Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any windows 7 boost programs free?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 GREEN00

GREEN00

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:20 PM

Does anybody suggest any good programs that would boost my windows 7 computer?  I want it to run like twice as fast as it does now. I like the one with lots of customization options to where you can clean your startup programs and everything you can imagine, tweakable.

I don't want to hurt my computer by like overclocking it or anything. Just simple programs that turn PC's around and make them waayy faster.

Can you help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:32 PM

"PC Booster/Tune Up" programs are part of the worst programs you can install on a system. When it comes to messing up your system (Windows), these are as worst as malware. They are completely worthless and useless to use. The worst is that they'll often take action on your system without you knowing, nor authorizing it, which could lead to your system being altered in a way you don't want it to be or even worst, a "broke" system. Every feature they provide, you can either do it natively under Windows, do it via another standalone executable (which is way easier and safer to use) or they aren't providing something you need. Here's a few examples:
  • Cleaning temporary files: TFC (standalone executable), CCleaner (installed), Cleanmgr.exe (in-built);
  • Managing start-up entries: Autoruns (standalone executable), CCleaner (installed), Task Manager and Registry (in-built);
  • Driver Updater: Not needed, all you need is to go on your manufacturer website so you'll be sure to get the right, official, working drivers for your computer or hardware;
  • Registry Cleaner/Defragger: Completely useless and also dangerous;
  • Disk Defragging: Disk Defrag (in-built), O&O Disk Defrag (installed), Defraggler (installed);
  • Powerful uninstaller: Not needed, only needed when you have to make sure a program is completely uninstalled. Revo Uninstaller have a portable version you can use;
  • "Enhanced" Task Manager: Procexp (standalone executable), Process Hacker (portable or installed);
  • "Active security": Any Antivirus and Antimalware can beat that, easily. These programs aren't made to replace Antivirus or Antimalware products and shouldn't be seen as such;
  • Repair Hard Drive issues: Simple chkdsk /r command under Windows (in-built);
Having such program installing on your system will just bloat it down and you have more chances to have issues by using them than without. These products are advertised as a program that can solve all your issues, remove every malware, speed up your computer performance over 100%, etc. The truth is that there's not a single program that can do that. First of all, these programs aren't made to remove virus and malware, leave this in the hands of Antivirus and Antimalware, period. Secondly, there's so many kind of issues under Windows that there's not a single program that can address them all. If you think that BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) issues can be solved by opening a program and clicking on a "Fix" button, then I'm sorry to tell you but, you're wrong. Also, you cannot boost the performance of a hardware over it's hardware capabilities. Of course you can overclock some components, like your CPU, RAM and GPU, but these aren't done via these programs, but via your BIOS interface. I could recommend you a program for every feature these programs advertise, and also tell you exactly in detail why most of them are completely useless, such as Registry cleaner (dangerous to use), and driver updater (dangerous to use, and also completely useless, it'll not improve your system performance). In the end, buying such programs is the exact same as being scammed (because this is what it is, a pure scam) and using one of these programs will result you in having a system less performant than prior to using it.

Relevant articles if you want to read more about PC Boosters/Optimizers and why they are useless:<<

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 GREEN00

GREEN00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:05 PM

Thank you for such a lengthy reply, you seem like you really know what you are talking about, I must agree to that. I am stumped though because where should I start? Personally, I think I am going to start with doing a disk defrag. Another thing about me is I don't like reading articles that much I like 1 on 1 support kind of like use chatting right now you know? So if you could hangout with me for a while and kind of walk me though things at a normal pace I would have unlimited respect for you because I know you aren't payed for this, this must just be your hobby? 

Either way brother. Thank you for the support. Hope to hear from you again soon.

Ohh wait, couple more questions below:

What is a standalone executable?  How do I get to the chkdsk/r command? I would like to try defragging my harddrive and doing the chkdsk thing first I guess. 

I am no pro when it comes to computers, let me get that out of the way also. But I am not a beginner either. I'm somewhere in the middle.

Edited by hamluis, 07 January 2016 - 09:43 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:09 PM

Standalone executable is usually an .exe file for a program, or application that doesn't require to be installed on the system in order to be used. For instance, TFC (Temp File Cleaner) is a standalone executable.

Also, why do you think your system is slow now and could be optimized? Do you have any issues with it?

Edited by Aura, 06 January 2016 - 08:09 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:08 PM

Does anybody suggest any good programs that would boost my windows 7 computer?  I want it to run like twice as fast as it does now.

There is no program in existence that can make your computer run twice as fast.  Not even 1% faster.  You'd better get that clear in your head.  Any program that claims it can make your computer faster is a scam.  If you want a faster computer you have to put out the bucks for a faster computer.

#6 GREEN00

GREEN00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 12:06 AM

But i am not to fond of using programs that come with the operating system to boost/improve performance on my computer. But if you are saying that not even 1% is possible I thing that is wrong. When you can clearly navigate around quicker after using a program. Yes I agree they can be bad for your computer if you don't know what you are doing. But honestly, no recommendations folks?

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:08 AM

But if you are saying that not even 1% is possible I thing that is wrong. When you can clearly navigate around quicker after using a program.

Where did you hear that there is such a program?  Could you post a link?

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:01 AM

But i am not to fond of using programs that come with the operating system to boost/improve performance on my computer. But if you are saying that not even 1% is possible I thing that is wrong. When you can clearly navigate around quicker after using a program. Yes I agree they can be bad for your computer if you don't know what you are doing. But honestly, no recommendations folks?

Why aren't you too fond of using built-in programs? You prefer to install third-party programs which will take hard drive space, CPU and RAM usage instead of using something that is already there?

unite_blue.png

#9 GREEN00

GREEN00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:49 PM

But if you are saying that not even 1% is possible I thing that is wrong. When you can clearly navigate around quicker after using a program.

Where did you hear that there is such a program?  Could you provide a link?

No I can't provide a link, I just said what I meant in a "common sense" sort of way. Not trying to be a smarty pants or nothing like that, but can't some of use agree?  

Don't get me wrong. I am sure that a lot of the problems I have had with my computers in the past "maybe" have been from certain boost programs, or cleaner type programs...who knows? Not me, I am not a computer expert, nowhere near that. Maybe more of it is in my head, you know, like, me just "thinking" I am surfing the web, or gaming at better speeds. But then again, sometimes I swear I can notice it...

But I am completely on Aura side when it comes to what he is saying, I don't doubt him for a minute that using these programs all the time and switching around and using all different types of them will eventually cause errors or what ever it may be.

The only reason I use such programs is, I guess, because everything is in one package? Like CCleaner for example, it has a lot of different options all in the one program and like everybody in the world (exaggerating) uses it. You know?

I also have been using a program that helps supposable boost windows and has tons of features with it call "Wise Care 365". The free version only comes with so much, but I kind of like it. After having a lot of programs opened up while working or surfing the web, when I am done I click the boost button and it frees up memory. Now, most of what I free up comes back and restarts on its own, but some things don't (depending on which programs I had open).

I am just flabbergasting(I don't even know what this word really means), but take everything I say with a grain of salt. As said before I am no where near a computer expert, nor claim to be.

I am here for the purpose of "wanting" to be a computer expert, in certain areas, that is. Don't use none of these programs unless you know what you are doing because you can mess your computer up, I do agree with what Auro said. When I use them I am vary cautious and if I see problems I try to figure out why I got that problem and try to figure out how to fix it.

I am done talking on this post, I have to post a reply to Auro now. Good luck my friend, stay safe!!!. :)

#10 GREEN00

GREEN00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:58 PM

Why aren't you too fond of using built-in programs? You prefer to install third-party programs which will take hard drive space, CPU and RAM usage instead of using something that is already there?

Talking about hard drive space doesn't even really worry me 1%. I have a 250GB hard drive and the way I use my computer I probably won't ever use 1/4th of that.

I have another laptop that has 500GB of hard drive space. I probably will use only 10% to 20% of that, at most I would say. Mainly because when I am done with something, I am the type of person to just uninstall it off of my system.

Ok, now I shall cut to the chase. What programs do you recommend that is on my Windows 7 Home Premium Operating System that will, "not boost", as you say isn't possible, but enhance my computer so it will work more properly? I know I sound stupid for asking that, but like I said, I signed up here to learn. I see myself using computers and being on computers the rest of my life and I am always worried about my security and privacy. I love speed as well. One day I want to be able to build or just buy a rig that will run any game (Yes I am a gamer) max settings without a flaw. I am that type of guy. I am very tech savvy, every since I got into computers they have drove me nuts. Which is a good thing and a bad thing. The good thing is, I always find something to work on when I am on a computer. The bad thing is, when I can't figure something out, it drives me crazy and I can't sleep.

I look up to you Auro, hopefully I will learn some new stuff hanging around here from you. Thanks for the replies my friend, they indeed, do help me..

Note: You previous asked in the post, why I am not fond of using what is on my system to help me, rather than using programs. The answer to that is simply that, I started using programs from the get-go, so I usually am always searching for ones that I trust and that I would like to try out with my computers. So basically, its just a "How I grew up" sort of gig, if you catch my drift.. 

Edited by GREEN00, 12 January 2016 - 12:04 AM.

#11 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 07:48 AM

Don't get me wrong. I am sure that a lot of the problems I have had with my computers in the past "maybe" have been from certain boost programs, or cleaner type programs...who knows? Not me, I am not a computer expert, nowhere near that. Maybe more of it is in my head, you know, like, me just "thinking" I am surfing the web, or gaming at better speeds. But then again, sometimes I swear I can notice it...

If I can't convince you then one of our moderators may...

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:01 AM

I also have been using a program that helps supposable boost windows and has tons of features with it call "Wise Care 365". The free version only comes with so much, but I kind of like it. After having a lot of programs opened up while working or surfing the web, when I am done I click the boost button and it frees up memory. Now, most of what I free up comes back and restarts on its own, but some things don't (depending on which programs I had open).

You can achieve the same result using a single batch script by the way.

What programs do you recommend that is on my Windows 7 Home Premium Operating System that will, "not boost", as you say isn't possible, but enhance my computer so it will work more properly?

It really depends of what you want to do. You can use the Disk Defragging, System Clean-Up, Control Panel to uninstall programs, CHKDSK, SFC, DISM (under Windows 8 and above), built-in Java panel, built-in Flash panel, msconfig, Task Manager, etc. Plus, you don't need to run any of these daily. It's really when you experience issues. A lot of people are under the impression that Windows needs to be cleaned up constantly, it doesn't. When you need to use these tools and features, it's pretty much because you want to accomplish a certain purpose: delete temporary files, uninstall a program you don't need, repair a bad sector on your drive, disable useless services and programs on startup, etc.

Also, if you're really serious about wanting to spend the rest of your life using computers and you are tech-savy, you'll eventually come to the realization by yourself that using such programs is useless. Whenever I see someone calling himself a "tech support" or else and I see him using programs like Wise Care, Glary Utilities, etc. and he doesn't know about SFC, DISM, CHKDSK, etc. I can't help but laugh, because this isn't a tech. How can you take care of your system, if you don't know it, nor understand it you know? Don't be like these guys. Yes, BleepingComputer is a forum oriented towards users of all level and we will help you regardless of your question, but there's a difference between teaching you good practice, and giving you the answer you want to have. In the end, it's your decision, but I won't be giving advice that can harm one's computer just because he doesn't like the truth I'm presenting him.

unite_blue.png

#13 JosephPorter

JosephPorter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:20 AM

"PC Booster/Tune Up" programs are part of the worst programs you can install on a system. When it comes to messing up your system (Windows), these are as worst as malware. They are completely worthless and useless to use. The worst is that they'll often take action on your system without you knowing, nor authorizing it, which could lead to your system being altered in a way you don't want it to be or even worst, a "broke" system. Every feature they provide, you can either do it natively under Windows, do it via another standalone executable (which is way easier and safer to use) or they aren't providing something you need. Here's a few examples:

• Cleaning temporary files: TFC (standalone executable), CCleaner (installed), Cleanmgr.exe (in-built);
  • Managing start-up entries: Autoruns (standalone executable), CCleaner (installed), Task Manager and Registry (in-built);
  • Driver Updater: Not needed, all you need is to go on your manufacturer website so you'll be sure to get the right, official, working drivers for your computer or hardware;
  • Registry Cleaner/Defragger: Completely useless and also dangerous;
  • Disk Defragging: Disk Defrag (in-built), O&O Disk Defrag (installed), Defraggler (installed);
  • Powerful uninstaller: Not needed, only needed when you have to make sure a program is completely uninstalled. Revo Uninstaller have a portable version you can use;
  • "Enhanced" Task Manager: Procexp (standalone executable), Process Hacker (portable or installed);
  • "Active security": Any Antivirus and Antimalware can beat that, easily. These programs aren't made to replace Antivirus or Antimalware products and shouldn't be seen as such;
  • Repair Hard Drive issues: Simple chkdsk /r command under Windows (in-built);
Having such program installing on your system will just bloat it down and you have more chances to have issues by using them than without. These products are advertised as a program that can solve all your issues, remove every malware, speed up your computer performance over 100%, etc. The truth is that there's not a single program that can do that. First of all, these programs aren't made to remove virus and malware, leave this in the hands of Antivirus and Antimalware, period. Secondly, there's so many kind of issues under Windows that there's not a single program that can address them all. If you think that BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) issues can be solved by opening a program and clicking on a "Fix" button, then I'm sorry to tell you but, you're wrong. Also, you cannot boost the performance of a hardware over it's hardware capabilities. Of course you can overclock some components, like your CPU, RAM and GPU, but these aren't done via these programs, but via your BIOS interface. I could recommend you a program for every feature these programs advertise, and also tell you exactly in detail why most of them are completely useless, such as Registry cleaner (dangerous to use), and driver updater (dangerous to use, and also completely useless, it'll not improve your system performance). In the end, buying such programs is the exact same as being scammed (because this is what it is, a pure scam) and using one of these programs will result you in having a system less performant than prior to using it.

Relevant articles if you want to read more about PC Boosters/Optimizers and why they are useless: <<

Gonna try some of this things this week and hope it works on my rig. Thanks for sharing

#14 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:57 PM

I have some suggestions:

- Install PcwinTech's Cleanmem. It reduces memory usage every 15 minutes. Reduced memory usage means less disk I/O. And disk I/O is comparatively slow.

- You can turn off a lot of graphic gimmicks in Windows 7.

- Reduce the amount of programs running in the background (Task Manager) and that are run from Task Scheduler. Try to keep the amount of program/processes running (Task Manager) at or below say 70.

Combined with a number of other small adjustments/tweaks (See above or GOOGLE it) you can increase the speed of your system by say 10%.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:42 PM

For Willy:  I'm curious as to how you can assert such...without any data at all about the OP's system and what is installed on it, hard drive space, and other data which might lend itself to such a quantifiable estimate of improvement.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users