Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installing linux with win7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 raggor1

raggor1

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:44 PM

I want to install linux on another hard drive,

What is the way to install it ?

Boot from iso select drive create partition and save ? 

Will i have a bootloader asking wich one i want to boot on ? 

Thanks by advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:10 PM

Usually linux will leave the windows drive alone when using multiple hard drives, to be on the safe side though do take note at the names of the hard drives.

If from the same brand and same type it can get tricky

Edited by MadmanRB, 06 January 2016 - 06:10 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:23 PM

I want to install linux on another hard drive

Sounds like a plan.

What is the way to install it ?

Most Linux distros come in the form of an ISO, which is a DVD or CD image used to re-create the disc. You can use a disc burning tool that supports ISO images to burn a DVD disc. Many linux distros also can be made into usb-installers using tools like unetbootin or Rufus, so if you have spare flashdrive that would be an option too.

Boot from iso select drive create partition and save ?

The exact steps vary from distro to distro, but typically you'll boot your disc or flashdrive, complete an installer, and reboot. Sometimes you need to pre-setup your harddrive partitions.

Will i have a bootloader asking wich one i want to boot on ?

For many distros, yes.

I would suggest, before you go jumping in, that perhaps you just decide on which Linux distro you want to try, and if it is available in a live form (many distros are) you'll be able to burn the ISO to a disc, or create a live-flashdrive, which you can use to try the OS without installing it. This way you can see if it works nicely with your hardware, and whether you even like it, before you actually install it. Please note, that when trying an OS like this, it is much slower performing than normal, because DVDs and flashdrives usually have poor read speeds.

If you need suggestions for which OS to try, you might want to give everyone an idea of what the OS will be used for, what your hardware specs are, and such.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,481 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:01 PM

I want to install linux on another hard drive,  Does that Drive have any thing else on it? and how is it connected to pc?

What is the way to install it ?  From a LinuxLiveMedium-DVD-USB, OR CD.  That you can easily create.

Boot from iso select drive create partition and save ?  Above, but you will need more directions and we will need more information.

Will i have a bootloader asking wich one i want to boot on ?  Depends where you install Bootloader and if there is another OS on same drive.  If only one Linux OS on the one drive then no, unless you want it.  The Default would be to show a "Bootloader" only after the second OS is installed.

Thanks by advance!

Answers in Blue above.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,481 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:15 PM

Maybe this will get you started:

Linux Starter

1.) There are many many Linux Operating Systems, called Distro's, I always suggest Linux Mint for beginners, though the Ubuntu's are just as popular but maybe a little less intuitive to me, here are the Links below.

http://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=25

http://www.ubuntu.com/about/about-ubuntu/flavours

2.) It's best if the Bleepingcomputer Community takes a look at your Computer Specs First. This way you will get the best Distro/Operating System for your pc which I will cover in #3 below.

Before that, I feel it's a good idea to take a look at the Link below...which covers many things to get you started, and prompt some good questions for your first Linux Thread here at Bleepingcomputer.com. It's an Ubuntu Link - which Linux Mint and others are based on, so things might look a little different than other Distro's but the mechanics are the same. Just Browse over it first to see what applies to your situation, and Operating System that you are using to download and create your LinuxLiveMedium. Don't hesitate to ask before you run the LinuxLiveSession or install – it might save you some Big headaches.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

3.) Posting your Computer Specification's is optional of course but very helpful and highly suggested. Otherwise Members are just guessing as to the best Distro for your pc. It also allows us to see what type and how many partitions are on your pc at this time, which is critical to your new Install.

a.) You can start here if you want to do this using Windows with the software called “Speccy” from “Piriform” that works in Windows only. It can be a little confusing so if you have any questions please put this in your new Thread:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/#entry1797792

b.) Or, if you have already created your new LinuxLiveDVD-USB-CD, you can do this Linux Style. While in a LinuxLiveDVD-USB-CD Session you can use these Terminal Commands to get the general Specs of your pc. This is easier than Speccy IMO - but Linux Style.

Open the Terminal while in LinuxLiveSession, “Copy” “Paste” one of these commands into the Terminal and hit Enter:

1.) For LinuxMint Distros use: inxi -Fxz

Or

2.) For Ubuntu Releases use: sudo lshw -short

Then Highlight outcome in the Terminal > “Right Click” in Terminal "Copy" > then “Right Click” "Paste" the outcome to your new Thread. Hopefully you are able to be on-line, if not, then you can also "Save" this to a Word document while in LinuxLiveMedium to your personal files on a USB/Flash Drive - for use any time someone asks for Specs. If you don't have a USB, then you can also save this to your Windows File System, just ask for instructions.

For USB, Go to Menu > Office > LibreOffice Writer, AbiWord or what ever Word/Writer processor you see there, Paste the outcome to Document > Go To Top Left Drop-down "File", Choose "Save As" > Type in “File Name” at Top > Choose File Destination, USB Should be seen in the Left Pane, > Choose Drop-down at Bottom Right that says "All Formats" > Scroll down and choose the proper "File Type" Ending in (.doc) for Windows XP and earlier, and (.docx) for all After XP. Or even "Open Office XML Text (.docx)" if using AbiWord or Open Offfice.

pcpunk out

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users