Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphic Cards

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Caston

Caston

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:33 AM

Hello

I  am running W7 on a HP xw4400 Workstation.

I tried to download W10 but a message indicate that I would need to upgrade from Quadro NVS 285.

Can I have some advice on this, please ?.

Overall, is it necessary to get W10 ?.

Thanks for your help

Caston

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:37 AM

It is not necessary to have W10 on your system but it is nice to have. If you are fine with W7, then you can stick with it.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#3 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:39 PM

It is never necessary to upgrade/change your Operating System if the one you have works and does what you need it to do....but there are caveats.

There are many factors that can ultimately force you to upgrade other than the hardware support for the devices in your PC.

If we assume this PC is being used to browse the web, create documents, send/receive email (i.e. general type use), then compatibility issues with the browser, software used to create documents, etc can all require upgrades over time and eventually, the newer versions of that software will also require an upgraded Operating System.

Older OS's are no longer getting supported...that means security patches and updates are not being created.  While that may not directly impact its use, it does make it potentially more vulnerable to hacking. 

Newer OS's on older PC's may, or may not perform well (or at all). 

You need to decide if Windows 7 is viable for you and understand that it reached end of mainstream support in January of last year.  If you are a little diligent with your anti-virus regimen and pay attention to keeping your system clean, Windows 7 will be quite usable for several years to come.

Since you are using a Quadro card, I assume this is an older or lower end workstation and you are doing CAD, or have a need for higher res multi-display set up?  In your case, I'd be more interested in upgrading the system as a whole over worrying about Windows 7 vs 10.

#4 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:42 PM

Are you satisfied with the performance you are getting out of your system? Is there a pressing reason for you to upgrade to win10? Answer those two questions and we can get started.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#5 Caston

Caston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:50 AM

I have read and taken note of all responses.

Many, many thanks to you all.

I have decided to go for W10 and upgrading as support and security for W7 may be problematic later.

Can I have some info on necessary items to replace for upgrading, please.

#6 raymac46

raymac46

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:09 AM

Windows 10 isn't unduly demanding when it comes to graphics. Quadro K420 or even GT 740 cards should get you going..

#7 Caston

Caston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:42 PM

Many thanks raymac46. I will take your advice.

#8 Caston

Caston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:44 PM

Hello Guys

I have looked at these Asus Cards.

CCL VGA 2731

Manufacturers Code: GT740-OC-2GDS

CCL Code VGA 2733

Manufacturers Code: 90YV0610-MONA00

Can anyone say if any of these will fit in the Workstation and which is better of the two.

Thanks for you replies.

#9 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:49 PM

I'm not sure W10 is going to run on that xw4400 too well.  HP doesn't show W10 drivers for it.  Built-in MS drivers might account for a lot of the drivers, but if not, then you're stuck.

I tried putting W10 on an older Dell dual-core and and it had a lot of issues because W10 wasn't able to install all the drivers.  There are no W10 drivers for it from Dell.  I tried using Vista drivers, but no good. I tried to get drivers from Intel and the various brands who actually made the board for Dell, all a no go, so W10 was a no go.

W10 loaded, and it would boot and I could do some things with it, but anything intense just bogged it to death or had lock ups or errors.

Realistically, you're going to need a new PC (at the very least a new CPU, motherboard, memory and video card(s)).

#10 Caston

Caston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:37 PM

Very clearly put, Ram4x4.

Thank you very much, saved me a lot of aggro.

I will check out your suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users