Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System won't boot - application failed to initialize properly 0xc0000005

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 uptown47

uptown47

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:35 AM

Hi all,

I had an issue earlier in the week (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/601342/embedded-windows-xp-crash-after-boot/) with a PC that running chkdsk managed to resolve.

Once I was back into the windows environment I decided to run a backup utility.

However, when I tried to install the software it ran into an error during the install and stopped the installation and then automatically undid the installation.

The computer then hung so I had to reboot.

Upon rebooting the system got as far as the Windows XP splash screen before rebooting again.

I managed to switch off the automatic reboots and then the system reported an error with iertutil.dll

Via the Recovery Console I managed to replace iertutil with a good copy and now the system boots but gives me the following message box:

services.exe - Application Error

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005).Click on OK to terminate the application.

However, I can't click OK as the keyboard and mouse don't work (they are plugged into the USB ports and there must not be any power on them as there's no red light under the optical mouse).

The very same thing happens in Safe Mode too so I can't run in Safe Mode.

Booting to last known good configuration does exactly the same too.

I ran chkdsk /r again but that didn't help.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this?

Many thanks :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:05 AM

Have you tried undoing the iertutil replacement that you did?

Have you tried System Restore to restore to a point before the system wouldn't boot?

Have you tried a manual registry replacement using a backup of the registry from a point before the system wouldn't boot?

Have you tried other USB ports for your mouse and keyboard.  At times the USB3 ports may not work while the USB2 one's do.

Do you have PS2 ports for the mouse and keyboard?  Have you tried a PS2 mouse and keyboard?

Did you make the backups as suggested in the previous topic?

Are you able to restore any of the backups?

Have you taken any of the steps listed in the previous topic?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 uptown47

uptown47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:27 AM

Hi usasma,

I'll answer your questions in turn...

Have you tried undoing the iertutil replacement that you did? - Yes and then I just get back to the situation where the computer reported a problem with iertutil.dll

Have you tried System Restore to restore to a point before the system wouldn't boot? - Can't access windows to do a System Restore

Have you tried a manual registry replacement using a backup of the registry from a point before the system wouldn't boot? - I don't have any backup of the registry.

Have you tried other USB ports for your mouse and keyboard.  At times the USB3 ports may not work while the USB2 one's do. - I've tried all USB ports (4 of them) and none of them work

Do you have PS2 ports for the mouse and keyboard?  Have you tried a PS2 mouse and keyboard? - There is no PS2 port

Did you make the backups as suggested in the previous topic? - It was during installing the software to make a backup that the computer hung and these problems happened.

Are you able to restore any of the backups? - I don't have any backups

Have you taken any of the steps listed in the previous topic? - I've done the chkdsk /r thing a few times but to no avail (last known good configuration doesn't work - safe mode doesn't work etc)

I'm presuming there's no way of accessing System Restore from the Recovery Console?

Thanks for your help :-)

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:51 AM

From recovery console, try running rstrui.exe to see if you can access system restore.

Beyond that, I don't even have a copy of XP to try things with - much less a copy of the embedded version.

I'd suggest posting over in the XP forums for some more expert help:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/56/windows-xp-home-and-professional/

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 uptown47

uptown47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:26 AM

Thanks for the info.

I believe rstrui doesn't run from cmd prompt :-(

I'll post the info on the other forum as you suggest.

Thanks again

:-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users