Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Boot Hidden Drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Semper

Semper

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 10:23 AM

Hi i have little ideas about how virus spread but not that much , so i plan to make a dual boot on separate drive on my computer. I want to have 2 windows XP , one to be used for thing that i want to be secure and another one for installing program that may not be safe , to download try and test you know ?...

What i want to know is will the virus or spyware and all of their familly will spread from one XP to the other one ?

Do i have to hide the drive of my secure XP when i boot on the unsecure one ?

Is hiding a drive protect the content of this drive against virus ?

(By hiding a drive i mean maybe using "NoViewOnDrive")

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 01:14 AM

While I've never heard of this method, or anything similar to it, being used in this manner, I would guess that it would protect you against the lesser quality viruses, but that rootkits and really nasty viruses may be able to bypass it. Perhaps one of the more experienced members will be able to answer you more definitively.

In any event, be sure to keep your antivirus, antispyware, firewall, and Windows itself up to date, and run the scanners regularly.

It should be noted that running two copies of Windows without buying two product keys may be a violation of your EULA, even if it's on the same computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users