Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Computer Salvage

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PrinceTaz

PrinceTaz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:02 PM

So I have four old computer desktops that I no longer use, the parts are still good. I want to ask the best way to modify these so I can make the best computer I can with what I have. Im going to list the computers best I can.

1. Dell Computer (Can't find the name)
  • a. Serial No: 2KJWKC1
  • Model No: DCNE
  • Mfg. Date: 022007
  • On the back where the ports are, it says: "2KJWKC1"

2. HP Pavilion p6710f PC
  • Serial No: 4CE0480X02
  • Product No. BV530AA#ABA
  • Model No. p6710f
  • AMD Athlon || 640 Quad-Core Processor
  • 4GB DDR3 system memory
  • ATI Radeon HD 4200 integrated graphics
  • Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n
  • 1TB hard drive
  • SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology

3. Intel Computer
  • Only thing written on this is these numbers: C66020-001
  • And 272356
  • P/N: 91.97020.B50
  • S/N: 54017468
  • "Intel Celeron D Inside"

4. Dell Dimension 4600
  • "Intel Inside - pentium 4"
  • Service Tag: 235JQ31
  • Express Service Code: 4544281549

5. I also have a 1TB extra hard drive that I found in the garage

So basically what I am asking the geniuses on this forum, is to please help me out with switching and rearranging around parts the make the best desirable computer that I can make with the parts that I have. I know it seems like a long and tedious process and a lot of work for someone you don't even know or will benefit from but please I'm really asking some help. I'm new with computer hardware and how it works compatibility wise, thanks a lot.

Edited by hamluis, 08 January 2016 - 06:20 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:50 PM

Unfortunately I'm going to need a little more detail than that to help you. Please download Speccy, run it on each computer, and post the results here. That should give us enough information to get started.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 PrinceTaz

PrinceTaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:52 PM

Well the thing it, most of these computers don't really work. They are really old and beat up

#4 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:59 PM

Don't work as in won't even boot up? If you can't run speccy, then take the parts out and post pictures of them. As old as they are I'm not sure googling the model numbers will turn up anything...

#5 PrinceTaz

PrinceTaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:04 PM

Okay I can do that, do they have identification numbers that I should be taking a picture of?

#6 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:19 PM

HDDs shout have a sticker on the top that gives info such as capacity, cache size, manufacturer, etc. Motherboards will have information printed onto them. RAM will typically have a sticker on the side stating its specs. Get pictures of all of that (if there are multiple sticks of RAM in a single computer I only need a picture of one of them - they should all be the same). An overview picture of the case would be helpful too.
Make sure to ground yourself (by touching something metal) before handling PC components!

#7 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:27 AM

Speccy is not a demanding application and should run on most PC, are you sure it won't work on your PC?

If it work, follow the instructions here and post a snapshot.

Edited by batman1234, 08 January 2016 - 05:28 AM.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#8 raymac46

raymac46

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:48 AM

Just a brief look at the info above has led me to conclude that the HP Pavilion is your best bet. It will run any Linux 64 bit system for sure. The first Dell has an Athlon 3200 in it ca 2006 or so. Celeron D is a fairly low end processor from 2005-2009.

Dell 4600 is from 2003.

Personally I wouldn't be bothered fixing up anything that doesn't have a dual core 64 bit capability these days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users