Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd but consistent crashing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Roguebantha

Roguebantha

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:19 PM

I've recently been having a very odd, but at least consistent, type of crash. I'll be doing quite normal things on my computer, and then I will try to start a program, and the blue wheel will spin around, and it's clear that Windows recognized that I clicked on the program to start, but the window will never come up. Confused, I'll by default hit CTRL-ALT-DELETE in order to bring up the Task Manager and see whether the process is in there. The blue wheel will spin around...but the blue window where I can click on the Task Manager button never appears. Bemused, I'll click on "Process Hacker", a dedicated, third-party task manager that I've used for a long time. It behaves the same as all other programs and will not appear. Out of desperation, I'll click on the Cortana Search Bar and Windows Start button, but they no longer even animate when I mouse over them, much less activate when I click. (Please note that this is progressive, at first, Cortana and the Start button work fine, but after a couple moments, it stops). The rest of the computer continues to function normally, no errors or thrown or anything, I can still use Google Chrome etc. but after a minute or so, the entire screen will go black and I'll be left sitting at the black screen until I reset the computer.

Any suggestions would be very welcome. I recently enabled Internet Connection Sharing from my Wifi Adapter to my motherboard's Ethernet port in order to quickly stream Xbox to my computer, so I'm wondering whether that may be the issue. The Event Viewer does indeed start registering errors when this crash starts to occur, but I have yet to find the root error in the event viewer. Online posts that have similar issues seem to suggest that perhaps it's an issue with the graphics drivers, in particular, having more than one monitor, or video output plugged in, but I only have one, and my drivers are the latest stable version.

Specs:

AMD FX-8350

Geforce GTX 970

16 GB RAM @ 1866 Mhz

Windows 10

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 softwaremaniac

softwaremaniac

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:54 PM

Hi, my name is Mihael and I will be assisting you :)

Please download this tool and get me the zipped report. http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/

Please Follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2895-sfc-command-run-windows-10-a.html (Option Three)

Let me know how it goes. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users