Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PDF files in Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TLARbb

TLARbb

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 01:36 PM

I have always used AdobeReader as default program for pdfs on my computer.  At some point in the upgrade/update processes for Win 10, Edge was made as the default program for .pdf files and Adobe Reader is not in the list that comes up when you go to the default programs app, even though it is installed and shows up in the install/uninstall applet in the control panel and it works properly when opened as a stand alone program.  What happens now, MS Edge starts in a new window.  Not what I want to happen.

Upon opening AdobeReader is posts a dialog that it is not the default program for .pdf and wants to become the default program, but fails when asked to do so.

Anybody else see this happening and know if there is a way around it?  I hate when Microsoft pulls this stuff and it seems like they do it on every release to one extent or another.  I am not going to use their browser.

EJ

Edited by TLARbb, 06 January 2016 - 01:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 02:04 PM

Hi,

Search for Adobe Reader right click on it and click Run as Administrator see if this way the program can change the options to be the default program.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 02:43 PM

This is one of those "catch 22" things with Windows 10 security, but it's easy to get around.  If you open the "Choose default apps by file types" setting it's going to look awfully familiar.  Scroll down to where PDF is listed, click on the app icon which is currently showing Edge, and choose the app/program you'd prefer.

You're done.

I wonder if Windows 10 is going to support allowing programs to change the app to file extension/type association again if that's done via user input.  I hope so, because it's frustrating to use the method that's been supported for a long time now only to get that failure.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 TLARbb

TLARbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:42 PM

Britechguy, thanks.  It was easy once I knew where to go.  Thank you for your input.

EJ

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:48 PM

You're quite welcome.  I am, shall I say, better acquainted with the Windows 10 Settings system than I ever thought I would be (and most of that is trying to answer other people's questions, but not in this case.  I had Win10 reset the file association for PDF to the MS-Edge app on two occasions during the early updates period.)

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users