Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Small Question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Robin_norway

Robin_norway

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 03:20 AM

Well this happens when a computer n00b buys a used computer off another n00b :thumbsup:

I have a 32 bit system which I'm gonna upgrade but not at the moment BUT I have discovered my graphics card is bleepe, completely bleepe so I need a new one.
Can I use a 64 bit card on my 32 bit mainboard?

BTW my mainboard is a ABIT KG7 lite (or RAID) I'm not sure but it is a 32 bit.

Please reply;)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 03:27 AM

:thumbsup: 64-bit graphics card? :huh:
Are you talking about a graphics card with a 64 memory bus? If you are then the 64-bit bus is an internal part of the graphics card and doesn't matter as to the cards compatibility with the motherboard.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 03:28 AM

Try here-

http://www.crucial.com/store/listmfgr.asp?cat=Video+Card

#4 Robin_norway

Robin_norway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:58 AM

Thanks to the both of you, also I've had problems finding AGP 4X cards (on Norwegian sites) but I see now that most of the 8X is 4X compatible. YAY!

I'm gonna get me a 256 MB card :thumbsup:

As for another note, Norwegian web-stores sucks while American r0x0rz with info on the products;)

S-MODS: you may delete this thread if you don't see any purpose keeping it.

Thanks for the help.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:41 AM

Before you spend the money a 256mb card costs why don't you tell us what your system is?

#6 Robin_norway

Robin_norway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:09 AM

Well it's a really cheap nVidia based or was it a ATI based one? anyway...

I'm gonna upgrade my computer later on but right now I just need something better than the RAGE crap I have now....

My specs are:

AMD 1GHZ (gonna upgrade to atleast 2,5)
512 MB DDR RAM (gonna upgrade to atleast 1GB)
4MB ATI RAGE PCI IIC grphics card (*cries* I can't even play WarCraft 3 on it)
Rest I know of is 2 HDD's just over 100GB
DVD burner
CD burner

Thats all I know about my specs :thumbsup:
I looked around quite a bit and have done so for quite some time, I'm not getting video cards much cheaper than that since it costs around 50 USD (roughly calculated from Norwegian money)

I bookmarked the page and I'll find it's name in a hurry.

Link
Yeah the page was in English so I just made a link. Hopefully that card will work on my 4X AGP slot. But as I said the card costs less than 50 USD and I'm not getting one much cheaper than that.

Or this one a 64MB, I know this works

What you guys/girls think about it, will it work, is it decent?

Edited by Robin_norway, 27 July 2006 - 09:14 AM.

#7 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:02 PM

Yeah, I use to have a ATi 3D Rage Pro (4MB SG-RAM). You might want to think about upgrading your processor for games as well. Not completly sure on what World of Warcraft needs for minumum playability, but I know a 9250 will have some trouble rendering the game well in the medium/high settings. Not sure about low settings for World of Wartcraft?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#8 Rabbuk

Rabbuk

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:29 PM

this is the oddest system ive ever seen O_O
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#9 Robin_norway

Robin_norway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:13 AM

this is the oddest system ive ever seen O_O

LMAO :thumbsup:

Yeah.... it's..... odd LOL
And I'm trying to play games on it :huh:

Basically all that really sucks is my video card, but yeah I'm looking for a CPU upgrade and I have a store nearby that upgrades my CPU, RAM and mainboard really cheap.
But there are no video cards in their upgrade packs so I would have to buy that separatly.

Yeah, I use to have a ATi 3D Rage Pro (4MB SG-RAM). You might want to think about upgrading your processor for games as well. Not completly sure on what World of Warcraft needs for minumum playability, but I know a 9250 will have some trouble rendering the game well in the medium/high settings. Not sure about low settings for World of Wartcraft?

Yeah as I said I'm looking for a new CPU but my motherboard is a bit old, it's not crap but it only supports 4X AGP and.... ok... That is crap I guess, I wouldn't know :huh:

Anyway, WoW needs a 1GHZ CPU and that's minimum, I usually don't run programs on their minimum specs because the system will lag from time to time but the recommended specs for WoW is 1,4 or 1,5 I seem to remember.
I'm gonna download the trial to see if my CPU lags and if it don't in those 2 free weeks I'm gonna get it.

But yeah, the 9250 is cheap. Hmm and when I get a new mother board I'll most likely have a PCI-e slot but I don't at the moment.

What do you guys think about running say WoW on it's minimum specs? I think I have the recommended amount of RAM though, not sure but I think.

Edited by Robin_norway, 28 July 2006 - 12:16 AM.

#10 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 04:47 PM

Well minimum specs won't be very fun. 640x480 will be fuzzy.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users