Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Too many partitions to upgrade to Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chispaluz

chispaluz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:02 PM

Hi all, 

My friend tried to upgrade from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10.  It told him that the SYSTEM RESERVED drive was causing a problem and could not perform the upgrade.  He followed an article on Reddit and ended up with a mess of partitions that he and I do not understand.  

Here's the story:

"Attached is a document that I used in trying to upgrade to WIN10. A little back-story - when I first attempted to upgrade top WIN10, I received the message stating that the SYSTEM RESERVED drive was causing a problem and it would not perform the upgrade. So, I researched it and found the a procedure on Reddit. After following the document which created (Drive Y Data), I received the same message about SYSTEM RESERVED, and could still not upgrade to WIN10. Instead of fighting it and wasting time, I just left it as is."

I attached an image of what he has in Disk Management.  

What can he do to clean things up to the point where he should be able to upgrade to 10?

Thanks so much!

chispaluz

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:06 PM

What are the 3 different drives for, and why is the System Reserved partition on a different drive from the Windows partition?

Are you determined to keep these 3 drives and do you need to save the data from them?

Is there one that you can use to store backups and not boot from?

Do you have a problem with clearing the other 2 drives completely and then installing W10 fresh?

Do you have the W7 product key?

In short, what I'd like to do is:

- backup your stuff to one of the drives.

- disconnect that drive.

- determine which drive you want to boot from and run Windows from - then wipe both of those drives clean

- then disconnect the one that you don't want to boot from.

- then install Windows 10 "clean" on the one drive that is the only one connected to the system.

- once it's up and running well, then connect the other drives to use as you see fit.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,626 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:10 AM

To the OP, Although physically disconnecting and reconnecting a drive, the way that usama has suggested, might sound intimidating, it is really not that difficult and it is really the safest way to perform what you want to do and protect your data. If you have any problems doing it, the folks here at Bleeping Computer can help you out.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 chispaluz

chispaluz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:36 AM

Thanks so much, guys.  I passed on your responses to my friend (he lives in another state).   He is not too comfortable with removing drives, but he may know someone who can help him.  I agree that it makes sense to start clean with his Windows 10 installation.  It just seemed like a jumbled mess to me.  

If we need any more help, I'll definitely ask.  

I really appreciate your assistance!

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,615 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:07 AM

You may also want to tell your friend you have 3 active partitions on 3 separate disks. The System Reserved partition on Disk 1 is not marked as a System Partition (only Active and Primary), although it is named System Reserved. Disk 0 has a System Reserved Partition (marked System,Active,Primary) but for some reason the volume was renamed to Data. It also has only 7MB free which I believe may be your problem. 

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:15 AM

Thanks JohnC_21!

I completely missed that :(

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users