Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with USB Hub

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:34 PM

I have just replaced my USB2 4 socket Hub with a 7 socket, powered Hub. Some of my USB devices (Flash drives, a Card reader) are now not working --- Code 43 --- for what appears to be two different reasons:

1. 'device descriptor failed'

2. 'port reset failed'

When I first connected the Hub all the devices worked, without power, but the next time two failed to work whether or not power is on and now three are not working. I have tried them in different sockets, and updating the drivers but they are reported as the best available, and I have switched off/on several times.

What do I do about 1 and 2?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:51 PM

Have you tried another powered [always on] 7-port hub - to rule in or rule out the original being defective?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 LaurentiuB

LaurentiuB

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:27 PM

7Usb is on 2.0 or 3.0?

Is connected directly to motherbord with 7 pin connector or existing Usb conector, back on motherboard?

I have sittuation when usb hub is working wrong when usb hub is 3.0 and is connected to 2.0 port.

If problem is not resolved tell me.

#4 LaurentiuB

LaurentiuB

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:31 PM

I forgot about change usb cable betwen hub and computer, in some case length of cable affect function of device(for ex older printer or external optical unit)

#5 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:09 PM

Thanks

The USB Hub is 2. I have only used USB 2.

I have tried the powered Hub I had earlier but it does not work at all now. Which is why I got a replacement. I have also tried several cables.

The 4 socket non-powered Hub which I have had for years works perfectly (establishing that the USB drives are not faulty) EXCEPT for one thing, driving the external USB DVD / CD Reader / Writer, which I got for my 2-in-1 Tablet, as it does not have its own DVD drive. So it would now seem I have two non-functioning powered Hubs, an older one and a new one. I got the latter via Ebay from China, because I liked the space-saving design but it was so cheap it will not be worth returning. I have seen the same / similar sold by a UK firm for about twice the price (but still cheap) and have in mind to try again. I have emailed them to describe the situation and confirm their returns policy. I believe I could return the other one to China, but the shipping cost would be greater than the value.

It was mainly the error reports which mystified me and seemed to suggest the USB Flash drives were at fault but now I do not think they are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users