Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Linux is not just an OS, it's more!

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:47 AM

Another Linux experience.
Found this article: I Moved to Linux and It’s Even Better Than I Expected

It’s almost certainly too late for Linux to be a hugely popular desktop/laptop operating system, at least in the developed world. But it’s not too late for enough of us to use it that we ensure some level of computing liberty for those who want it.

Meanwhile, please remember: We do have choices — we can make decisions that push the boundaries of tech freedom. My choices lately have been to opt out of the control-freaks’ grip wherever possible. I hope you’ll give some thought to doing the same. Depending on how we choose, we have much to gain, and lose.

It's a long read but I find it is worth it! I recognize myself 100% in what the man says...
What do you think?

PS: Please do not use this topic for bashing other OS's...

Greets!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 835 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:09 PM

He expresses my feelings much more eloquently than I do. :thumbup2:

#3 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 495 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:19 PM

I'm going to be a little bit pendantic here, but "Linux" is just the kernel.  Everything else is part of a "Linux Distribution":  the kernel (OS), userspace applications and a bunch of prebuilt apps.

As an example, take a look at FreeBSD or OpenBSD.  There is a kernel and userspace.  Everything else is a "port".  You want a web browser?  Install firefox or chromium.  Email client?  There's Thunderbird.

While I do agree with what the author is saying, be careful about what is an OS vs what is an application.  Microsoft is the one that tried to blur that line:  remember when we were told that IE is part of the Windows OS?  People that had half a brain called BS  on that one.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#4 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:36 PM

GNU is the system- Linux is the Kernel as said above

http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.en.html

BSD has its own Kernel and isnt a Linux system though or a GNU system as such due to licensing issues...which gets confusing thoug use many of the same Packages !

there is also Liqourix Kernel ....which can be installed on GNU / linux systems ...supposed to be better fodesktop, multimedia, and gaming workloads.!!!

I know Debian people use it as replacement for the LTS kenels....Dont know if there is any benefit on a rolling release Distro 

Edited by shadow-warrior, 08 January 2016 - 06:37 PM.

#5 raymac46

raymac46

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:59 PM

I've been a Linux user since 2007 - and I've never felt by using it I was making any sort of political statement.

It was a fun intellectual exercise in the early days  - especially with wifi, as it wasn't as automagic as it is now to hook up to a wireless router. It was always a challenge getting the right video card as well. And don't even get me started on wifi chipsets.

What attracted me to Linux was its performance on old hardware, security, and low cost. That and the Linux community support.

It's a pity there are so few manufacturers that install Linux on new hardware. However if you are a bit techy you can build an excellent desktop machine yourself and install your choice of distro. I did that with my latest Linux driver and it flies.

Edited by raymac46, 08 January 2016 - 07:01 PM.

#6 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:25 AM

Thank you for your reactions!  :thumbup2:

Gary R: Indeed, you can not only read the article but also feel it!

mremski & shadow-warrior: I hear you and understand what you say but I think it was not the intention of the author to be "scientific" right... Idem for my topic title.

raymac46: I never thought that "freedom of choice" or "open source" were a political statement. I see them as human statements but I understand that, depending on your background, they could be seen or used political. Sometimes it's a thin line.

Greets!

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:48 AM

Have been a Linux user since mid spring of 2009, and couldn't be happier! :)

While there has been & still are ups & downs, this hasn't been the Linux OS itself, rather some device that's not well supported by Linux...........including nVidia GTX Graphics cards of today. Now, if I were to run a 5+ year old card that was given to me, it would work. It requires jumps through hoops to do the same with a GTX 950 through 980 & higher, though not quite as bad as it once was, which makes AMD the preferred GPU for Linux, though it's my least favorite of the two brands, it's best for Linux.....out of the box. 

One of the best things that I like about Linux & an idea that Microsoft's Windows 10 stole the idea from, are daily updates as needed, though none are mandatory & none are downloaded & installed w/out ones's express consent, which is via one's sudo password. Speaking of which, one should never allow anyone.....even a close friend or relative, including one's spouse, to see that password. Because with that, and access to the computer, all sorts of changes can be made behind one's back while we're away. That's one reason why we should give family members who are able to run a computer their own account (sudo or Administrator in the case of a spouse), for minors, a standard account with parental controls at the router level. 

Other best things are an included LibreOffice, vastly superior to that of LibreOffice, and for 64 bit users, over 70,000 choices on the 64 bit side, over 40,000 for the 32 bit usershare. PDF reader is included, as are many of the utilities that we use & need on a daily basis, though on Ubuntu based distros, the ufw Firewall must be enabled by Terminal, like so (followed by the root password).

sudo ufw enable

To check the firewall's status at any time:

sudo ufw status verbose

Which should provide an output similar to this (your name/your PC):

cat@cat-XPS-8700 ~ $ sudo ufw status verbose

[sudo] password for cat: 
Logging: on (low)
Default: deny (incoming), allow (outgoing), disabled (routed)
New profiles: skip
cat@cat-XPS-8700 ~ $ 

Lots of goodies includes with Linux Mint MATE 17, though as each release is released, newer software also comes out to upgrade/replace the old. Plus, the inbuilt security of Linux OS's are very robust, though responsible computing practices should still be used. 

Though Adobe has held their Flash player for Firefox back to that of years ago, the latest can be installed by these simple instructions to Version 20.0.0.228 (or whatever the latest may be). Open the Terminal & copy/paste these lines in quote box, one at a time. This is assuming that Google Chrome has been installed that includes Pepper Flash (how I upgraded). 

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install freshplayerplugin

If you don't have Google Chrome installed, then you may need to run the following (one line at a time):

sudo apt-get install pepperflashplugin-nonfree
sudo update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree --install

Source (beneath 3 Answers):

http://askubuntu.com/questions/563973/ubuntu-14-04-firefox-flash-plugin

Now see what my 64 bit Firefox is now showing, the current version! :guitar:

Screenshot-22_1.png

See it's these things, the learning curve, that makes Linux an adventure to learn & run. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,668 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:40 AM

@ GNULINUX, I actually look at using Linux as a philosophical statement, or better yet (and more to the way that I see it), using Linux is a philosophical expression. Sure, in certain ways politics is a part of philosophy (Aristotle did write a book called Politics), but freedom and aesthetics are both philosophical schools, and Linux has both of these covered in spades.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:41 AM

cat1092: On "Linux"  :wink: there's always another way, your own way! That's real freedom and real choice.

Knowledge is power!

Linux brings back the fun in computing!

Greets!

#10 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 495 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:47 AM

@GNULinux:  understood.  That's why I agreed with what the author wrote, just want to make the distinction between what is an OS and what is an application.  An OS does not NEED applications, but applications can't live without an OS, users can't live without applications.

I probably should have kept them for hysterical value, but I got rid of a bunch of old Red Had distribution CDs (that's how I've always supported the movement, buy the distribution media every other release.  Doing that for Linux, FreeBSD and OpenBSD).  I know I had some 3.03 CDs, I'm pretty sure I had 1.x and 2 also (I'll save you the trouble of Google, that dates me back to around 1995, kernel version about 1.2).  So I welcome you all to the party.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#11 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:06 AM

Rocky Bennett: You hit the nail there but please change your forum avatar...  :P

An OS does not NEED applications, but applications can't live without an OS, users can't live without applications.

:thumbsup:

Greets!

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:28 AM

I recall the days of reading several GNU/Linux articles, before I ever ran Linux. Though to be honest, thought it was for 'geeks only' or those with degrees in the IT industry. 

Thank goodness for WUBI on the latter part of the last decade, otherwise may have never bothered to run Linux at all. This (at the time) new way of running Ubuntu within Linux got me curious, enough to get my feet a bit wet & wanted to learn more. :)

Thanks goodness that persistence paid off, after going through a dozen or more distros within 3 months or so, finally found & fell in love with Linux Mint 7, aimed at those like myself, newbies & to this day still does. It's said to be the 4th largest OS in the World, behind Windows (all), Apple (all) & Ubuntu, and that's been it's position for years. 

So yes indeed, Linux is more than an OS alone, it can be as bare or as loaded as one wants it to be, and this includes the Mint versions. The lightest on the chart is Xfce, not sure of the ranks of the rest, though by popularity it's now Cinnamon, considered a 'drop in replacement' for Windows 7 & MATE, which was for a long time, Mint's #1 offering (may still be). Not sure where KDE & Debian fits in, though know that there aren't many Debian users as the Mint team would like. Both the first & second releases of Mint were KDE based, then Xfce came in, followed by Debian & then Gnome 2 (now MATE) & Cinnamon. 

Linux is not just an OS, it's a very diverse community of those all over the world, where some folks has no other choice (other than to run pirated Windows), at least it gives the world a secure OS to fall back on. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#13 raymac46

raymac46

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:58 AM

@GNULINUX from the article:

Let’s not forget government, which absolutely loathes decentralization. Centralized services create choke points, and make life easier for law enforcement, spies, regulators and tax collectors. The surveillance state loves data-collection choke points that ultimately put everyone’s communications, and liberty, at risk.

That is political enough in my book and not the reason I use Linux. I found a lot more paranoia in the article as well. YMMV.

#14 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:49 AM

raymac46: My previous reply to you was my own opinion not the authors.  :wink:

You're right that the author takes it a step (or more) further. But I still think that personal background is very important. Simply the fact that you're from Canada and I'm from Europe could give us a very different judgment on the same things.

:gathering:

Greets!

#15 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,668 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:19 AM

Rocky Bennett: You hit the nail there but please change your forum avatar...  :P

An OS does not NEED applications, but applications can't live without an OS, users can't live without applications.

:thumbsup:

Greets!

Why, I like my avatar.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users