Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to put CloneZilla on a thumbdrive.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:11 PM

Hi I would like to put CloneZilla on a usb thubdrive I have StartupDisk Creator, UNetBootin and USB Image writer installed. Which one of these should I use to write CloneZilla to a thumbdrive? Also I want to clone Windows 7 to a DVD because DVDs last longer then USB thumbdrives, So how would clone Windows 7 to a DVD with CloneZilla?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:09 PM

From the horse's mouth...CloneZilla

Clonezilla Live on USB

Couldn't confirm using Rufus...mixed results in a brief search...but options in the link above are pretty straight forward.

Cloning implies creating another hdd of the same or larger size containing the present contents of the hdd you are cloning.

Such a clone could only be used on the computer the hdd is presently installed or another computer with exact same hardware.

You can use the disk imaging program in Windows 7 to create an image of your present hdd and copy it to other mediums

such DVDs, flash drives, hdds, etc. The image can be used reinstall the contents onto a corrupted hdd or a new hdd to be

used in the same computer. The Windows 7 imaging / backup program is a stripped down version of Acronis. I know Seagate

and WD use Acronis for cloning and creating images.

Edited by buddy215, 08 January 2016 - 07:41 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:30 AM

@buddy215:

My comments between yours

Clonezilla Live on USB

Right on the money, there.

Cloning implies creating another hdd of the same or larger size containing the present contents of the hdd you are cloning.

Such a clone could only be used on the computer the hdd is presently installed or another exact same computer.

You'd best define the last part of that second sentence, re "exact same computer".

I recently ran Clonezilla under Linux, to clone TimNet from an ailing Acer AIO 2TB to a newer Toshiba Satellite 2TB. Size was about 235GB. The Acer is BIOS/MBR and the Toshiba is UEFI/GPT. Clonezilla offers choices of Disk to Disk, Partition to Disk, Partition to (external) Partition, &c. I chose imaging on this occasion, Partition to Partition. I allowed about 5 GB more at the Destination end in case there were any overheads (240GB).

Clonezilla by default uses a low-level, sector-by-sector cloning at 1:1. There is an advanced option for compression using gzip and bzip2, but I would be pleasantly surprised to learn they would compress a Windows 7 install to a DVD, but can't say for sure, as haven't used.

At the Destination end, the Toshiba, I then carved a partition of 245GB, and restored the image to it using Clonezilla. I then blew away the image after I checked the restored TimNet worked, and continues to work. There is a nag following boot from Grub that the UUID is different, and I have read how to fix that but haven't got to it yet.

You can use the disk imaging program in Windows 7 to create an image of your present hdd and copy it to other mediums

such DVDs, flash drives, hdds, etc. The image can be used reinstall the contents onto a corrupted hdd or a new hdd to be

used in the same computer. The Windows 7 imaging / backup program is a stripped down version of Acronis. I know Seagate

Reservations as stated about the DVD, but a large USB stick of eg 64GB would likely do the trick, smaller with compression.

@SuperSapien64:

As a disclaimer, I have not used Clonezilla under Windows, and am unlikely to. Have you checked in the Windows Topics searching "clonezilla Windows"?

Good luck.

:wizardball: Wizard

#4 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 02:24 AM

Couldn't confirm using Rufus

My newest laptop with win 8.1 would not create bootable USB 3.0 drives

until i created them with rufus. Can't vouch for win 7, but rufus is a really

good program.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:42 AM

Yeah...I wanted to recommend using Rufus but only mixed results as to whether it would create a good

Clonezilla bootable flash drive.

A bit off topic but I've had the below links saved for a while:

Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

Create a Windows 10 USB Bootable Flash Drive

Wizardfromoz....picky...picky...but I did attempt to rewrite and hope that satisfies your Pickyness..:)

As Yogi Berra said, ""We make too many wrong mistakes"

I suppose it is best now to wait and see SuperSapien64's response as to whether any of this is helpful or not.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:21 AM

AGREED with the Clonezilla link below, but use Method B.  That's what I've done, several times.  HINT: use a Kingston 3.0 stick.  It is MUCH faster than a SanDisk.  Or, use a Kingston 2.0 stick.  The same holds true for installing Linux on external sticks.  For example, over last weekend I installed Debian 8 solely to an external 2.0 Kingston 32GB swivel drive (this one).  Debian boots and shuts down almost instantly.  So expect Clonezilla to be very slow if not on a fast stick, but of course you don't need 32GB.  It's also native to Linux Mint, but must run in terminal.

Clonezilla Live on USB

Couldn't confirm using Rufus...mixed results in a brief search...but options in the link above are pretty straight forward.

Such a clone could only be used on the computer the hdd is presently installed or another computer with exact same hardware.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#7 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 12:00 AM

OK I wasn't sure but it sounds like your saying Windows 7 has a built in disk cloning tool correct? The reason I want to clone Windows 7 is because I only have about seven more web activations otherwise I'll have to call Microsoft to activate it.

#8 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 12:49 AM

@SuperSapien64:

The reason I want to clone Windows 7 is because I only have about seven more web activations otherwise I'll have to call Microsoft to activate it.

I am out-of-date with Windows for the most part (thankfully, lol) but it used to be the case that there was code in one or more places in Windows Registry that would keep count of the number of times you used Windows (eg 30) - by cloning your existing setup, that "stopwatch" or "timer") would carry over too, and so you would still be stuffed once the limit expired. Also, I have had it argued to me that the COA (Certificate of Authenticity) number is linked directly to the Motherboard of computers Windows shipped with (except perhaps, Dell). Someone can bail me out here, if I am wrong, & I can learn?

@buddy215:

I wasn't actually being picky intentionally - I have 8 mental disorders, and two of them are (Adult) ADD/ADHD and Asperger's Syndrome. Betwen them, I interpret information differently to others. Hence your saying

... (and yes I know you have edited that) - meant that I required some clarification. No offence meant, hope none taken?

@brainout:

Nice tips, thanks.

I know the OP has this Topic Subject as is, but personally, I just use Clonezilla on a CD-R. Current version I am using is dated 14th October 2015, whatever version and dot point that is. Cloning TimNet from Computer A to Computer B, the imaging process only took about an hour and a half, size imaged was about 240GB.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:04 AM

To back up your programs, system settings, and files using Windows 7
  1. Open Backup and Restore by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Backup and Restore.

2. In the left pane, click Create a system image, and then follow the steps in the wizard. 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use another Acronis program provided by Seagate that creates an image of my dual booting hdd that contains Ubuntu and Windows 7. I do that maybe every one 

or two months and keep the images on one external drive. DiscWizard | Seagate I know you can clone using DiscWizard. You would need to check to see if

that option is given in the Windows 7 version. But wouldn't imaging do the job for you?

Be sure to create a Repair Disc which can be used to install the images onto an existing or new drive plus perform other Recovery Options.

Create a system repair disc

repairwindows7fromusbflashdrive_thumb.jp

#10 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:13 PM

@SuperSapien64:

The reason I want to clone Windows 7 is because I only have about seven more web activations otherwise I'll have to call Microsoft to activate it.

I am out-of-date with Windows for the most part (thankfully, lol) but it used to be the case that there was code in one or more places in Windows Registry that would keep count of the number of times you used Windows (eg 30) - by cloning your existing setup, that "stopwatch" or "timer") would carry over too, and so you would still be stuffed once the limit expired. Also, I have had it argued to me that the COA (Certificate of Authenticity) number is linked directly to the Motherboard of computers Windows shipped with (except perhaps, Dell). Someone can bail me out here, if I am wrong, & I can learn?

@buddy215:

So making a clone of Windows would kind of waste of time, because  it will still count as a installation and hence I will still have to register Windows. If I understand you correctly?

I wasn't actually being picky intentionally - I have 8 mental disorders, and two of them are (Adult) ADD/ADHD and Asperger's Syndrome. Betwen them, I interpret information differently to others. Hence your saying

Same I also have Autism/Asperger's and mild Psychosis.

... (and yes I know you have edited that) - meant that I required some clarification. No offence meant, hope none taken?

@brainout:

Nice tips, thanks.

I know the OP has this Topic Subject as is, but personally, I just use Clonezilla on a CD-R. Current version I am using is dated 14th October 2015, whatever version and dot point that is. Cloning TimNet from Computer A to Computer B, the imaging process only took about an hour and a half, size imaged was about 240GB.

Either way I think I'll make a clone to an external HDD plus the built in Windows imaging tool.

To back up your programs, system settings, and files using Windows 7
  1. Open Backup and Restore by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Backup and Restore.

2. In the left pane, click Create a system image, and then follow the steps in the wizard. 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use another Acronis program provided by Seagate that creates an image of my dual booting hdd that contains Ubuntu and Windows 7. I do that maybe every one 

or two months and keep the images on one external drive. DiscWizard | Seagate I know you can clone using DiscWizard. You would need to check to see if

that option is given in the Windows 7 version. But wouldn't imaging do the job for you?

Be sure to create a Repair Disc which can be used to install the images onto an existing or new drive plus perform other Recovery Options.

Create a system repair disc

repairwindows7fromusbflashdrive_thumb.jp

Thanks I'll try making a backup image with Windows along with a clone using Clonzilla.

#11 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:27 AM

So making a clone of Windows would kind of waste of time, because  it will still count as a installation and hence I will still have to register Windows. If I understand you correctly?

I wouldn't say "waste of" time - your time is your own, to use as you choose. My disclaimer is that my experience in this area is historical, goes back to XP - and a current Windows user may tell us otherwise, or tell us of a workaround which does not breach licensing arrangements, which is not condoned on BC.

I'll respond to that via PM if that is OK, rather than take your own Topic off topic, but it is nice to make the acquaintance of a fellow sufferer.

Let us know how you go with the Windows imaging, in particular whether the "clock" remains ticking, and the Clonezilla clone.

If you can use a little extra info on Clonezilla, see my Topic http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/569522/cloningghostingsystem-imaging-taking-clonezilla-for-a-walk/

... I will be providing fresh input on recent adventures with Clonezilla next week or so.

Cheers

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,244 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:54 AM

Last time I made a Ghost image of my Windows system I used Hiren's BootCD, It will clone your HDD to DVD ( well several of them ), It works the same way Norton Ghost did.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#13 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2016 - 09:09 PM

I wouldn't say "waste of" time - your time is your own, to use as you choose. My disclaimer is that my experience in this area is historical, goes back to XP - and a current Windows user may tell us otherwise, or tell us of a workaround which does not breach licensing arrangements, which is not condoned on BC.

I'll respond to that via PM if that is OK, rather than take your own Topic off topic, but it is nice to make the acquaintance of a fellow sufferer.

Let us know how you go with the Windows imaging, in particular whether the "clock" remains ticking, and the Clonezilla clone.

If you can use a little extra info on Clonezilla, see my Topic http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/569522/cloningghostingsystem-imaging-taking-clonezilla-for-a-walk/

... I will be providing fresh input on recent adventures with Clonezilla next week or so.

Cheers

Thanks and yes you can PM me.

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:46 AM

OK I wasn't sure but it sounds like your saying Windows 7 has a built in disk cloning tool correct? The reason I want to clone Windows 7 is because I only have about seven more web activations otherwise I'll have to call Microsoft to activate it.

As long as it's installed on the same computer, no worries, and the best thing being, you'll unlikely ever have to speak with an agent. You'll just have to bring up a page with boxes of numbers, and when asked by the automated assistant to say or key these into the phone & verified, you'll be asked to type in some new ones in the empty boxes below this. The good thing is that you can use the Snipping Tool to save the screenshot of this, so that you can repeat the procedure yourself if needed w/out calling. This was an option presented to me just last week, so made a snapshot of the box, along with the numbers I filled the boxes with. Saved to an external drive where I store license keys & to a Flash drive with a similar folder. It's best to save this in this manner, in case a HDD goes bad & have to restore Windows to a new one (or SSD). 

I've restored backup images 4-5+ years old (pre-SP1 images), and though at first would be greeted with a black screen with the watermark in the right corner, once updates were performed, followed by a reboot, all would then be OK. Have never had to call Microsoft over restoring a backup to the same computer, though this may not be the case with everyone. 

Note that only a Full version copy of Windows can be used on different hardware, though a clean install will likely be needed, and probably the best option anyway. Even in the rare instance where the make/model of computer is the same, the computer will have a different hardware fingerprint. 

Have never used Clonezilla to create a drive image, please let us know how it goes afterwards. :)

I use Macrium Reflect (WinPE) for both Windows & Linux imaging, it's free, easy to use, though when imaging drives with Linux, one must use the sector-by-sector backup process. It still compresses the image to some degree. Being that I have one SSD that dual boots Windows 7 Ultimate & Linux Mint 17, this is a great option to have. However, the ultimate test is when the image is needed, so far haven't restored a backup of Linux MInt in any fashion with Macrium, yet when the time comes that I do, will then be able to say for certain if it works or not. 

If you're wanting to image Windows only, I highly recommend Macrium, since around 2007, have had only one image that wouldn't restore & this was a backup taken while Windows was running. Using the WinPE media, one doesn't have to worry over running Windows processes rendering the backup image useless. 

Also I want to clone Windows 7 to a DVD because DVDs last longer then USB thumbdrives,

I agree with this & is why I create my recovery media sets to DVD's only, have lots of time on my hands & an hour to 90 minutes is worth the peace of mind. Some USB drives, particularly USB 3.0 models, doesn't boot into Recovery as it's supposed to, which is why though a bit slower, would use a USB 2.0 model, most of these are compatible if large enough. Though I still prefer DVD's for this task, they'll likely outlast the computer. 

Have never imaged a computer to DVD's, though would recommend to grab a 50 or 100 count pack from Newegg on promo to hold down cost. Normally, I get 100 count sleeves from Newegg for $12.99 on promo with Free or 99 cent shipping. Though in past times, have seen others imaging their XP installs to DVD's, haven't seen this performed in this decade. At today's all time low cost of backup drives ($50-60 for a 1TiB model on promo), this is the better choice if in the budget. If you have a HDD docking station that'll accept both 2.5" & 3.5" SATA HDD's, you can get a 1TiB 'bare' drive (OEM with warranty) for as low as $39, though $45 is the norm, or if you have an extra 2.5" HDD around, you can get a USB 2.0 enclosure on eBay for less than $6. I have three of these, plus a USB 3.0 model that was $8.99. They're made of metal also, which helps to keep one running cool. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-Inch-Black-Sata-USB-2-0-Hard-Drive-HDD-Enclosure-External-Laptop-Disk-Case-/380885054137?hash=item58ae84b2b9:g:w4YAAOSwBahVeM9Q

In the case that you have spare 3.5" SATA HDD's, a docking station would be a good & probably best choice, I cannot recommend an enclosure because the price for a quality one is over half that of a fully assembled backup drive on promo. Just mentioning these ideas because imaging to DVD's, plus the restore afterwards, will be very time consuming for Windows 7. Though the more these are compressed, the better. 

Good Luck in your decision! :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users