Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Vs. Mac

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Dotlife

Dotlife

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:02 PM

I don't really know where to post this.

I'm a salesman at Bestbuy in computers and I can't really justify having someone buy a 2000 dollar Mac when an 800 dollar PC will not only suffice but kick the crap out of the mac.

Besides the longevity of the macs and not being a root admin on the system thereby being less vulnerable to viruses and such, in what circumstances would someone get a mac vs a pc?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheJokerz

TheJokerz

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:18 PM

Depends on the use.  I see a lot of macs being used for music production ect.  I also see PC being used in the work environment, for everyday users (ie office buildings).  And macs IMO are not any more secure than a PC, the malware developers have not been targeting macs because not nearly as many people use them as Microsoft (it is not as lucrative to target the lesser popular os). 

I also concur with you that Macs are ridiculously overpriced for what you get.

utl8q0-5.png

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:21 PM

I hate to break it to you but privilege escalation (running programs as the superuser) is still quite possible on mac. If you have to sell it, focus on points like looks (both the computer itself and the OS User Interface), high resolution screens (usually Macs have a very high res screen), and art / music applications (for some reason the mac is preferred over the PC for this.) honestly though, just try to sell them a PC that costs just as much if you have that option.

Edit: You could also bring up the recent windows 10 controversies.

Edited by ScathEnfys, 05 January 2016 - 04:22 PM.

Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#4 Dotlife

Dotlife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:27 PM

Crap, I posted this twice...haha oops.

Well, for me, I don't really care what they buy. It's not commission and it doesn't hurt the bottom line. It's like, 6th gen i7 with 16 gb ram, Nvidia 970 and 2tb hdd for 1-1.5k where a mac will be i5, 4-8, and 512-1tb storage for 2-3k. What the hell?

I guess I'm more asking because I want to know why the mark up? Is it because of apples name, the quality of product, longevity? Music/gaming is cheaper on a Windows where you pay 1-2k for a pretty great computer and you'll have it for a good 10 years where as you pay 3-5 for the same components but it's ios and it lasts longer. What's going on?

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 05 January 2016 - 05:04 PM.
The accidental duuplicate has been deleted, and the reply to it moved here.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:15 AM

No apple is just gold plated bullbleep, really want a good secure OS but still want to run windows software run linux with windows as a virtual install or dualboot.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:21 PM

The scary thing is, that with windows 10, the two are becoming gradually more similar. Best to go for a PC, but I would suggest trying to get one with windows 7 or 8.1 on it. With a PC you generally get more powerful hardware (faster processor/bigger hard-drive/...) per unit price and, providing you choose carefully you have the ability to use linux as well as windows. I also suggest making very sure before purchase that any "secureboot" "features" on the machine can be disabled by the user, if not I suggest buying a different model of hardware, the reason for this suggestion: if you can turn "secureboot" OFF then you can run whichever OS you prefer (windows (any version) or linux), if you can't turn it off you're stuck with whatever OS is bundled onto the hardware, which might be an OS you find you don't like.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 02:55 PM

Or... build your own.

Really, its not as hard as it sounds and with time time and patience it can be done 

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 Dotlife

Dotlife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 03:01 PM

The scary thing is, that with windows 10, the two are becoming gradually more similar. Best to go for a PC, but I would suggest trying to get one with windows 7 or 8.1 on it. With a PC you generally get more powerful hardware (faster processor/bigger hard-drive/...) per unit price and, providing you choose carefully you have the ability to use linux as well as windows. I also suggest making very sure before purchase that any "secureboot" "features" on the machine can be disabled by the user, if not I suggest buying a different model of hardware, the reason for this suggestion: if you can turn "secureboot" OFF then you can run whichever OS you prefer (windows (any version) or linux), if you can't turn it off you're stuck with whatever OS is bundled onto the hardware, which might be an OS you find you don't like.

That's a great response. Thanks! I didn't even know about secureboot. Learning in progress :D

#9 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:03 PM

in what circumstances would someone get a mac vs a pc?

The average consumer doesn't know anything about computers, or installing operating systems. Since very few computers come with GNU/Linux installed, this only leaves Macs (running OSX), and PCs (running Windows). Which-ever OS the user prefers will decide which route they go. The markup on a Mac might make it seem a silly choice, but users only have 2 choices: learn about computers so you can install what-ever you want on your PC (this takes time, which is fine for those whom enjoy spending their free time fiddling with computers), or remain a non-technical user (in which case you pay the hiked prices if you want a non-Windows OS, but get to spend your free time on other pursuits). It's a trade-off scenario based on what a person values most in their life.

#10 Dotlife

Dotlife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:25 PM

It's a trade-off scenario based on what a person values most in their life.

This is true. It's just insane for 1,000 more you get something crappier. Hahaha, I appreciate your response. Thank you.

#11 Shadow7655

Shadow7655

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:10 PM

I build my own pc it works perfectly and it's cheaper :P

I used both mac and windows, mac didin't get much virus compared to windows. But most games runs on windows  :warrior:

Edited by Shadow7655, 15 January 2016 - 03:32 PM.

#12 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,729 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:18 PM

When you build your own pc you know how it goes together, so can fix it yourself when something breaks.

I built my own pc 7 - 8 years ago and it's still going strong. It's on its second power pack, and has gone through a few hard drives and optical drives too. EDIT; Come to think of it, I've also replaced the original RAM and all the case fans too.

Edited by Al1000, 15 January 2016 - 03:20 PM.

#13 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:26 AM

I know Macintoshes are used for a lot of movies and stuff.  Overall  The PC is much better and has more apps and programs for it. I had a really early Macintosh the Classic 2 and after a while it blew up on me.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#14 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,744 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:38 PM

@Atomic77 #13

The Classic 2 and after a while it blew up on me.

Sorry, but you cannot use one example to generalise to the complete output of any manufacturer !  That's like having a bad experience with a Ford car and then going on to say 'Ford make rubbish'. And this isn't because I'm a fanboy. I have used an Apple on occasion but never owned one.

Chris Cosgrove

#15 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:14 PM

I look at it this way, which is easier to service?  Do you have to jump through hoops to get parts or do you have to send it all back to where it was built?  I haven't seen the prices of any laptop, notebook, or netbook drop to the disposable range like HP treats their printer business.  If it breaks within the 30 days, they will send a new one, one time, direct to you.  You even get to keep the broken one.  Try sending your laptop off to get the USB or charger port repaired.  What you get back may not have the same specs or even be the same machine.  I have serviced just about every major brand of PC and find Apple to be made up of conceited engineers bent upon their own methods to trick users to adopt non-PC ways of doing normal daily functions to further fuel the fire and increase the divide between the user groups.  If it's broke, I'll fix it, even if I have to buy a whole machine and use the parts for your unit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users