Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Returning to IT

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 coffeeplz

coffeeplz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 02:17 PM

This is lengthy but would like to paint a picture of my past in order to ask for advice on how to catch up where the world is today.   

After a few bad job decisions, burnout, and views of greener pastures, my inner conscious continues to point me back to a profession in the IT world.  

In 97 I entered the systems world as a self-taught desktop support tech with additional exposure to networking and light admin functions. At this point I had completed my MCSE for Windows NT. This led to consulting which provided me the opportunity to work with leading technology and administrative roles. I had acquired an MCSE for 2003.  In 04,I took a position at a large corporation and assumed a admin role following corporate technology standards so my exposure became limited. I transitioned into a management role and the day to day support became less and less. I left there wanting to get back into the current technologies and took a position at a retailer of which was just emerging into the technology realm, only to find they did not really have the budget for it.  By 2010 I was burnt out.  I took a logistical analyst role at a company of which I have been since. 

My desire is to return to the IT profession but after reviewing where tech is now and where I left off, I have much to catch up on.  

In the days of old, I would load a copy of a necessary O/S or software and spend my evenings dissecting the functionality of each aspect to the point I understood the function and purpose for each.  This in addition to books and calls to friends in the field.

So today, my IT friend pool is limited and access to software at a minimum.  My previous knowledge is fuzzy but the more I read, it continues to come back. There is an abundance of resources available on the web, more so than 5 -10 years ago, but I still find myself digging for the right place to pick back up.

My initial thought is to download an eval of 2012 R2 and tear it apart. Get a good 70-410 book and put the time in.  Find where my interests are after and continue perusing a current MCSE, if anything for the exposure.

I have had offers for admin roles as my resume and past experience could possible fit the bill, but I do not want to take on something I cannot live up to.

With all this said, I’m looking for advice on what you would suggest given the past experience and reality of today’s tech world. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:03 AM

How important is salary?  Going from management back to front line is going to result in a pay cut.  I'm the first to say that money isn't everything, but you need to address that up front.

What job are you looking for?  I don't know that you're going to need to update your certifications.  You have a solid foundation, with experience.  Picking up the current technology shouldn't be difficult.

Don't worry about taking an Admin job and being lost.  The day to day stuff will come right back.  As long as they aren't looking to merge domains you should be fine.  What you don't know you can quickly find on the web.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users