Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Updates and avoiding Windows 10 question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerHelp69

ComputerHelp69

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:02 PM

I stopped downloading and installing Windows Updates out of fear after Microsoft started forcing Windows 10 on everyone. I DO NOT want to update to Windows 10. It's been 8+ months since I installed any updates.

Can I still do certain updates as long as I'm careful to know what it does, or does installing any update cause Windows 10 problems?

Has Microsoft allowed any way to avoid the upgrade and offers?

I'm seeing high memory use (1-2 gigs extra) on startup for 15-20 minutes. I think wuauserv is the culprit after looking at things in Process Explorer. It appears KB3050265 solves the problem but I'm afraid it will force me into Windows 10. That update also appears to allow a way to stop the Windows 10 problem but I'm not positive.

Thank you so much. I have Windows 7 Home 64-bit (6 gb RAM).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:19 PM

I run windows 7 and do the normal updates without updating to Windows 10. If your looking to do just the normal updates click on windows button in the taskbar, then in the search option type in Windows update a couple of options will come up (make sure you don't click upGRADE. It will pull up the updates list and you can click on important or option updates to view each one and choose to download them or not.

Hope this was what you where looking for.

Edited by SolusUmbra, 05 January 2016 - 12:20 PM.

#3 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,092 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:38 PM

I also prefer to stay with Win 7. There are plenty of threads that have addressed automatic downloading of Win X. They are covered in "Win X Discussion".

You may also want to take a look at this :

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/599235/for-those-that-wish-to-stay-with-7/

Hope this helps

#4 philfil

philfil

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:43 PM

I presume that you have hidden update KB3035583 if it has appeared on your machine. It has to be hidden rather than deleted otherwise it will simply download again.

I set my update setting to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them".

#5 ComputerHelp69

ComputerHelp69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 01:15 PM

To be clear, I know how to use Windows Updates and I always select them individually after reading the documentation pages. Sometimes those are difficult to understand though.

sikntired, thank you for that link. I'll study it later on today or tomorrow. Just looking at it for a few minutes looks daunting though. It's terrible Microsoft puts users in this situation. I consider Microsoft the greatest threat to my system -- between this issue and also the rash of updates that break things. I've completely lost any trust I ever had in them.

#6 Ghostwalker

Ghostwalker

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:53 PM

The application that sikntired posted in the link has gotten a lot of compliments. Until now, turning off automatic updates, selecting them individually and reading the document pages was a must.

The "explainations" on these KB pages are usually ambiguous for sure. I have been taking the KB numbers and scrounging the web for others that shed light on them with great success.

I use the program "Everything" by voidtools to instantly search the hard drive to see if an unwanted update got through by just inserting the KB number into it.

This way I can drill down quickly in 'Programs and Features' > 'View installed updates' and scroll through the massive list to the offending KB and uninstall it.

I have found sometimes that even "disabling" or hiding an update does not always "stick", some of them do reappear.

MVP Vishal Gupta describes various important methods to disable The Windows 10 process (GWX) on his AskVG site:

(How to Remove “Get Windows 10” App) and (Windows 10 Automatic Upgrade on Your Computer Again).

Edited by Ghostwalker, 05 January 2016 - 06:11 PM.

#7 ComputerHelp69

ComputerHelp69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:44 AM

Sikntired and Ghostwalker,

Thank you so much for those links. I studied them last night. Rather than jump through all those hoops, unless there's a reason not to, I'm just going to disable the Windows Updates process/service permamently.

The last time I did any updates (carefully) was last April. My system runs great and unless something changes I see no reason to risk anything with more updates.

Plus, when I ended the Windows Update process in Task Manager, it immediately dropped my high memory use problem by almost half. So disabling WIndows Update solves two problems at once.

I bookmarked those links and this thread for future reference.

#8 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,092 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:31 PM

I can understand the reasoning behind disabling WU, however, you do not want to leave your system vulnerable. You could change your update settings by choosing "check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install". Most certainly you will want to download and install any 'security patches' that become available due to any perceived vulnerability. Just my thoughts.

Plus, if you have any reservations about any WU you can always inquire here. Members will be more than happy to help.

Best of Luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users