Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to make PC with Win 7 an outgoing mail server

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jeffaz1

jeffaz1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 01:35 PM

We need to send alarm notifications to our customers and would like our own mail server. We have a PC with Windows 7 Professional and a domain name we got from DynDNS. From what I found online there isn't a built in SMTP server past XP. Anyone know what direction we need to go in? When I do a search for SMTP servers, I just find several places that want to rent out space on THEIR server. Thank you.                  

Edited by jeffaz1, 05 January 2016 - 01:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:15 PM

You won't be able to set that up on Windows 7 directly -- you could set up a virtual machine on that Windows 7 PC, install a basic Linux server on it and set up an SMTP server on the VM.

#3 jeffaz1

jeffaz1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for the response. I installed SMTP server software and successfully sent an email through it from SendBlaster. It went to my phone (in the form of a text), using the computer as the SMTP host. Then, I tried unsuccessfully to get the building automation controller to send an email using that computer as the server. That was when it was on different networks. I then put the building controller on the same network as the email server, and in the software of the controller, I entered the private IP of the PC as SMTP host and when I created an alarm, it successfully sent an email. Are you sure it won't work? I'm still working on getting it to send the email while on a different network. I'm wondering if the PC needs to be set with the static, public IP. There is a router on it right now, and I'm using a static 192.168 IP. Thanks for the help!

Edited by jeffaz1, 10 January 2016 - 06:36 PM.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:25 PM

It will work -- but as you noted, there is no native SMTP client on Windows 7, so you'll have to use something else, like a VM or third-party software.

So that applications and services can find the SMTP server, you will have to set it up with a static IP address. It doesn't need to be a public IP, so long as the PC is on the same network as the controller, or at least on a network the controller can reach. If the networks are separated, consider setting up a VPN tunnel between them. I don't recommend putting the SMTP server on a public IP address -- too easy to hack that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users