Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

will the windows 7 convert back to windows xp if i restore?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 asdfghjklunicorns

asdfghjklunicorns

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:29 PM

So I have this really old Compaq Mini 110 that I would like to get rid of, but first I need to restore everything. And this laptop was previously a Windows XP and Windows 7 was downloaded onto it. If I were to restore my whole laptop would the Windows 7 go away?  :smash: Oh and any tips for if I do restore my laptop? 

Edited by asdfghjklunicorns, 05 January 2016 - 08:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:58 PM

If the computer originally had XP installed and you did a factory reset then Windows 7 would go away. You can access the recovery partition, if one exists, by tapping F11 at boot.

#3 asdfghjklunicorns

asdfghjklunicorns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:12 PM

If the computer originally had XP installed and you did a factory reset then Windows 7 would go away. You can access the recovery partition, if one exists, by tapping F11 at boot.

is there a way to keep windows 7 after resetting it though?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:28 PM

No, there is not. If you factory reset you will get XP. The only way to get a clean install of Windows 7 is to pull the key with Produkey and use a Windows 7 install disk of the same version you have, Home, or Pro.

#5 asdfghjklunicorns

asdfghjklunicorns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:31 PM

The thing is my laptop does not have a CD drive.. :0

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:37 PM

You can install Windows 7 from a USB stick but you need a Windows 7 iso file or CD from which you can create an iso file. 

#7 asdfghjklunicorns

asdfghjklunicorns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:41 PM

I see, is there a file or something where I can put into a USB and after restoring my laptop I can reinstall Windows 7? I don't know any of this since someone helped me installed Windows 7, whoops

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:48 PM

There is no way to download an iso of Windows 7 unless you have a retail, not OEM, license. 

Right Click Computer and select properties. At the bottom of the page under Windows Activation look at your Product ID. Doe it have an OEM in the ID number?

#9 asdfghjklunicorns

asdfghjklunicorns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:21 PM

Yes it does

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:31 PM

Then there is no place you can legally download a Windows 7 OEM iso. Do you know anybody that would have a Windows 7 install disk? I you trying to sell it and that is why you want to keep Windows 7 and not XP?

#11 asdfghjklunicorns

asdfghjklunicorns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:35 PM

Oh nope and because Windows 7 is newerish and people like it more ? I don't see Windows XP being used now so yea :P

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:56 PM

Yea, you will need to find a WIndows 7 install disk but make sure you back up the Activation Files using this utility. This will let you maintain the activation after installing with a different install disk.

If you cannot find Windows 7 there is linux which is free but that is up to you on whether you wish to install it. You can post in the Linux Forum for a suggested distro for the Mini. Other than that you can always go back to XP if you have the Recovery Partition but that may have been wiped with the Windows 7 install.

#13 asdfghjklunicorns

asdfghjklunicorns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:14 PM

I see thank you very much for all your help! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users