Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Revealed! The crucial detail that Windows 10 privacy critics are missing",ZDNet

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:45 AM

Here we go again, with another ginned-up controversy over Windows 10 and privacy.

I know, I know, you're probably as sick of this as I am, and much of the "controversy" is being spread by dedicated Microsoft haters and clueless writers who make a living with breathless clickbait. They're actually not interested in facts, because the controversy sells so well.

So let's tackle the latest outrage du jour. Betanews and Forbes are shocked, shocked by a recent blog post by Microsoft exec Yusuf Mehdi, who recites statistics about how 200 million users of Windows 10 are using the new OS.

Source: http://www.zdnet.com/article/revealed-the-crucial-detail-that-windows-10-privacy-critics-are-missing/

I agree with Ed about Forbes Windows 10 article titles. It's getting a bit stupid.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,163 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:00 PM

Its Ed Bott though, hes a known Microsoft collaborator, sure Forbes makes a lot of windows 10 articles but its a wink of honesty against ZDnets on again off again love affair with Microsofts paychecks

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:13 PM

Aura:

And as always there's another side...  :whistle:

- Massive Windows 10 News Hides 5 Nasty Surprises

Microsoft shows off just how much data it’s collecting from Windows 10 users

Microsoft may be collecting more data than initially thought

EULA + Telemetry/Spying + Closed Source + Beta OS

I agree, indeed it's getting a bit stupid!  :grinner:

Greets!

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:17 PM

Seeing your post GNULINUX, it really looks like you didn't even read the article I just posted. Also, telemetry isn't spying. If you don't like telemetry, stop using 99% of your software and OS and if you don't like beta OS, stop beta-testing programs and Linux distros. Same for the EULA, stop using Google and Apple products.

Edited by Aura, 07 January 2016 - 01:17 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,163 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:17 PM

And that is why I like ars...

Aura, on 07 Jan 2016 - 1:17 PM, said:
Seeing your post GNULINUX, it really looks like you didn't even read the article I just posted. Also, telemetry isn't spying. If you don't like telemetry, stop using 99% of your software and OS and if you don't like beta OS, stop beta-testing programs and Linux distros. Same for the EULA, stop using Google and Apple products.

Windows 10 is a bit special in several of these regards, its put the whole EULA privacy issue to the forefront and yes while linux is mostly beta software it doesnt cost $200 for a new licence if you need it :D

Edited by MadmanRB, 07 January 2016 - 01:20 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:46 PM

--- Oops,see my next post! ---

Greets!

Edited by GNULINUX, 07 January 2016 - 05:05 PM.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:57 PM

its put the whole EULA privacy issue to the forefront

This is just because it's Microsoft and people needed a black sheep to take the blame, even though the EULA (and the EULA of several other companies) have been the same for years and they have also been using telemetry for years as well. This is why I don't understand all the bashing on Microsoft and I find it a bit selfish. Everyone bashes Microsoft for that, but no one bashes Google, Apple, etc.

If you need to buy a new licence all the time because somehow yours cannot be used anymore, I'm sorry but the issue lies elsewhere than in Microsoft and/or Windows...

unite_blue.png

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,163 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:20 PM

its put the whole EULA privacy issue to the forefront

This is just because it's Microsoft and people needed a black sheep to take the blame, even though the EULA (and the EULA of several other companies) have been the same for years and they have also been using telemetry for years as well. This is why I don't understand all the bashing on Microsoft and I find it a bit selfish. Everyone bashes Microsoft for that, but no one bashes Google, Apple, etc.

If you need to buy a new licence all the time because somehow yours cannot be used anymore, I'm sorry but the issue lies elsewhere than in Microsoft and/or Windows...

There is a strong difference between the apple, google and microsoft ecosystems.

If we are talking about EULA's in mobile devices then there is no issue, people dont tend to put their full banking data on their phones nor videos they downloaded from the internet.

The problem lays with the desktop platform, where as if you dont like google chrome for google you dont have to use it.

While yes you can install linux and be done with privacy concerns most of the world only knows two OS's macs and PC's and that blue E on their desktop.

Most people dont care about inner politics of companies until they become the direct issue of the end user.

That is where most of these issues are coming from, plus Microsoft being a tad more obvious then both Apple and Google.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:01 PM

Aura: It was a choice I made based on my own research.

Just some background info for you...

I was a Windows Insider and tested W10 for 6 months. After that I've got my "free" copy an after another 2 months I deleted W10.

The problem was not W10 (although I considered it beta and they called it retail) but the change M$ has been undergoing.

I found W10 very privacy invasive and it did not add anything to what I have on W7.

Since you (unless you work for M$) nor I can decrypt the (https) telemetry data stream and M$ is closed source, nobody can tell what telemetry represents. You believe M$, I don't! They lied before and did it over and over again...

MadmanRB answered your other arguments. I also want a traditional real desktop OS that I can lock down.

Your other arguments (Apple/Google) have nothing to do with W10 and are also a choice you and everybody has...

To conclude: I don't hate Windows but I strongly dislike the "new" M$ !

PS: I deleted my previous post because I misunderstood what MadmanRB said...  :wink:

Greets!

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:35 PM

The basic fact is, that while there are many articles discussing the "controversy" surrounding what windows 10 DOES, there are nowhere near enough articles (and an especially severe lack of them on large general news sites, although there are a few on tech news sites) discussing how users can prevent it and what methods it has been using to try and get people to install it. Wrong as many think the privcy issues are, the biggest wrong with windows 10 is the intrusiveness of the attempts to push it out.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#11 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 02:14 PM

Gnulinux brought up an important point I have tried to make before. Until someone can actually view the data being collected.  Everything as to what is or is not is all your guess is as good as mine.

Now I have tried viewing this telemetry data at the packet level.  How ever my skills were insufficient to the task.

What I did find out is there are 2 basic types of packet data.  Encoded and plain text.  The plain text data supports my claim that at least some [not all] of this data has to do with collection of information [personal preferences] and the like for advertiseing/marketing purposes. Nothing that would improve the operation of the system.

I asume the encoded data would be microsofts data and they have long protected their source code.  How ever I have no skills at cracking code.  Which would open that other big can of worms. Until that is done for a long enough period of time to establish a viable pattern. We are all just guessing.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#12 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:39 PM

The basic fact is, that while there are many articles discussing the "controversy" surrounding what windows 10 DOES, there are nowhere near enough articles (and an especially severe lack of them on large general news sites, although there are a few on tech news sites) discussing how users can prevent it and what methods it has been using to try and get people to install it. Wrong as many think the privcy issues are, the biggest wrong with windows 10 is the intrusiveness of the attempts to push it out.

And that is no one's fault but the technical press.  I have posted multiple times here about the quick and easy steps that can be taken that, from all appearances, turn off the vast majority of data sharing related to personal information.  It takes all of 10 minutes to step through when you set up Windows 10 on the machine, 20 minutes tops if you visit the websites noted in some of the turning off areas to be absolutely certain that cloud data that may have been collected is deleted and advertising preferences across devices are all the same.

It doesn't sell articles because it's not inflammatory click bait.  It also doesn't account for the fact that the vast majority of personal data access is related to Cortana and Cortana alone (and by Cortana I mean the full-service electronic assistant function - not the process that shares the name that's part of Windows search).

I've also reported on what GlassWire shows as my outgoing data on my machine, which has full system health telemetry turned on, and it's a trickle, not a flood.

The entire controversy regarding Windows 10 and privacy is, as Aura has noted, ginned up.  Take between 10 and 20 minutes to reset things if you don't want to use all the whiz-bang features that Microsoft added after things like Siri took off like a shot.  And, as Aura noted, if you're using those whiz-bang features on any other platform you've granted the entities that provide that service to you virtually entirely the same access as Microsoft asks for if you want to use their version.

If you don't want to use these things, then simply turn them off from the moment of installation where possible (and that is possible with Cortana) and cruise through your privacy settings, all panes, immediately after Windows 10 installation.

Edited by britechguy, 08 January 2016 - 04:41 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#13 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:26 PM

Really? We're doing this again?

Does anyone really care if Microsoft collects non-user-identifiable information about how many people use which service?

I'm with rp88. If you want to complain about something, complain about MS pushing Win 10 on users who don't want it or machines that can't run it.  Everything else, IMO, is just white noise.

#14 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:21 PM

Post #12, I think you missed my point, I was saying in my post #10 that the biggest problem with windows 10 is the pushing attempts to get it widely adopted. I made no criticism of it's privacy or lack thereof but simply stated that there was uncertainty and debate in that regard. I stated that whether windows 10 is as privacy respecting as it's advocates claim, or as privacy violating as it's dislikers claim, that this privacy aspect is not the MAIN ISSUE, the main issue is the pushy attempts to make users (perfectly happy with their current systems) take the risk of moving onto it. I do not see any mention of this main issue in your post. There is no argument which makes it right to push it on users who have already made it quite clear that it is unwelcome on their systems.

Edited by rp88, 15 January 2016 - 01:22 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users