Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need help upgrading this computer?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 beticalo

beticalo

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:46 PM

I need to upgrade a computer and I chose HP Slimline 450 Desktop PC

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/hp-slimline-450-desktop-pc-10138658-pdt.html

I basically have to upgrade all these:

RAM

Video Card

Optical disc drive (cd/blu ray disc)

Sound card

Hard drive

Processor

Fan

Motherboard

Thank you for reading. I really need the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:24 PM

Do you mean "replace" when you say "upgrade"?

Where did you get the idea that you need to "upgrade" this system?

Louis

#3 WaltC

WaltC

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:41 PM

Sounds like you should have bought a different computer since you are basically replacing the whole thing.

#4 beticalo

beticalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:51 PM

Do you mean "replace" when you say "upgrade"?

Where did you get the idea that you need to "upgrade" this system?

Louis

Yeah, replace for something better.

Edited by beticalo, 07 January 2016 - 05:51 PM.

#5 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:42 PM

How come? Is it not fast enough or are you taking a class?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#6 beticalo

beticalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:35 AM

How come? Is it not fast enough or are you taking a class?

My class, my teacher told me to get help and recommendations from forums.

#7 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 392 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:07 AM

Then you need to select a computer that actually be upgraded - the one you have "chosen" is pretty much impossible to upgrade as is any "slimline" type- you might be able to upgrade the RAM (but I suspect it may already have it's maximum, the optical drive (if you ensure that you find one that can be fitted to the existing custom HP bezel & the hard drive. Pretty much all the rest is manufacturer specific. The processor is probably soldered to the motherboard & the motherboard can only be an HP Slimline 450 board - nothing else will fit. Fans will be specific to that case. HP's website specifications don't say it has any expansion slots so you probably can't even consider fitting a sound card.

A machine that can have all it's parts upgraded needs to be built entirely using standard size & type parts and case - so nothing slimline or laptop or all in one - & needs to have a fairly average spec to start with so alternative parts you fit are actually an upgrade & not just a "change".

Edited by rqt, 08 January 2016 - 07:09 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:16 AM

Well...let's try to be more specific...about why this system is deemed to be "unworthy" of further use by you.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#9 raymac46

raymac46

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:22 AM

Let me just say that what the OP has here is essentially a laptop setup in a small desktop case.The processor is an APU system on chip, the power supply will be a laptop "brick" external to the case. It is what it is, and aside from maxing out the memory isn't really upgradable. Maybe you could put in an SSD.

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:30 AM

The only other upgrade is a process upgrade, that of adding two pancake usb ext HDs, Macrium Reflect free, and regular backups.  That would show the teacher the student has restorable backups of all important electronic papers, notes, school assignments, school-related URLs, receipts for classes & textbooks, electronic report cards, etc.

Edited by RolandJS, 09 January 2016 - 10:31 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#11 WaltC

WaltC

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:32 AM

I have to question this "teacher". Telling students to go to internet forums to learn and not even giving guidance or guide lines for purchasing the computer for the class.

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:48 PM

I have to question this "teacher". Telling students to go to internet forums to learn and not even giving guidance or guide lines for purchasing the computer for the class.

That could also be part of the lesson; learning to ask questions before and during the quest by the students.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#13 WaltC

WaltC

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:01 PM

True...

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:06 PM

Well...I'd like to see some feedback from the OP...before I start guessing, recommending, etc.

Louis

#15 beticalo

beticalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 02:13 PM

Sorry for the delayed replies

Then you need to select a computer that actually be upgraded - the one you have "chosen" is pretty much impossible to upgrade as is any "slimline" type- you might be able to upgrade the RAM (but I suspect it may already have it's maximum, the optical drive (if you ensure that you find one that can be fitted to the existing custom HP bezel & the hard drive. Pretty much all the rest is manufacturer specific. The processor is probably soldered to the motherboard & the motherboard can only be an HP Slimline 450 board - nothing else will fit. Fans will be specific to that case. HP's website specifications don't say it has any expansion slots so you probably can't even consider fitting a sound card.

A machine that can have all it's parts upgraded needs to be built entirely using standard size & type parts and case - so nothing slimline or laptop or all in one - & needs to have a fairly average spec to start with so alternative parts you fit are actually an upgrade & not just a "change".

So what computer do you suggest I chose? I'm really confused.

Well...let's try to be more specific...about why this system is deemed to be "unworthy" of further use by you.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

I don't actually own the computer I need to upgrade a replace the components on the list with better ones.

Let me just say that what the OP has here is essentially a laptop setup in a small desktop case.The processor is an APU system on chip, the power supply will be a laptop "brick" external to the case. It is what it is, and aside from maxing out the memory isn't really upgradable. Maybe you could put in an SSD.

I think I need to chose a better computer to 'upgrade'. What do you think is a better choice of a computer that allows improvements?

The only other upgrade is a process upgrade, that of adding two pancake usb ext HDs, Macrium Reflect free, and regular backups.  That would show the teacher the student has restorable backups of all important electronic papers, notes, school assignments, school-related URLs, receipts for classes & textbooks, electronic report cards, etc.

What computer do you feel is a better choice then?

He won't help us we need to find it on our own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users