Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating AIO bootable usb Win 7

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 huntsin2

huntsin2

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:13 PM

Hi,

I am interested in creating an all in one bootable usb with Windows 7. I already have a .iso for Windows 7 64 bit with the eicfg removed so that one can install any version of Windows 7. 

I would also like to add service pack one to the aio if possible and make it 32 bit as well.

Any thoughts on how I could do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:51 PM

Burn it to usb. It should already come with sp1 but you cannot add 32 bit support, only one or the other.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,555 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:55 PM

If you have the latest ISO from Microsoft, it will have SP1 already. If you want to slipstream updates and drivers yourself, I recommend NTLite. I've made what we call the "MegaLoader", it has every useful edition of Windows 7 (Home and Pro), x86 and x64, plus VLM editions - all with over 230 updates (including the time-consuming .NET Framework updates), common networking drivers, USB 3.0 drivers, and more - all on one 16GB flash drive. sames us probably 4-6 hours per load...

I also found a way to trick a Windows 8 installer into installing the Windows 7 image, allowing ESD compression - the same image fits on a DVD. :thumbs:

Unfortunately due to Microsoft licensing, I can't share it outside of our shop, but wanted to let you know what is possible with NTLite and some hard work (that definitely pays off). :)

@Captain_Chicken

32-bit and 64-bit are possible on one ISO, it just requires third-party tools. WinToolkit lets you do it. Making a compatible unattend.xml is also possible for skipping a lot of the OOBE steps, you just have to double your XML pretty much for each architecture.

Edited by Demonslay335, 05 January 2016 - 09:58 PM.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#4 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 01:50 PM

Thank you both for your replies.

Demonslay335,

The .iso I have doesn't include the SP1 with it since it is from an old Win 7 DVD. I believe I can download an .iso from Windows with SP1 if I just put in my product key, is that correct? What are the VLM editions? Did you download the other updates from Microsoft as well?

Also is there a page that you would recommend that gives instructions on how to use the software?

Edited by huntsin2, 06 January 2016 - 02:17 PM.

#5 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,555 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 02:44 PM

You can download the latest Windows 7 ISO from Microsoft, it will include SP1.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

VLM is volume licensing for enterprises. You most likely don't have to worry about it unless you work with larger companies on a daily basis.

I don't think have the resources I used before bookmarked anymore. Doing searches with WinToolkit and NTLite, there's tons of resources on their forums for doing this kind of thing.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#6 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:11 PM

Thanks demonslay335.

#7 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:56 PM

Hello,

I found a tutorial online about how to create a bootable usb.

Below are the steps.

diskpart

list disk

select disk 1

clean

create partition primary

select partition 1

active

format fs=ntfs quick

assign

exit
--------------------------------------

Now the steps below are a couple that I found from a different tutorial that was from a youtube post. They are supposedly needed so that you can copy an .iso to the usb. Are the below steps really needed and what do they do?

d: cd boot

cd boot

bootsect.exe/nt60 e:

---------

In this case d is the dvd drive and e is the letter of the flash drive that a person would be trying to copy the .iso to.

Edited by huntsin2, 11 January 2016 - 04:56 PM.

#8 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,555 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:58 PM

The diskpart commands essentially are doing the same thing as right-click "Format". I'm not as familiar with bootsect.exe. I've always made my bootable flash drives with WinToolkit, it has a specific tool for making a bootable flash drive for use with a Windows installer. You just run it, then copy all the contents of the ISO over (not the ISO file itself).

#9 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:14 PM

Ok,

I believe that secondary part is copying the files from a Windows 7 dvd to the flash drive. So the same thing as if you were to copy the contents of the dvd to a folder and copy the folder's contents to the flash drive.

#10 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,555 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:16 PM

bootsect.exe actually just updates the MBR, so this is what is making the flash drive bootable. I don't see any commands in what you've provided that copies any files. The command `cd` just changes the current working directory.

#11 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for your responses Demonslay335.

Is that maybe if you are trying to have just your boot files on the flash drive as well so that you can boot from the usb drive instead of a regular hard drive?

I'm just hoping to have it so that you can install Windows from the files on the flash drive. I think that last part is not needed for my purposes.

#12 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,555 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:29 PM

If you make the flash drive bootable, then copy the contents of the ISO over, the entire installation is done from the flash drive. That is the whole point of it pretty much. It is just making the flash drive an entire replacement for the DVD.

#13 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:10 PM

I understand, I was just hoping to be able to do it from the command prompt. I may try both using a program like the one you mentioned as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users