Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Factory Settings

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 zappiy

zappiy

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:38 AM

If I were to use a Windows 7 disk and restore it to factory defaults what would be the steps on doing it. I just want to make sure I don't do anything wrong. I remember there being the options to whether you want to delete or reformat. If I wanted to make it as if it was new and there's no other files from the previous what would I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,883 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:25 AM

If it is the computer manufacturer's disk then it will contain all the drivers and software for restoring the computer to original. If you have

changed any hardware then either Windows 7 updates will find and offer to install the correct drivers or you will need to go to the hardware

manufacturer for the correct driver(s).

When asked to reformat...do that. That is all that is needed to remove access to existing files.

Be sure to go directly to Windows Updates to get all of the Security updates before installing any other software after restoring the computer to original.

Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once hosts a lot of the popular programs for Windows. The downloads there do not contain adware that almost

all free programs come bundled with these days.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:14 AM

If the computer is off-the-shelf, it should have a recovery partition to use. This takes the place of the OS disk. The partition contains all the drivers for the system.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:21 PM

Please post the make and model of this computer.  I will find instructions for using the recovery partition.

Most of these partitions revert the computer to the condition it had when it came out of the box.  This means that any programs, pictures, videos, data, etc. will be lost when you use the recovery partition.

Having said that, I will add that some manufacturers have a second option which will not effect your data.  I won't know if this is an option for you until you post the requested information.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:16 PM

My Acers' recovery partition was kicked into gear by clicking on Acer Restore Center [?spelling?] -- I was allowed to either install a particular program or driver set, or, start the factory restore etal.  Maybe under Windows Accessories?  I think many manufacturers have done this entry-way.

Edited by RolandJS, 07 January 2016 - 01:18 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:22 PM

My Acers' recovery partition was kicked into gear by clicking on Acer Restore Center [?spelling?] -- I was allowed to either install a particular program or driver set, or, start the factory restore etal.  Maybe under Windows Accessories?  I think many manufacturers have done this entry-way.

You are speculating.  Let's wait until we know what this computer is before making suggestions.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 zappiy

zappiy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:44 PM

Please post the make and model of this computer.  I will find instructions for using the recovery partition.

Most of these partitions revert the computer to the condition it had when it came out of the box.  This means that any programs, pictures, videos, data, etc. will be lost when you use the recovery partition.

Having said that, I will add that some manufacturers have a second option which will not effect your data.  I won't know if this is an option for you until you post the requested information.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 1/7/2016, 10:43:29
       Machine name: D-PC
   Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.151019-1254)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUS
       System Model: All Series
               BIOS: BIOS Date: 11/04/14 17:54:05 Ver: 11.07
          Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
             Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8130MB RAM
          Page File: 4285MB used, 11974MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

#8 zappiy

zappiy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:46 PM

This computer was built, its not off the shelf.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:51 PM

Then you should have the Windows installation disc, right?

#10 zappiy

zappiy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:53 PM

Yes

Edited by hamluis, 07 January 2016 - 03:42 PM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:56 PM

You should also have the CD which came with the motherboard to install the drivers, right?

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:59 PM

http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Windows-7-(Beginners)

#13 zappiy

zappiy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:08 PM

You should also have the CD which came with the motherboard to install the drivers, right?

I updated the motherboard on the asus website.

If that's related lol.

Thank you for link.

Edited by zappiy, 07 January 2016 - 02:09 PM.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:11 PM

What exactly do you mean that you updated the motherboard?  Do you mean you updated the drivers?

#15 zappiy

zappiy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:38 PM

Well I was looking for the ASUS motherboard disk but i can't seem to find it anywhere...

Is there an alternate method?

Edited by hamluis, 07 January 2016 - 03:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users