Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start menu does not open after Power Shell Command

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 errorproxy

errorproxy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 03:03 AM

So my mail app was not opening links. So I looked up how to reinstall the mail app. Got to this: http://www.howtogeek.com/224798/how-to-uninstall-window...

I uninstalled the apps, then ran the powershell command: Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”} to reinstall the mail app.

A bunch of red errors appeared in the prompt and now my start menu, notifications, onedrive,... won't work.

How do I restore these functions? sfc also does not work in Powershell but does work in CMD. Also, it does nothing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:06 AM

I am no expert but it looks to me like you have joined a number of us who have found many of our Apps, including the Store itself, trashed --- following the November update. The trigger for this seems to have been using the PowerShell command to re-register apps. The command 'Get-AppxPackage --- etc' is the smoking gun. It has been quoted many times on various forums.

Various fixes have been tried repeatedly without success, so we are waiting for Microsoft to come up with a solution in the hope they have been working on it. However, nothing encouraging has emerged so far.

#3 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:18 AM

By coincidence I have just read this in another forum: "Never ever run that powershell command to repair apps. All it does it breaks apps that only a refresh can fix. You have been warned."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users