Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen at startup - laptop

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 mhal

mhal

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:22 PM

Hi, this is my first post.  :)

Replaced power plug on an old compaq laptop nx7000, and resoldered bios battery cradle onto motherboard.

When  pressing the laptop's power button, the power button's green light tuns on, and on the front of the laptop the green power indicator light, the orange charging indicator light and blue wireless indicator light all shine.

The cpu fan spins for around 2 seconds and then stops. The laptop dvd drive spins up. The hard drive doesn't seem to be activated. The screen is black and remains black. Nothing happens hereafter.

The laptop has 2 GB ram (2 x 1GB). I have tried different ram stick combinations and placements of the ram  to rule out bad ram. Same result as above: Black screen etc.

I have tried booting up without ram. Same result as above: Black screen etc.

I have tried booting up without hard drive. Same result as above: Black screen etc.

I have tried booting up without hard drive, battery, ram. Same result as above: Black screen etc.

Any ideas?

Warm regards, and a happy new years! :wizard:

Marty

P.s. Laptop would boot perfectly into Windows before abovementioned procedure, but had problems with the power plug and the BIOS battery cradle. :/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users