I have 96 scheduled tasks

- I have no idea about plug-ins, but I'm using the same Firefox installation that I've used for years, and it has numerous add-ons installed

- From Services I have 104 running services (no distinction between Windows and Application)

This is an older Samsung laptop (came w/W8.0) and it has an i7 along w/12 gB of RAM

It has never been formatted, and I've updated all the way through W10 build 11082.1000 (I'm a Windows Insider)

When the system was running W8.1, I installed an SSD and cloned the OS to it.  It had a slow, 5400 rpm hard drive when sold, and I just didn't have the patience for it.

I have had some cooling issues with the SSD.  It forces the system to work harder, which increases the heat output.

Check your hard drive to see if it's a 5400/7200/10,000 rpm version.

Most often I do this by finding the model number in Device Manager - and then searching the web for the specs on that model number.

If necessary, consider upgrading to a faster drive - or to an SSD

We can also have a look at these reports to see if we spot anything amiss:

Beyond that, let's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 NineMilesHigh

NineMilesHigh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for your input.

I will try these suggestions and get back to you regarding the reports.

In terms of a clean boot, if I go into System Configuration and try to disable the services (but not the MS ones), it hangs System Config (says 'not responding').

So I just manually disabled a few services like Adobe, Google update services and a few others, and it is certainly booting a lot faster.

(Incidentally the drive is a Seagate 1TB, 7200 rpm).

Regards

W.

#4 NineMilesHigh

NineMilesHigh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:12 PM

Hi,

Attached are the requested files.

I hope these are helpful.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

W

Attached Files

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:12 PM

Admin Log File:

- Please attempt to fix your DCOM errors by doing this:

Go to Start, and then to Run (or the Win and R keys)
Type in "dcomcnfg" (without the quotes) and press Enter

In the Component Services window that opens, go to the left hand pane and double click on:
- Component Services, then on
- Computers, then on
- My Computer, then on
- DCOM Config
If it asks you to register any of the components, click Yes
This may happen several times if there are several unregistered components

Once you're finished, close the window and reboot the computer.
Check to see if the problems are fixed.
NOTE:  This is a generic "fix" for DCOM errors.  If it does not fix your problems, please post back.

and

- Otherwise this tends to look similar to many other problems that we've seen with W10 being installed on well-used systems.

There's a couple of things to try:
1)  Run the following command in a Powershell window that's run as an Administrator in order to re-register the Windows Store apps:
Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
From this article:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/re-register-windows-store-apps
Be sure that Edge is closed (in Task Manager).  Cortana will spit an error as it's still running - don't worry about that for now.

2)  Uninstall your antivirus, then use the removal tool for it (there's a list of most of them here:  http://www.carrona.org/avuninst.html ), then install a freshly downloaded, W10 compatible version.  Some A/V have difficulties with the upgrade, so removing them and then reinstalling them will help how they run.

3)  Download fresh copies of the latest, W10 compatible audio and video drivers for your system.  Then uninstall the current versions from your system.  Then install the freshly downloaded versions.

4)  Get ALL available Windows Updates

5)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs from the manufacturer's website.  If some aren't compatible w/W10, check here about uninstalling them.

6)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs for any add-on hardware and any software that you installed previously.  If they aren't compatible, please uninstall them.

If this doesn't fix things, then post back so we can discuss the following options:
- continuing to attempt to fix this copy of the OS
- Reset of the OS (considering both the "Keep My Files" and the "Remove Everything" options)
- revert to the previous OS (both at less than 30 days, and at more than 30 days since initial update)
- revert to the previous OS with another attempt at installing W10 (I don't recommend this)
- clean install of the previous OS
- clean install of the previous OS, then update to W10 (only needed if a clean install of W10 fails)
- W10 clean install

BSOD report:

Your UEFI/BIOS (version A03) dates from 2011.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

Only 4 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.

This device is disabled:

Generic Non-PnP Monitor    DISPLAY\DEFAULT_MONITOR\5&243C73F8&0&UID256    This device is disabled.

Did you disable this?  If so, why did you disable it?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 NineMilesHigh

NineMilesHigh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:41 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

I followed the DCOM procedure and when I double-click on 'DCOM config', it shows a big list of services /icons.

Nothing else happened at that point.

It didn't ask to register any components.

Should I have clicked something else to trigger this?

In terms of the Generic PnP monitor, unsure why it is disabled. I can re-enable.

I will try the other suggestions you made regarding Windows updates and driver updates etc..

Regards

W.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2016 - 04:03 PM

You appear to have run the DCOM procedure properly, and there were no items that needed registering./

Further fixes for the DCOM stuff (that I use) are DISM/SFC and a Refresh/Reset (with Keep My Files)

If those fail, then we suggest a full Reset.
But please understand that a lot of the errors aren't critical - so it may not be necessary.

Here's the DISM stuff:

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

Please enable the Generic PnP monitor and see what happens.

If it causes problems, then see about uninstalling it (right click on it and select "uninstall")

#8 NineMilesHigh

NineMilesHigh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:16 PM

Hi,

I have run the DISM commands and 'scannow' - all clear.

In terms of Windows updates, these are set to automatic and it is saying the system is up to date.

I will continue to look at your other suggestions.

Regards

W.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:23 AM

Is the PC still slow to start and slow generally?

If so, there's different approaches to take here - you could post over in the Am I Infected forums to see if you're infected.

Or, you can try a Reset using the Keep My Files option

#10 NineMilesHigh

NineMilesHigh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:06 PM

The system is still slower and not as fluent as it used to be.

That was why I tried upgrading to Windows 10 - to bring it up to date.

In terms of the BIOS, there is a later BIOS available.

The original (A03) is from 2/15/2011.

There is a version (A06) from 5/3/14 available.

However the Dell website does not say that it can be installed on Windows 10 (it mentions Windows 8, 7 etc... )

In fact it says the product has not been tested on Windows 10.

So, I believe it may be a risk to try to update it.

In terms of a Reset / Keep My Files - I believe I would have to re-install all the apps.

There are a couple of apps that would concern me here.

However, I will look into them and see if I could safely reinstall them and recover any data.

Thanks and regards

W

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users