Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will adding just additional RAM help?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Nzyme

Nzyme

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 02:20 AM

Hi folks, I think the title says it all. I have a Asus P5K-VM mobo with 3GB RAM (DDR2) and Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2.40 GHz processor. Maximum RAM capacity of this MoBo is 8 GB RAM.

I would like to know if just adding additional RAM will help in the performance? Some of the areas I am seeking for improvement are:

1. Working in Virtual Machines

2. Running multiple applications simultaneously (outside VM)

With the above config & requirements, will I see some improvement if I add additional RAM? How much do I add?

Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 11 January 2016 - 11:19 AM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:33 AM

If you're using a 32 bit operating system it wont see (much) above 3GB anyway. If you want to change to 64 bit OS you need a complete fresh re-install.

If you're using 64 bit OS then I would expect more RAM to give some performance improvement, but I would not bother unless you're going all the way to 8GB.

It might also be worth considering a processor upgrade - if you're in the US you can get a Q9300 Core 2 Quad 2.5GHz processor used on eBay for under $35 which I would expect to help with your running multiple applications . Some will no doubt be horrified at the idea of buying a used processor, & I would not consider it myself for a processor priced at over about $50 - but I have had no problems with the used cheapies I have bought. (anybody buying a used / re-furbished computer is in any case buying a used processor)

#3 Nzyme

Nzyme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:55 AM

I am running 64 bit Win 10. So will I see some improvement if I add an additional 2 GB RAM (DDR2) or do you recommend 4 GB? I don't think for now I will be upgrading the processor/Mobo.

I guess my next question would be how many MHz of RAM will suffice? (667, 800, 1333, etc)

Thanks!

#4 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 02:32 PM

Memory spec for your motherboard from Asus website:- 

"4 x DIMM, Max. 8 GB, DDR2 1066*/800/667 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel memory architecture
*The chipset officially supports the memory frequency up to DDR2 800. Due to the tuning by ASUS exclusive technology, this motherboard natively supports up to DDR2 1066MHz"

I don't know what memory is currently fitted, but if you're going to upgrade then you want to end up with 4 identical 2GB DIMMs to give you the full 8GB your board will take. Otherwise I would not bother.

The possible processor upgrade I suggested was to fit your existing motherboard.

#5 Nzyme

Nzyme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:35 PM

I currently have one 2GB and one 1GB RAM (total 3GB) on my PC. I think I'll add another 2GB.

#6 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:32 AM

If you have 64-bit Windows, upgrade the memory to 8GB will help you. RAM is pretty cheap, I would just max out the RAM on the mobo. More RAM allows more applications to run simultaneously without needing to use the page file, which slow down the system. With more RAM, you can give more RAM to the VM to increase its performance.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#7 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 02:19 PM

Also, don't mix and match different sized sticks of RAM.  This mobo uses dual channels for memory.  You need to have at least 2 sticks of memory of the same size (and preferably the same brand/model) for everything to work well.

As suggested, max the RAM on that board to 8GB using four 2GB sticks.

It will absolutely help, especially if you are running VM's. 

The suggestion of getting the quad core processor is a good one too, again, especially if you are into running VM's.  The 2 extra cores would be very helpful in that respect.

#8 Nzyme

Nzyme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:49 AM

Ok, thanks everyone for the suggestions :)

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:28 AM

8GB of ram should be fine for running virtual machines and adding more multitasking capability.

I mean yeah dont expect miracles as even though core2duos are great processors even by todays standards its more windows 10 that may give you some grief.

Sure windows 10 has great memory management, its the age of your hardware it may have issues with thanks to drivers and the like.

For a machine like this why not use your virtual machine software to test linux distros and later dualboot?

I am guessing thats already in the plans as you are asking about using virtual machines

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#10 Nzyme

Nzyme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 07:40 AM

I am just wondering whether adding just additional RAM will solve my purpose as I see the disk usage often too high and it almost freezes my PC. Refer the screenshot below of the task manager taken just after suspending a VM. You will see the memory usage is not too high but the disk usage is high. If I add more RAM, will my PC still keep hanging because of high disk usage?

Attached Files

Edited by Nzyme, 15 January 2016 - 07:41 AM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:42 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users