Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop inoperable for 3 months, can't find the problem, need extended assistan,

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LushusLucius

LushusLucius

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 03:47 PM

About 3 months ago, a local brown out due to a blown transformer killed my power supply. It ran fine until I smelled burning dust somewhere, I couldn't figure it out until I heard a *pop* inside the power supply. Because I'm currently an IT student, I was able to take it to class and it was used as a hands on project. We gave it a spare 250 watt power supply that we had laying around until I can invest in a better one (my old ps was 500 watts). After we fixed it in class, it ran fine, I was able to log in and everything. The thing worked. Then I removed the hard drive for safe transport, packed up the computer and took it home. When I set it back up however, the computer could not boot to the hard drive at all.

An important detail, my mother gave me her old work computer, 4gb RAM and some notebook processor, it's suitable for my needs, but if I could get my old one working again, that would be great, anyway, I wanted to see if I could switch the much better 6 core processor from my old computer and put it into my mothers workstation, but couldn't as the CPU fan can only be accessed from the back of the motherboard, but is inaccessible because the back plate is riveted shut. This detail is important because my next problem arose after attempting to tinker with my old computer again and putting the CPU back in the case.

I plugged everything into my old computer and started it up, instead this time, instead of it POSTing and giving an error that it can't boot to the hard drive, nothing happened at all. It turns on, then the system speaker beeps once as usual, the fans spin, everything is working internally, but nothing is displayed onto the monitor, even after leaving it alone for two hours in that state. It isn't the monitor as the startup is displayed onto the monitor from my mothers machine, but not this one. The mouse and keyboard light up normally as well. A notable detail is when turning the computer off with the power button, the computer shuts off immediately instead of delaying the shut down while holding the power button. Yes, the RAM sticks are inserted correctly as well as the CPU. The CPU remains undamaged and the motherboard is fine.

I don't know what I could have done for it to behave any differently, this change from not being able to boot to not even displaying anything is seemingly random. I know I must be overlooking something simple. Trust me, I've searched high and low for the solution and tinkered with this thing for long enough without directly consulting a forum. Any answers would be highly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:50 AM

Computer specs?

#3 LushusLucius

LushusLucius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:54 AM

As luck would have it, after three months of not finding the problem, I noticed a day later that one of the SATA cables had a barely noticable cut in it, disrupting power transmission to the hard drive.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:56 AM

Good, problem solved then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users