Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

11 funny Linux jokes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:32 PM

1. I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
  2. I think there is a duck in my router. It always goes NAT, NAT, NAT.
  3. So I want to dress up as a UDP packet for Halloween, but I don’t know if anyone will get it.
  4. I could tell you an ICMP joke but it would probably be repetitive.
  5. I wanted to write an IPv4 joke, but the good ones were all already exhausted.
  6. IPv4 address space walks into a bar and yells “One strong CIDR please, I’m exhausted!”
  7. Knock knock.
    Who’s there?
    SYN flood.
    SYN flood who?
    Knock knock.…
  8. Q. What is a Unix or Linux sysadmin’s favourite hangout place?
    A. Foo Bar
  9. A RAID member disk walks into a bar. Bartender asks what’s wrong?
    “Parity error.”
    “Yeah, you look a bit off.”
  10. Linux geek started working at McDonalds. A customer asked him for a Big Mac and he gave him a bit of paper with FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF written on it.
  11. Q. What kind of doctor fixes broken websites?
    A. A URLologist.

Explanation
  1. When there is a change in DNS, it needs to be propagated to all other servers. This process takes up to 24 hours in completion.
  2. IP addresses are scarce. NAT (Network Address Translation) protocol is the way in which all devices connected to the router have private IP address while the router is connected to the real networked world. Ducks are supposed to be sound like nat-nat.
  3. UDP (User Datagram Protocol) is a networking protocol which doesn´t guarantee the delivery of data packets. Normally, we use TCP protocol to communicate with the internet. UDP is mostly used in real-time systems.
  4. Open a terminal and use the command ¨ping www.google.com¨. You´ll understand the joke.
  5. There are limited number of IP addresses available in IPv4. With the rapid expansion of the internet, IP addresses have been exhausted. Read this for more info.
  6. CIDR was introduced to mitigate the IPv4 exhaustion.
  7. Read this to know about how SYN flood is used for DDoS attacks.
  8. Read this to know about Foo bar.
  9. In RAID, an additional parity bit is added to detect error. If this parity bit is off (i.e. 0), it indicates an error.
  10. Every networking devices, your smart phone, computer etc, has a MAC address that is often represented in hexadecimal format and looks like 01:23:45:67:89:ab. These MAC address are used to determine which device would receive the data packet.
    MAC address FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF is used for broadcasting the data packet to all the devices. This FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF is also called big MAC in networking world.
  11. Self explanatory

Sources: 1-7,11 NixCraft, 8-unknow, 9 @SwiftOnSecurity, 10 @GoogleforWork

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:47 PM

:hysterical:

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:54 PM

"A. A URLologist..."  What happens when you call one?  You hear:  "Can you hold?"

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:01 PM

1. So I want to dress up as a UDP packet for Halloween, but I don’t know if anyone will get it.

i always heard this as: i could tell you a UDP joke, but you might not get it...

still funny either way

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#5 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:16 PM

Oh good lord... You should have put the one about the IP exhaustion at the end though... XD
@RolandJS - no, they say "mind if we park you for a bit?"
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#6 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:39 PM

I like #1 the best, but they are all good. Thanks for sharing.

#7 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:47 AM

Have you ever woken up to find yourself in a maze of twisty passages, all alike?

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#8 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 03:31 PM

Have you ever woken up to find yourself in a maze of twisty passages, all alike?

No, my home isn't that big. Dylan O'Brien has :P. If I ever owned a mansion I would put lots of art on the walls to make the hallways distinguishable.

#9 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:47 PM

No, my home isn't that big. Dylan O'Brien has :P. If I ever owned a mansion I would put lots of art on the walls to make the hallways distinguishable.

Xyzzy.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users