Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nvidia GeForce 980

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 TheAnimeKid

TheAnimeKid

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:30 AM

Hey guys I have a fairly small case. I bought one of the Alienware x-51 series and it currently has a 960, but I need at least a 970 for oculus rift. Will it actually fit in my case.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 02:12 PM

How much free space behind graphics card slot?

#3 TheAnimeKid

TheAnimeKid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:05 PM

Not exactly sure. I haven't been able to check because i'm not near my pc until next week. 

Edited by hamluis, 08 January 2016 - 01:15 PM.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:51 AM

Then check it next week.

Edited by hamluis, 08 January 2016 - 01:15 PM.

#5 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:21 PM

Across the GTX 960-980 segment there are some slight physical size differences depending on the make/model, but the majority of those cards are the same size.

If you can fit a 960, you should no issue finding a 970, or even 980 that will fit.

#6 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:38 PM

Not to change the topic, but have you considered AMD's offerings / alternative NVidia offerings too? 980 is an expensive card... Just want to make sure you have checked all your options.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#7 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:56 PM

Comparable Radeons are in the same ballpark price-wise to nvidia cards.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Radeons, I have/had several.  They are great cards.

The only real complaints I have with the Radeons are on physical size and power use.  A Radeon comparable to whichever Nvidia is typically bigger and uses a lot more power (and they tend to run hotter).

#8 TheAnimeKid

TheAnimeKid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:58 PM

I'm relatively new to computers. I got this one to start gaming and I just don't wanna buy something I can't use.

#9 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:24 PM

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Radeons, I have/had several.  They are great cards.

The only real complaints I have with the Radeons are on physical size and power use.  A Radeon comparable to whichever Nvidia is typically bigger and uses a lot more power (and they tend to run hotter).

I consider the R9 290X to be in the same ballpark as the GTX 980. Looking on PcPartpicker, the lowest price I can find a 980 at is ~$470USD. I did not check the current price of the 290X, but I picked up a couple at newegg a few months ago for about $250USD each. The resolution also matters as if you are playing at 1440p or above, most AMD cards gain a slight boost compared to NVIDIA offerings. I will grant you the power / TDP argument, but my r9 290Xs are roughly the same size as the gtx 770 they replaced. Not sure how they compare to newer NVIDIA models though. The main thing that drove me to team red for my build though was the better support of dx12 (which might nor matter too much atm, but will start becoming important this time next year at the earliest) and the realization that drivers were the main advantage NVIDIA had. (why do you think the price of AMD went far beyond MSRP when the bitcoin mining boom happened?)

That being said, AMD might not be the right choice. If you play mostly titles that have gamewre-err, gameworks- then AMD will perform poorly.

If you can afford to wait though, both manufacturers have new architectures lined up for this year - it sounds like NVidia's Pascal should hit sometime around the spring (north hemisphere), and AMD will release "Polaris" later in the year.

Your choice is of course yours to make. I would highly suggest doing some research though before buying so you can avoid buyer's remorse. You mentioned the rift, which IIRC has a spring ship date as well, so at least Pascal should be on the shelves by then. Even if you don't want to buy the new GPUs, their introduction should reduce prices of the older ones.

#10 TheAnimeKid

TheAnimeKid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:47 PM

I consider the R9 290X to be in the same ballpark as the GTX 980. Looking on PcPartpicker, the lowest price I can find a 980 at is ~$470USD. I did not check the current price of the 290X, but I picked up a couple at newegg a few months ago for about $250USD each. The resolution also matters as if you are playing at 1440p or above, most AMD cards gain a slight boost compared to NVIDIA offerings. I will grant you the power / TDP argument, but my r9 290Xs are roughly the same size as the gtx 770 they replaced. Not sure how they compare to newer NVIDIA models though. The main thing that drove me to team red for my build though was the better support of dx12 (which might nor matter too much atm, but will start becoming important this time next year at the earliest) and the realization that drivers were the main advantage NVIDIA had. (why do you think the price of AMD went far beyond MSRP when the bitcoin mining boom happened?)

That being said, AMD might not be the right choice. If you play mostly titles that have gamewre-err, gameworks- then AMD will perform poorly.

If you can afford to wait though, both manufacturers have new architectures lined up for this year - it sounds like NVidia's Pascal should hit sometime around the spring (north hemisphere), and AMD will release "Polaris" later in the year.

Your choice is of course yours to make. I would highly suggest doing some research though before buying so you can avoid buyer's remorse. You mentioned the rift, which IIRC has a spring ship date as well, so at least Pascal should be on the shelves by then. Even if you don't want to buy the new GPUs, their introduction should reduce prices of the older ones.

Only issue i have with a non nvidia is I run the shadowplay for recording my youtube videos. It only works with an nvidia graphics card.

#11 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:15 PM

Ah, forgot about shadowplay. You can of course use an alternative screencap program, but nothing really comes close to it in performance terms. If you can't part with shadowplay, then I guess that does make your decision for you though. I still highly recommend waiting for the NVidia's Pascal architecture to hit shelves before buying, but it's your call.

#12 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:40 PM

I'm relatively new to computers. I got this one to start gaming and I just don't wanna buy something I can't use.

Since you have a 960 now (and you know it fits), then look for a 970 or 980, you can get one that will fit.  Dell lists the 970 or 980 as an option for x-51, so unless they have some funky proprietary sized card, 970's and 980's will work.

If you are new to computers, try not to get caught up in the rest of us discussing the finer points of AMD vs Nvidia, but use the power of Google and get out there and start reading!  Millions of sites that will explain it all to you in many different ways, so you are bound to find one that makes sense to you :-)

Just be forewarned, hardcore PC gaming is addicting in itself, but sooner or later you're going to delve into the darkside and look at overclocking, SLI rigs, etc....you have been warned!  :-)  :-)

#13 TheAnimeKid

TheAnimeKid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:44 PM

Ah, forgot about shadowplay. You can of course use an alternative screencap program, but nothing really comes close to it in performance terms. If you can't part with shadowplay, then I guess that does make your decision for you though. I still highly recommend waiting for the NVidia's Pascal architecture to hit shelves before buying, but it's your call.

Might just do that, but what's the price on the pascal? 

#14 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:51 PM

I'd place the R9 290X as between the GTX 970 and 980 in terms of performance as it stands now.  I've heard the claims that DirectX 12 will boost the 290X's performance 30-35%.  Color me skeptical on that though.  15-20%...maybe, but it remains to be seen.

I don't have a dog in the fight though really as I'm not a hardcore gamer.  I play World of Warcraft on occasion, but I'm into racing C Class hydroplanes in American Power Boat Association sanctioned races, so that tends to take up a lot of my free time :-)

I'd say Radeon or Nvidia are equally good choices.  The real world performance differences are all about forum based arguments, er...discussions :-)

#15 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:17 PM

Might just do that, but what's the price on the pascal?
Not sure yet, but as I said before, prices on the current chips should drop as stores try to clear out the old inventory. In case I didn't make it clear, Pascal is the name of an architecture, not just a single card. It will probably be labeled GTX 10N0 (where N is the card separating number: Example: GTX 1080). The numbering scheme is my speculation though, I haven't looked to see if that is what they are planning on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users