Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network Without Internet?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tmike

Tmike

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:42 PM

I would like to setup a wireless security network with what I think would consist of my laptop, three wireless IP cameras, a NVR, and a router. I Can't get internet on this remote site so my objective is just motion detected HD video. Can such a network be configured? How?

The only equipment (device) I have for this network so far is my laptop with a window 8.0 OS. I invision only using this with the NVR occasionly to view the camera data. I assume that a NVR includes SW that can be loaded into a laptop to enable viewing of stored data? Or maybe some shareware SW?

Edited by Tmike, 05 January 2016 - 11:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:45 AM

The router is going to be your key piece as it will handle IP addressing.  After you have the router it is pretty much plug and play.  I'd recommend setting DHCP reservations for each camera, rather than using static IP addresses.

Either the cameras or NVR should have software to view the stored data.

#3 Tmike

Tmike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:39 PM

Ok, I'm now looking at a wireless TRENDnet TEW-818dru AC1900 router. This router has a duel band feature and has very fast transfer rates. My question is: do I have to find ip cameras that are speed compatable with the router?

Edited by Tmike, 06 January 2016 - 11:41 PM.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:33 AM

Since you are connecting via wireless, AC would be the standard you would want to have in the wifi cameras

#5 Tmike

Tmike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 12:40 PM

It seems that if I'm not using the Internet, that a router may be redundant if I'm using a NVR? From what I read about most wireless NRVs, they communicate directly with the IP cameras? Did I miss something?

Edited by Tmike, 10 January 2016 - 12:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users