Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can not open any programs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sacreddare

sacreddare

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:09 AM

My problem comes in 2 stages. Both stages I get the following warning- This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.- Stage 1) I could not open File Explorer and Control Panel. Most other folders/files opened in VLC. I downloaded Open Freely and was able to open some files through it. Stage 2) A help site recommended I re-set the default settings for .exe (my main problem) by going into regedit and changing the Value Data to  "%1"%*  Now nothing opens/runs except for IE and Chrome.  Upon right clicking a program you see the new Value Data on top instead of "open". If I re-start the computer in f9 mode, I can access a Command Prompt- but instead of C drive it opens in X drive. My goal is to at least get back to stage 1 so I can get some programs running. So I need a way to get back into regedit and undo whatever was done. Any and all help would be appreciated as my next step is to junk the computer and start from scratch with a new one. I have watched countless YouTube videos and am able to install/run apps from Windows Store- none of these helped.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 January 2016 - 10:20 AM.
moved from Windows 8 to Am I Infected

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:27 AM

Hi :welcome: to BleepingComputer

See if you can download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your Desktop.

• Link 1
  • Link 2
  • Link 3
    • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
    • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
    • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
    • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
    • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
    • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
  • Please post the log generated by the tool.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,048 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:28 PM

Not working. I can open in Notepad and highlight using CTRL + A, but Edit + copy / CTRL + V not doing anything. I can type in the whole log if that would help. Basically it states- No malware services or processes found. No issues in registry found. Resetting .exe, .com, .bat association in registry. Windows Defender disabled. Since my main problem still exists (can't open\run .exe) the resetting association in registry does not seem to have happened. I have not restarted computer since then if you think that would make a difference. Thanks again for the attention you've given my situation.

The part in bold is what I'm looking for. Please restart the computer and let me know if there is any change.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,048 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:03 AM

Hi,

Please post your answers here on the forum and not using PM. Thanks.

Can you open the Command Prompt as Administrator?

Press windows8_key.png + X and click Open Command Prompt (Admin)
type:

net user administrator /active:yes

Log off from your account or restart the computer and logo into Windows using the Administrator account that should be now visible if you only see your user name click on the arrow pointing left inside the orange box on the image bellow.

sbl%20win%208%20step%201_0.PNG

Can you now run programs normally using the Administrator account?

___
Rui

#5 sacreddare

sacreddare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:27 PM

A reply to latest inquiry from sleepydude- No I can not open Command Prompt this way. I get the original error message- This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.- If I restart the computer in f9 mode I can go to troubleshooting and open a command prompt there-in Drive X- not in drive C. Earlier I opened/installed another Administrator account but I'm experiencing the same problem.(the only difference is there are fewer desktop icons) In between stages 1 + 2 I ran several virus detectors (including malware bytes) and they found nothing. I do have another question for everybody. My external hard drive is affected also- Is it safe to plug in another computer? Will it magically fix any/all problems with that drive? The problem does not seem to be an infection. Since I think I need to get into regedit to help solve the problem (from stage 2) can I open the registry on another computer and install/merge it into this one?

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,048 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:24 AM

Hi,

Try this please:

- Download fix_exe_hijack.inf and save the file to the Desktop

- Right click the file fix_exe_hijack.inf and click the option Install

Do you have the option Install visible? After this can you run other programs?

___
Rui

#7 sacreddare

sacreddare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:46 PM

To All- as of late 1/9 early 1/10 I have fixed the problem (both stages) by re-associating all file types (especially .exe). Ironically one of the fixes (of 5-6) was on BleepingComputer which I stumbled upon. It's called FixExec. Everything seems OK now (I have re-started twice) but I am keeping all downloads just in case-and if any member has a similar problem.

To SleepyDude- thanks for all your help- Re:fix_exec_hijack.inf-I did download this to desktop (for future use) but the install option is not available-It opens in Notepad and I don't know what to do or how to use it in this format. I can tell you that stage 2 occurred when I changed the Value Data to  "%1"%*  in the exefile\shell\open.

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,048 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:21 AM

Hi,

It's strange that RKill didn't fix the problem for you!

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users