Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble accessing Windows Firewall Error Code: 0x6D9

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 traptack

traptack

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 02:45 AM

Windows 7

Lenovo Y580 2011 model

Recently installed/swapped out for a new SSD and spent the past few days installing windows updates and other programs I needed.

It was only until today did I bother /have a need to access my windows firewall settings. Upon opening Windows firewall with Advanced Security window I am met with a:

There was an error opening the Windows Firewall with Adv security snap in  /  the snap in failed to load.

I ran a few quick scans with Malwarebytes Anti malware but those were all PUP files (still had them removed, then restart but same issue)

since I only checked today I can't tell how long this has been an issue.

am I infected? should I restore my computer to a early point before some of the windows security updates?

I'm so surprised.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aramus

Aramus

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 03:33 PM

Hello, I highly doubt you are infected. Windows Firewall is causing the issue, to solve this problem I recommend downloading Windows Repair and following my steps.

Step 1. Install the program

Step 2. Drain all the power in your computer by unplugging all cords and taking out the battery. After that keep pressing the power button a few times like you are turning it on to drain the power left in your computer.

Step 3. Put the battery back in and the power cord (if you need one) and turn on your computer.

Step 4. Run Windows Repair and select the Step 5 tab (Backup). Next press backup under Registry Backup. You may want to create a restore point too, which is next to it.

Step 5. Go onto the Repair tab and click Open Repairs and make sure you have Registry Permissions, File Permissions, WMI and Windows Firewall checked. When ready click Start Repairs and wait until it has finished.

Step 6. When it has finished copy the log in the Log tab and post it onto this topic.

Step 7. Wait for me to reply

Thanks Aramus    :thumbup2:

Download: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/dl/265/

Edited by Aramus, 07 January 2016 - 03:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users