Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! Optiplex GX620 GRAPHICS card!!!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 bookbuyer

bookbuyer

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:27 PM

I hardly have ANY room! Can you smart people please look at my photo of the inside of my computer (hardly room to even lose an M & M hahaha) and tell me some graphics cards that would fit? Please?

I specially ordered this Radeon thingamajig that some people said would fit.... but it's way too big. Maybe their Optiplex was the "normal" tower size. Mine is the mini.

PLEASE SEE PHOTO (the tape measure shows how much "one foot" is, and the red marker is laying on top of the "enclosure" that the graphics card is supposed to fit in).

The "enclosure" (that the red marker is setting on) makes it so the graphics card can go sideways. If I just insert the graphics card straight into my MOBO slot, then, even though the card is about 4 1/4" tall, it is still about an inch too much for my side panel to go onto.

I MUST use Windows XP, and I MUST use my existing computer that you see pictured. Would you all please suggest some used brands/models (radeon or nvidia) that would be small enough to give me a LITTLE BIT of "graphics BOOST" please?

I know I won't be able to run "modern games" at full throttle.... but I at least want a little bit better than the built-in graphics on my motherboard.

THANK YOU!!!

Here is that photo (click on it to make it big):

Attached File  space.jpg   71.14KB   0 downloads

I have attached a photo of my computer and space inside. In case the photo doesn't appear, here's an external link to the photo I uploaded to a picture-website http://www.imageno.com/17lapys4bdpspic.html If "external links" aren't allowed, then it is okay with me if a moderator deletes out this link, I just want people to see what I am talking about. Alternatively, if an external link is not allowed, then just substitute a "period '.'" where you see the word "DOT"

www  DOT mageno DOT com/17lapys4bdpspic  DOT  html

Edited by bookbuyer, 07 January 2016 - 08:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:37 PM

What's your psu wattage? A stock dell psu might not be able to handle very much.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:27 PM

Im going say off hand, that the PSU on that thing wont be able to handle a modern card, and the case wont be able to keep it cool...With that being said, can't really say what would even be compatible without knowing the interface used. Does the video card slide into a PCI_Express slot, AGP, PCI? if your not sure, what is the model number of the computer in question?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:13 AM

The desktop version of the GX 620 has one PCIe x16 slot (it'll be version 1 or 1.1) . It needs a low profile card - probably one with a very compact heat sink (this is definitely so for a Small Format Factor case but a desktop probably doesn't have much more space). It must be a card with a tiny power consumption as the PSU ratings are very low.

So my suggestions are AMD HD5450 or HD6450 based cards. You need one that comes with low profile brackets & has a compact heat sink so look at the ASUS "0dB" or Sapphire cards. This will be an improvement over the on board graphics. (the ASUS cards definitely fit in a SFF GX 620 case so will certainly fit a desktop case)

I'm not really sure it's actually worth spending any money on an OptiPlex GX620 now - you could get a much better spec used OptiPlex for about the same money as a cheap graphics card.

#5 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:46 PM

In one of my previous lives at one of my former employers, we were an all Dell shop.  We had tons of the small form factor 620's.  They were indeed tanks and work horses back in the day, but....

We also wanted to boost the video capabilities just as you and we bought half height cards (radeons as mentioned above) and while they do work, they didn't work for long.  They had a tendency to burn up in a couple of months.  Those little half height video cards, crammed into a tight space with little to no air flow just didn't last.

As a side note, we never had any issues with the PSU's not having enough oomph for the extra load.

If you want to take a chance at it, give it a try (maybe see if you can mod it some to get some better airflow), but if you aren't a gambling person, I'd not recommend it.

#6 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:00 PM

Unfortunately that looks like one of those OEM cases where people tried to squish everything into a tiny space. If you are adamant about adding this GPU to your system and you have money to spare, I would recommend salvaging what you can from this and starting a new build. Or, since the PSU and drives seem to be the main problem, you could remove them and have them sitting on the side, still connected by cords to the machine. Neither option looks great though.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#7 raymac46

raymac46

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:08 PM

I have one of those around. Mine is the desktop form factor and has a riser card where the video card must go. It has a PCIe slot that will take a low profile card on the riser. Mine is an Nvidia 8400GS which is  slight improvement over the Intel GMA950 graphics that are native. The power supply is wimpy and proprietary.

Maybe a GT610 would fit. You cannot put in a wifi board if you use a video card so if you want wifi you'll need a USB dongle of some sort - ASUS N10 works fine with Linux.

Not worth a lot of time and effort frankly as the machine is likely 10 years old. And good luck running XP.

#8 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:06 PM

Out of curiosity Bookbuyer, why must you use XP and THAT specific PC?

As far as gaming on that PC...you're going to have a hard time running any modern games at all, much less at lower graphics settings.

#9 bookbuyer

bookbuyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:13 PM

Wow! Lots of replies = lots of smart people! Thank you!! Would this work:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121447

And, Raymac46, if your nVidia 8400GS works, does that mean THIS one here will work:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130585

I am *stuck*  using my GX620 Optiplex, running Windows XP -- so yes, I have to "make due" and get a graphics card that will fit. I don't want to anger a bunch of companies buying, and later *returning* graphics cards because they are too big....

I know my Power Supply is generous.... no worries there. But, if you look at the image I posted of the inside of my computer, you will see there is very VERY little space.

It's hard to tell by "eyeballing it" but do you think both of those cards I mentioned earlier will work (these two:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130585 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121447

#10 raymac46

raymac46

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:45 PM

If yours is the desktop version with a riser card then you need to be sure to have a low profile bracket as well. My 8400GS is a Galaxy and I believe it included the half height bracket. You remove the original bracket and screw on the half height one. It'll take up two slots. If you have the smaller SFF case then I don't know.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UB27E3266&cm_re=low_profile_bracket-_-9SIA4UB27E3266-_-Product

#11 bookbuyer

bookbuyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:47 PM

I'm so sorry if I come across as a dummy.... well, actually, I AM a dummy when it comes to this stuff. You are all saying "half riser card remove this/that 2 slots" etc., etc., and I can feel my eyes permanently cross just reading this stuff haha

I was hoping someone could look at the links I posted to those cards and give me a Yes or No -- I already posted a photo of the inside of my computer. And when someone says "if your's is this or that," and the thing is, I don't know what mine is -- that is why I posted a photo.

I posted 2 links to cards, Will either of those work? If not, would someone post a link to a card that will work?

I am just trying to save everyone time so I don't have to buy and return something later.

Again, I'm so sorry. If someone could just "humor" me and look at the pic of my computer, and tell me what could work. I just need a little bump in Graphics, and I am stuck with the Optiplex GX620 running XP.

#12 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:10 AM

The first card you linked to is exactly the type of card I suggested you consider i.e. Asus HD5450 "0dB" card complete with low profile brackets - so yes it will fit. That card will fit in a SFF case so will certainly fit in your desktop case - with or without the riser fitted (yours has it fitted).

The NVidia card also would physically fit - but has a significantly higher power consumption which I would have expected to be too high for the standard PSU - but if raymac46 has one fitted to his & says that it works OK then I'm not going to argue.

#13 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:47 AM

If you add one of these cards, seriously, modify that case somehow to get some air moving through it or that card is going to burn up in short order.

#14 raymac46

raymac46

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:16 AM

My Optiplex 620 has quite powerful fans since it has one of those Pentium D 840 CPUs that runs fast and hot. I have never had any trouble with airflow and the 8400GS card works fine. An 8400GS pulls less than 30 watts going all out and does not need any sort of additional power cable from the power supply.

A riser card is just an extension rack that plugs into a slot on the motherboard and allows other cards like video or wifi to be plugged into it and line up with the slots on the back of the computer case. You'll need a low profile card of some sort and with the bracket for low profile it'll require two of those slots to be open. I am not sure if your case design has the riser card or not, but mine does have it. It's easy to take out, install the video card and plug back in.

Since rqt says that the AMD HD5450 comes with the low profile bracket that is for sure the way to go.

Edited by raymac46, 09 January 2016 - 10:16 AM.

#15 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:39 PM

Book buyer,

I dug through my boxes of PC parts and I have a Radeon 7450 half height card that will fit your system.  It's PCI 2.0, but is backward compatible with the PCI 1.0 or 1.1 slot on your mobo, so it will work.

Attached is a picture I took of it.

The card is rated to 25 watts power draw, so if your PSU is "generous" as you say, shouldn't be an issue.

best I can remember, I never installed it anything, so it's like brand new...just no box or software, you'd have to get the drivers online.

You can have it if you want it, I have no need for it...just send me a shipping address (I assume you're in the U.S.?).

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users