Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost the Dell Factory Restore function after installing windows 10!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:58 PM

I want to return my Dell Studio 1555 back to windows 7 from windows 10. I did not make back up DVD's of my original Windows 7 and now can't access the Dell Factory Restore function (F8, ctr F11). I do see the Recovery E drive, therefore assuming it is still installed and functional. I guess is installing windows 10 removes the ability to boot into the recovery partition and restore my dell. Is there anyway to restore the recovery function of my Dell Studio 1555 so I can restore back to original windows 7. Thanks for any information on this topic.

Edited by cap2587, 05 January 2016 - 12:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 01:30 PM

Has Windows 10 been installed for less than 30 days? You can revert if you still have the Windows.old folder.

http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-downgrade-to-windows-7-or-8.1/

Can you post a screenshot of Disk Management showing your Windows drive?

#3 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:12 PM

IMG_0855.jpg

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:59 PM

Looking at your image, the Recovery Partition is already marked as active. I was hoping to mark this as Active and then boot into it but it is already marked Active. I think the 39MB partition is some kind of Dell OEM diagnostics partition that is also used to access the Recovery Partition you access with F8 to start the Recovery Process and access files on it but as you have already posted, F8 not longer works to bring up the Advanced Boot Menu. The Windows 10 upgrade must have broken something in the 39MB partition.

I am afraid I cannot help any further, sorry. Hopefully somebody else on the board has some ideas on a solution.

#5 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:14 AM

I was able to recover my system!  I used the Hiren's boot CD and a program called GimageX.  I set the source to the Factory.wim image in the recovery partition and the destination to a formatted C DRive.  When this completed I rebooted and everything installed a fresh copy of the factory restore that the laptop shipped with.  I would like to get the dell data safe program working properly and have the ability to use Ctr F11 again.  I now can't see the DEll Back Up and recovery Manager under system recovery options.  Also can't make recovery DVD"s as this options is greyed out in the Dell Data Safe program.   Any ideas on how to get this working.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:31 AM

Very Nice! Thanks for this tip on how to solve the problem and taking the time to post it. Unfortunately I do not know how to get the Dell Backup Manager Working again.

What I can recommend it doing a complete image backup using Macrium Free or Aoemi Backupper Standard. These will let you create a bootable USB or CD that will let you recover a disk image backed up to a external hard drive. Windows 7 has it's own system image creator but the Macrium and Aoemi are much better in my opinion.

On a normal Windows 7 install you would see an active 100MB System Reserved Partition marked Active and the Windows Partition. There is a program called Aoemi One Key that will create a Recovery Partition and set the key you press at boot to do the recovery but I do not know how it will work with this Dell Partition Setup. I have used it successfully on a Compaq laptop. What lt does is create a partition from unallocated space on your Windows Partition after seeing how much space is needed then alter the Boot Configuration file to allow a key press to start the recovery. It starts by pressing the "A" key or F11 key at boot. It would not affect your 39MB or Recovery Partition.

How Aoemi One Key Works

The advantage of using Macrium or Aoemi Backupper is that you can recover your system even if the hard drive fails. Install a new drive, boot the Aoemi or Macrium Rescue Disk or USB, and recover the disk image from the external drive.

Edit: One of the first things I would do though is to backup your Activation files using Advanced Token Manager.

Dell also provides install disks a minimal cost if you call support. If you do not get results using the web page give them a call. They are pretty good at providing disks. I did find this but I do not know if it will repair backup and recovery.

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 January 2016 - 09:36 AM.

#7 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:50 AM

Thanks for that great information!  I was now able to re-download the Dell Data Safe Local back up program via this link.  http://dslbdownload.datasafelocalbackup.com/dsldownload-en.html

I am in the process of creating two system recovery disks.  Here is the forum link that helped me use Hiren's boot CD/GiImageX to reinstall factory.wim image onto my C Drive. 

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/135785-no-factory-image-restore-choice-3.html

Hope all the information from this post helps some else. 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:53 AM

Thanks for the links and thanks again for posting the solution. This will definitely help other people with the same issue. I learned something new also.

#9 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:07 PM

Here is the key post out of the above link that got my O/S back on track. 

So I formatted my C drive.  Then I went to Gimagex. In apply tab I put my factory.wim as source and my C drive as destination. Clicked apply and worked fine. 

Was able to make the two recovery DVD's once I reinstalled the Dell Data Safe software.

#10 axel3rd

axel3rd

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 05:35 PM

Hi cap2587,

First of all, many thanks for your posts. I was able to reinstall Windows 7 on my Dell Vostro 3300 (with GImagex apply factory image), after upgrading it in windows 10 in the past.

Unfortunately, the recovery partition boot was updated by the Windows 10 migration => when I use F8 + repair function, this is the Windows 10 recovery application ... and it doesn't work (I can't reinstall the factory image properly ; to resolve a "NTLDR is missing" boot problem and provide a computer like I buy it).

I have installed DataSafeLocalBackup_Basic.exe, it has updated something in recovery partition ... but when I use CTRL+F11 at startup, the displayed OS is Windows 10 :-(.

Do you know a way to update the recovery partition with the original Windows 7 program ?

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:27 AM

NTLDR is missing is specific to XP. Windows 7 uses a different boot loader, Bootmgr.exe. I am not sure how you got that error.

Is it your intention to go back to 7? If you have a legible key off the COA sticker you can use this tool to download an iso of your Windows 7 version and the key to do a phone activation. You AV may flag the tool but this is a false positive. This of course would eliminate and option to do a factory restore but you can either use the Aomei One Key or create a disk image using Macrium Free or Aomei Backupper to an external drive. You would also not have any Dell specific programs or included programs you had. You may also need to install some drivers such as Wifi.

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:07 AM

JohnC, when I doubl-clicked on my downloaded copy of Windows ISO Downloader - nothing happens   :)

...and my Emsisoft did not blink -- I ask this just in case the thread starter runs into the same nothingness.

Edited by RolandJS, 31 December 2016 - 10:08 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:31 AM

I just downloaded the tool and ran it. It opened and after a bit I was able to choose which version of Windows to download. Then proceeded to download the selected iso. Perhaps Eset is preventing the opening of the program.

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:48 AM

Finally, it opened!  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#15 axel3rd

axel3rd

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:30 PM

Hi JohnC_21,

Happy new year :-).

NTLDR is missing is specific to XP. Windows 7 uses a different boot loader, Bootmgr.exe. I am not sure how you got that error.

Many thanks for that. It probably come from a (my) bad Hiren boot manager function usage, when I try to change Windows 10 -> Windows 7 boot manager, after applying factory image.

I will investigate Hiren tools to fix that.

Is it your intention to go back to 7?

Yes, but with the original Windows 7 recovery Dell partition, to have a functional computer like after bought it.

I want give this old (my previous) computer ; but with a clean OS (with the finalization of windows installation at first boot) and the capacity of F8 usage, to re-install simply if this is required for the next user.

IMO, keeping the original Dell factory image is useful way to provide that (compared to a new Windows 7 from scratch installation).

I need to work on what Windows 10 has changed in RECOVERY partition, to restore the Windows 8 recovery tool (I have some BOOTSEC.BAK on it ...)

Best regards.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users