Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor or TV or wait?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 WardenJack

WardenJack

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:29 PM

Hello people,

Im in quite a situation on picking what to get so i really hope you guys can help me make up my mind.

First of all I'am a semi-invested gamer but not a competitive one. I rarely play FPS games and mostly play RPG's or racing games. With this in mind what would be the best option in upgrading my current BenQ GL2450HM monitor.

The contenders are;

LG 29UM67-P (21:9 aspect ratio, 2560:1080 resolution, and i dont care much about the rest) i would get the LG 34UM67 right away but its not available in my country. TV Samsung UE32F6100 (a 16:9 1920:1080 TV)

My rig contains a Z170-D3H motherboard, i76700k cpu, 16gb of DDR4 ram 2400mhz and a GTX970 G1 Gigabyte GPU.

Im really interested in the wide aspect ratio but im not sure the 29" model would be the right size for me since i am going for that. I just want something larger than the 24" monitor i have now with decent performance and color accuracy. The TV is ok i guess with that size since anything larger would just spit out massive pixels from the 1.5meters viewing distance i have.

So please share your opinions and guide me trought this dilema :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,796 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:00 PM

Yeah no harm in getting a TV, I use a TV for my monitor setup.

There are advantages of TV's over monitors, like having cable connection and more than one HDMI port

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:08 PM

Most TVs have rather low response rates compared to monitors. This means that blurring and (someone check me on this claim as I'm not 100% sure) input lag will be increased. This will more likely be an annoying thing when playing "twitch" games than something like an RPG, so you might be able to get by with that. If you're considering a better monitor, I would suggest looking into a cheap 1440p monitor as an alternative. Google/ebay search "QNIX Evolution II DVI" ( I have bought 2 of these from the eBay seller "accessorieswhole". The only lacking thing on that monitor is the cheap frame and the fact it can only take a dual-dvi port.)
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#4 WardenJack

WardenJack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:10 PM

But a single GTX970 wouldnt manage a solid and acceptable frame rates at 1440p?

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,796 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:15 PM

Most TVs have rather low response rates compared to monitors. This means that blurring and (someone check me on this claim as I'm not 100% sure) input lag will be increased. This will more likely be an annoying thing when playing "twitch" games than something like an RPG, so you might be able to get by with that. If you're considering a better monitor, I would suggest looking into a cheap 1440p monitor as an alternative. Google/ebay search "QNIX Evolution II DVI" ( I have bought 2 of these from the eBay seller "accessorieswhole". The only lacking thing on that monitor is the cheap frame and the fact it can only take a dual-dvi port.)

Well depends on the TV plus we dont know about space constraints.

I myself have to use a TV, my rooms too small even for a dual monitor setup

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 WardenJack

WardenJack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:39 PM

What about the 21:9 aspect ratio. I think its an amazing experience.

#7 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:37 PM

IDK About the 970 since it only has 3.5GB GDDR5, but my factory overclocked GTX 770 handled gw2 at high settings (AA on FXAA since you don't really need much at high resolutions) across 2 1440p monitors, supersampling on. Admittedly gw2 is hardly the most demanding title, but I think that level of performance in gw2 would translate to close to max settings on a single 1440p panel. Maybe not good enough for CS:GO, but definitely managable for the kind of games you say you'll be playing.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#8 WardenJack

WardenJack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:45 AM

I'd rather have the higher image quality than the pixel density. That taken it further makes the tast dificult in picking between the options.

Do you believe that 29" 21:9 monitor is enough and i dont really need the 34" 21:9 that i really want?

#9 WardenJack

WardenJack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:36 PM

I went for the LG 29UM67-P. I do hope it serves me well. Tomorrow it will arrive.

Thanks for feedback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users