Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Burner Speed Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 blackwarmanga

blackwarmanga

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:14 AM

Hi, i was wondering if anyone could help me, I have a Dell with a a sony burner (DW-Q58A) , and it worked very nice until a couple weeks ago. When burning a cd-rom the speed is normal:4x, but when burning a DVD, the speed is about .8X...yes not even 1X.I've used different brands of discs, burned different types of files, but nothing works.

Of course i've verified that the programs have burn at "max speed" always, i have even tried to specify 8X. I use the following programs to burn media:

Nero burn express
tmpg enc DVD author 1.6
sonic (came with the PC)

As I stated before, it worked fine, so no idea why this happens, and only with DVD-R....(I haven't tried DVD-RW, but doesn't matter, there is something wrong anyways.

Does anyone has any ides, please..... thanks for your time

PS:The first moments (about 20-15 secons) it works just fine, later the speed drops under 1 X.

Edited by blackwarmanga, 27 July 2006 - 12:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:05 AM

no idea why this happens, and only with DVD-R....(I haven't tried DVD-RW, but doesn't matter, there is something wrong anyways

Try DVD-RW. How do you do it doesn't matter without trying it? You might be right, but when it comes to computer issues, don't assume anything.

It sounds like one of three things can be causing this:

1) The media. Try a different batch, and a different brand of disk and see if that helps.

2) The burner has an issue.

3) Make sure the computer is quite during a burning session. Turn off all programs except the burning program. Don't have the computer do anything else during a burning session.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:38 AM

This is all I could find at Sony Support. They didn't even have your model listed.

This was in general support:

I am having problems burning with my Sony CDRW/DVDRW under Windows 2000/XP. What could be a possible solution?

Try switching between DMA or PIO mode on the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.

Go to:

* Right Click My Computer
* Choose Properties
* Choose Hardware
* Choose Device Manager
* Click the + in front of IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
* Double Click the Secondary IDE Controller
* Click Advanced Settings
* Under Device 1  Next to Transfer Mode choose DMA (or vise versa)
* Click OK
* Reboot your System

#4 blackwarmanga

blackwarmanga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 03:47 PM

Thanks for your suggestions, but it still doesn't work. Still getting between .8 and 1.2X

About trying different disc brands, already done that. I don't use the computer to anything else at the time of burning. I already changed that configuration, wich Enthusiast suggested, so I am guessing the burner has problems, the really anoying thing is that the cd-rom burning speed is working fine.

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 07:06 AM

Hi blackwarmanga.
There is another poster here with the same drive and same problem which I believe to be a firmware issue, though that poster has not yet responded back.
Open the Nero info tool.
On the "Drive" tab, in the upper right hand corner, look at the "Firmware Version" designation.
If you are using "UYS2" (or an alphabeticly lower version) go here, download and install version "UYS3", reboot and do another burn.

#6 blackwarmanga

blackwarmanga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:53 PM

Thnaks for the tip, but there is there any risk doing that?? I have right now UDS1, so do i only have to download the UYS3.exe???

#7 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2006 - 05:23 AM

That is the latest compatable firmware version for your drive.
The worst that can happen is that it doesn't help.
Download UYS3.exe and save it to your HD. Double click it to run the installation.
When it's complete, reboot and try another burn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users