Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New MSI Graphics Card in custom build won't allow comp to boot up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ThePMSBeast

ThePMSBeast

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:20 PM

Hello everyone!

I built this computer a while back, and currently have a Asus Gforce 650 TI graphics card that is dying (Black screen during games etc ) and replaced it with a msi R7370 4G card. Computer powers on, the fans are all blowing, Graphics card lights up, fans spinning on that just fine but I get no posting beeps, no video on the screen and no audio of anything booting up.  Also, the red VGA light on the motherboard stays lit, which i know it has to do with the card or monitor, tested the monitor so that's not it and i am really stumped on what the problem is and hoping it's not a DoA card.  I'm unable to test new card in another gaming computer unfortunately, but with testing with the two other cards i know it's not the monitor or something faulty on the computer.  Is it a bios problem? Software? I have no idea..so i need your help! 

these are the things i did and checked so far: 

1. checked power cables, 6 pin connector to card is plugged in, all power cords checked.

2. Made sure card is firmly seated (did this twice to be sure)

3. Checked to make sure the monitor cable was plugged in and correct (using an DVI for dual support monitor)
4. put my OLD HiS card in to check , works fine.  Reinstalled the Gforce 650ti and that worked as well.

5. Broke a nail, cursed out the new card , cried...came here :P

My specs are this : 

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 
Mobo: Asus M5A99X EVO
BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/20/10 09:47:36 Ver: 08.00.10
Processor: AMD Phenom™ II X6 1075T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
GPU: Asus Nvidia GForce 650ti 
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Power Supply: Antec HCG-750 750W ATX 12V

I have seen other posts about similar topics , but not sure where my problem lies and the solution for it and wanted some expert advice.  I don't want to RMA this card unless it truly is faulty...and i miss playing 
my games! haha

Thanks in advance!

Edited by hamluis, 08 January 2016 - 06:15 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:03 PM

If you know for a fact that the rest of your hardware works, then I would assume the problem does indeed lie in the video card, assuming you have all the proper power hookups are in place
Add into that my past experience with MSI (I've always found them to have a high failure rate) I would rma the card.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 ThePMSBeast

ThePMSBeast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:58 PM

If you know for a fact that the rest of your hardware works, then I would assume the problem does indeed lie in the video card, assuming you have all the proper power hookups are in place
Add into that my past experience with MSI (I've always found them to have a high failure rate) I would rma the card.

From research i was thinking that my Bios might not be up to date enough for the new card? Not sure about this , also did i need to install the drivers for the new card prior to installing it into my computer?  Would that cause all this problem?  really don't want to update bios unless i have to, don't want to mess up my mobo for no reason

EDIT: Uninstalled all drivers from old graphics card.  Installed new ones for MSI card, booted up and nothing.  Any suggestions other then RMA the sucker?

Edited by ThePMSBeast, 07 January 2016 - 06:37 PM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:49 PM

well, as far as drivers go, no you should not have to install the new drivers first. Occasionally, if you dont uninstall the old ones first, you will have issues, but not usually with boot-its usually after you get it installed and install the new drivers, then your system will go haywire, so to speak. I have never heard of the BIOS being able to affect what video card you can or cannot use. They can affect your CPU, but ive never heard of it affecting your video card, and im not finding anything on ASUSs website about it, so I would assume that is not the problem.

The only thing I can think off off hand that could cause that is if you didnt have both of the 6 pin power connectors plugged into the two 6 pin connectors  on the graphics card.

Edited by the_patriot11, 07 January 2016 - 06:50 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 ThePMSBeast

ThePMSBeast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:05 PM

well, as far as drivers go, no you should not have to install the new drivers first. Occasionally, if you dont uninstall the old ones first, you will have issues, but not usually with boot-its usually after you get it installed and install the new drivers, then your system will go haywire, so to speak. I have never heard of the BIOS being able to affect what video card you can or cannot use. They can affect your CPU, but ive never heard of it affecting your video card, and im not finding anything on ASUSs website about it, so I would assume that is not the problem.

The only thing I can think off off hand that could cause that is if you didnt have both of the 6 pin power connectors plugged into the two 6 pin connectors  on the graphics card.

The connector on the Graphic's card is one 6 pin connector, which I have like connector on my PSU.  It's just one plug..  here is the specs on the card, am i missing something?

http://us.msi.com/product/graphics-card/R7-370-GAMING-4G.html#hero-specification

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:21 PM

no you arnt-the specs I was looking at was for a slightly different model. I would just RMA it. It happens, DOAs arnt unheard of.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users