Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Hope That Everyone Is Donating To Linux

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,626 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:31 AM

Just a reminder, we all have a lot of fun playing with different Linux distros, but behind the scenes there are a lot of volunteers making these distros available. Also with server costs and everything, I hope that everybody here donates to their favourite Linux distro. I try to make regular donations and I also donate to LibreOffice because I believe in their work. Oh yeah, Mozilla. I just made my first donation there, but it won't be my last.

Just a reminder, I am sure that everybody is doing already anyway.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:08 PM

Thanks! They deserve some appreciation.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:55 PM

And to all you code monkeys out there who don't like donating cash: You can always contribute to the code of the distro! Even wiki page edits can be helpful. Remember, there's more to it than money ;)
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#4 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:48 PM

I have been Testing software for many years, even windows software..but Open office was one, Mozzilla, many small Open source projects, I still test for 2 distros and am a download mirror support for 1

Time is an issue for me for 6 months of the year. 

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:17 PM

Everytime i install a fresh copy of Ubuntu I donate $20.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,626 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 12:24 PM

I usually just donate $5.00 at a time, but I do donate regularly and donate to various different non-profit Linux organizations, including the Free Software Foundation http://www.fsf.org/

To Nick, I never donate to Canonical, am I missing something?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:35 PM

As some who never pays for anything digital, this was my exact reaction:

mdG9OvM_700wa_0.gif

I swear, I got a good chuckle out of this topic. Thanks! :lmao:

Edited by Just_One_Question, 31 March 2017 - 02:43 PM.

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,626 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:45 PM

As some who never pays for anything digital, this was my exact reaction:

mdG9OvM_700wa_0.gif

I swear, I got a good chuckle out of this topic. Thanks! :lmao:

A donation to a non-profit organization does not equate to paying for something, it helps support a network of volunteers and servers and artists and coders. I am sorry that you feel the way you do.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:51 PM

It's just a joke, no worries. :lmao:
My actual thoughts on the subject are that even after you donate money/resources to the organisations which you believe in, in this case Linux, as long as it comes out significantly cheaper than an official Windows copy (which you and I both know costs waaaay to much), Linux is worth it! My personal favourite distros - Mint for new computers, Puppy for old/less powerful ones. :)

#10 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:54 PM

Thanks for bringing up the subject, Rocky.

In Puppy-land (which is a 'do-ocracy'), those of us who can, do.....and those of us who can't, do what we can to help.

Many of us contribute, not financially, but with scripting, packaging, website & wiki design & maintenance, hosting accounts.....whatever it takes, to help out, and to ensure that Puppy is still around for many years yet to come..!

On top of all that, I, personally, have been 'beta-testing' Chrome for at least a year now, and try to send feedback to Google where I can. What can I say.....I'm a very long-term Chrome fan; but they don't need my money, they're raking it in it as it is.

And despite the 'anti-Google' brigade, I still maintain it's better the 'devil you know'...

As ScathEnfys says, there's more to contributing than the financial side of things.....important though that is.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 31 March 2017 - 05:31 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,626 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:55 PM

Mike, I am not able to help that way so I do what I can.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:00 PM

In Puppy-land (which is a 'do-ocracy'), those of us who can, do.....and those of us who can't, do what we can to help.

And I thank you for that on behalf of the people!
YMKD7RQ_700wa_0.gif

#13 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:24 PM

Mike, I am not able to help that way so I do what I can.

No probs, Rocky; as I said, we all do what we can, in the best way that we can.

Every little helps!  :)

As far as the subject of hosting accounts is concerned, I've said it before, and I'll say it again; it is by far and away where the greatest bulk of really useful Puppy software resides.....in members' private cloud accounts.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 31 March 2017 - 05:33 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2017 - 04:17 AM

I donate $100 per year to Linux Mint, the first around Memorial Day, and just after Thanksgiving, so that Clem will be able to provide support when many are spending for the Christmas holidays. :)

What I don't do, is 'support' Linux via purchasing DVD's though OSDiscs(dot)com, yes that may donate, yet it's off of any profits of the purchased media. If the one running the show has makes no profit, then the distros gets nothing. Note that with most Linux OS's (based from Ubuntu), there may be a pop-up at boot, with a donation link, of which 100% goes to the maintainer, not via a 3rd party getting a third to half off the top. It's always best to donate directly to one favorite or most used distro (other than Ubuntu, Canonical is a for profit corporation that rakes in boatloads of cash per year, otherwise wouldn't have offices scattered all over the globe. :)

I agree with Rocky on supporting the Free Software Foundation, which is actually a non-profit, and works hard to get the word of Free Software to the masses. If there's been anyone in their life who has contributed the most to free software, like him or not, it's been Richard Stallman. KInd of like (the late) Steve Jobs & the Woz, the latter done most all of the work & Jobs got the credit, as well as fame. Had there been no Richard Stallman, there would be no Linux as we know it, that would had left Linus Torvalds to come up with a dozen years of work that Stallman had already completed. Linus took his work & only needed to compile a bootloader (what Stallman couldn't do) & gained all of the fame. 

So every now & then (no schedule), will make a contribution to the Free Software Foundation. 

http://www.fsf.org/

If Canonical were a non-profit, then I'd contribute, what we get in free Ubuntu is the base for customized distros for governments, the financial world, schools, healthcare & more. All of these pays their way, which allows for Canonical to be financially able to distribute Ubuntu. It's founder & former CEO is a certified millionaire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Shuttleworth

Among his hobbies, he paid a huge sum (in USD) of $26.63 million (adjusted for current dollars) for a trip in space in the International Space Station back in 2002. Seriously, I don't believe he needs nor deserves any donations, he's raking lots of cash in for professional support, which most any Ubuntu user can sign up for, as a yearly subscription. It's the competing distros not as much in the spotlight that needs the cash more & wouldn't be blown on luxuries, rather being able to hire their own staff & having to make every dollar stretch as far as possible. :)

This is why many distros also invites those who wishes to code, perform artwork & work on other projects just as much as cash donations. If these were paid coders & their work was used to further develop the distros, would be far more worth than a $50 donation alone. Linux users can also help simply by spreading the word........not simply handing out a DVD as though a flyer, rather working one on one with folks that wants to learn a Linux distro. Place your phone number (or email address) within the DVD sleeve, and try to work with many as possible, as time permits. :)

Last month, I got two elderly ladies off of a sluggish Windows 7 & onto Linux Mint MATE 64 bit, which compared to W7, screamed on the notebooks with dual core Pentiums. One wanted more speed, so I suggested a SSD & max out RAM to 8GB (the 'sweet spot' of today), she told me to pick those out that would be the right for her & she'd order it, and she did. We then fresh installed Linux Mint 18 on a new 250GiB Samsung 850 EVO & with 4GB extra RAM, was super fast. 

What did I ask for in return? Not a red cent, and told here that I was a phone call away if she needed assistance. Two days later, she called, and stated that he computer needed looking at, and guess what? It didn't need anything, she baked me a fresh pound cake, and gave me a small box, though asked me not to open until I had returned home. In it was the original 4GB (2GB x2) OEM sticks, each in a small zip lock bag that at some point, will use on another's computer. This is how the Linux Community should work, and in some areas, does. :)

I later called and offered to install a i3-370M that would had been a drop in fit & features H/T for free, although she was pleased with what she had, stated if the notebook were any faster, she wouldn't be able to keep up. :P

Also called the other lady, she was still as happy as could be, and when the season was in, I'd get some fresh veggies, which I still get from those I assisted from years back, as well as backed goods, homemade jelly, an occasional ham or deer shoulder & various computer equipment (to include complete units). it simply feels good to contribute to the local community when I can, while I ask for nothing from these folks, have made a lot of friends over the years. :)

So giving back to Linux doesn't always involve cash, most anyone can easily give a few dollars & forget it, I feel that my local contributions far exceeds what I've donated to Linux Mint, that is, if a monetary value can be placed on assisting others in need of freedom & out of despair. :thumbsup:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#15 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,595 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2017 - 04:59 AM

... we all do what we can, in the best way that we can.

Every little helps!  :)

Absolutely! Just one of the great things about Linux is that we can choose to contribute in a variety of ways. :)

Edited by Al1000, 02 April 2017 - 05:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users