Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Pro Reboot Problems!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nfithteen

Nfithteen

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:28 AM

I have just insalled Windows XP Pro but i choose to reformat the harddrive rather then upgrade my existing OS (XP Home) after backing up my data.

After going through the installation process i found that:

- in my (C:)drive there was a folder containing my old "documents and settings" and "program files" How do i delete this folder. (I have tried to boot my computer in safe mode but it continually goes bk to safe mode boot screen)

- Also i have found that my ATI graphics card is not running

- B4 i installed the XP Pro i had a network connection via x-cross network cable from the host pc. I have now found trouble trying to create the network connection.

Whats best for me to do?

So far that is all the problems i have come across.

Solutions to these problems will be highly appreciated.

Please Please Please help!

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:55 AM

Once you install Windows, you then have to install little pieces of software called drivers so that Windows can talk to the various pieces of hardware on your computer. Each computer has different hardware, so each individual computer uses a different set of drivers.

Often these drivers come on a disk with your computer, or piece of hardware. Insert the disk and install the needed drivers.

It sounds like you need a video driver, and perhaps a LAN driver for your ethernet (internet/network) connection to work. Typically you also need to install a Chipset driver and a sound driver, as well as possibly others.

You can tell if you need drivers by going to:

Start > right click on My Computer > Manage > Device Manager

If you see any yellow or red question marks or exclamation points in the right payne, then you need to install a driver for that device (piece of hardware) as Windows is not able to talk to it.

If you do not have a driver disk, then tell us exactly the make and model number of your computer and video card (if the video card is not original equipment) and we might be able to steer you to the correct web site for downloading drivers. Then you will need to burn the drivers to a CD, insert the CD into your computer and then install the needed drivers.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:30 AM

If you formatted the drive and did a fresh install there should have been no documents or pictures remaining on the drive.

It sounds like you did an upgrade install - not a fresh, full installation.

#4 Nfithteen

Nfithteen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 10:03 AM

Thanks Albert Frankenstein ill get the list of drivers i need

And Enthusiast i done a fresh install just that there is a folder containing the old files.

What do i do to delete it?the "access denied" keeps coming up?

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 10:09 AM

This file might be from the backup on the installation that windows makes when installing. I have a question about this Windows XP - is this a copy of a installation disk or an original instal disk?

If it is an original Windows install disk is it the one for this computer or is it from another model computer?

#6 Nfithteen

Nfithteen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 10:12 AM

It is a ligit COPY of windows pro...but it not the one for my pc...y?

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 10:19 AM

It has to be the one for your PC and since it is not the correct one it is illegal because it is not the correct one. If the windows Software is from a computer like a Compaq or other one it may be specific to that computer and processor and might work somewhat but will not fully work and the only way to fix this is for you to purchase a proper Windows install cd and do a full rte-install with format.

#8 tkcraw

tkcraw

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:27 PM

No matter what company the cd is from if it is a windows xp cd then doing a format will always come out the same with the exception of error or what not that may occur. If it was a true clean install the the only thing that i would think of would be if there is another partition or drive on the computer that is holding that folder. Even if that is the case then you should be able to remove it without any problems. Just to make sure here is a link including the proper way to do a clean install it should come out clean http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316941/en-us. The only thing that i did not notice in the clean install section is that you will want to delete the current partition then create a new partition and make sure that it is the max. file size. The max size should be there by default but check to make sure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users