Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to get my rig 4k compatible?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Altissimus

Altissimus

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:51 AM

Hi,

I currently have:

Case
ANTEC NINE HUNDRED TWO - UK, The Ultimate Gaming Case, Evolved
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-950 (3.06GHz) 4.8GTs/8MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI
Memory (RAM)
6GB KINGSTON HYPER-X TRI-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (3 x 2GB KIT)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 (upgraded 2 years ago from a Radeon 5770)
1st Hard Disk
640GB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD6402AAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W TX SERIES (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£76)
Processor Cooling
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£19)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI EXPRESS CARD (£19) (This was horrible and I took it out very early).
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

However, for Christmas my wife bought me an Asus PB287 LCD 4K monitor. I would like to run games in 4k, to make the most of this, but I am well aware that my existing rig is not up to the challenge.

Therefore, if I want to have a rig capable of running games in 4k:

a) Do I have to throw it all away and start again?
- i) if so, what build would you recommend? My preference is intel and nvidia. What would I need to spend to get a 4k-capable rig?

B) Should I keep everything and just re-do the graphics card?
- i) if so, what card should I look at for 4k compatibility?
- ii) I'm also aware that the motherboard is giving issues with USB 3.0 and Sata for SSD. 

c) Should I keep the graphics card (as the most recent upgrade) and buy a new rig?
- i) if so, could I then run two GTX 680s in SLI to give me enough "oomph" for 4k?

Your feedback and advice most welcome!

Cheers!

A.

Edited by hamluis, 05 January 2016 - 02:59 PM.
Moved from Buying New to System Building - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:08 PM

I believe the following is Worth Reading.

Louis

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:30 PM

I would also highly recommend switching to an AMD GPU as they typically perform better at high resolutions.
And to summarize one of the most important things from the article: No single GPU can at this time run 4K at high settings while gaming, at least not on max settings. If you still want to run a single card, you could use a r9 295X2 or r9 395X2 - which are basically sticking 2 r9 290X / r9 390X cards onto a single board. You can usually find a better deal on a pair of 290Xs than a single 295X2. This will still set you back at least $500, after rebates.
Bottom line: The GPU market is simply not ready for 4K gaming on a single card. That might change with Pascal and "Polaris" just around the corner, but it's still going to be expensive. Don't forget your up-to-date displayport cable, and make sure your monitor doesn't "cheese" 4K like in that article.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:58 AM

I believe the following is Worth Reading.

Louis

Louis, thanks for linking the article you shared with us! :)

I was intending on purchasing a 28" 4K monitor, because about 9 months ago, purchased a MSI branded nVidia GTX 960 with both HDMI 2 & DP 1.2. Now that I've read the article & it's requirements of a quality experience, even though I have the card & the DP 1.2 cable, can see why it may be best to wait it out until pricing drops, and hopefully the needed specs as well. :)

Had no idea of what I was about to jump into at a minimum cost of $400 for a 4K UHD monitor on promo. And my PC won't fit dual GPU's, though would love to, it only has one PCIe 3.0 x16 slot. Now I see why consumers are complaining, because they think that just an HDMI 2.0 or preferably DP 1.2 GPU, along with the proper cables & monitor, that this is adequate for 4K UHD viewing. The first party to get blamed is either the monitor or GPU, though if they had read that same article, would be informed as to the minimum requirements. 

Seems like the GPU & 4K UHD monitor OEM's would be informing us of these things, yet they don't. The packaging on these cards like mine says '4K ready'. at 2GB GDDR5 (& 128bit), no way would this suffice. This may also help with my Topic about DP 1.2 on a DP 1.1a monitor, why I'm getting 1.62Gbps x4 lanes, rather than 2.7Gbps x4 (the 10.8 max speed my DP 1.1a cable & later the DP 1.2 cable provides). There was no improvement with the higher spec & approved DP 1.2 cable of the Accell brand, and the content of the article may explain why. 

Glad that you came in with the facts. :)

Before I spent $400 or more next holiday season on a monitor that likely won't benefit me. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:13 PM

"4K Ready" typically means they can output a 4K signal. You could probably watch 4K video on that GPU... But I wouldn't expect to play games at that resolution.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:24 AM

Actually there's not a saturation of 4K content yet for viewing, while Netflix may have some movies in that format, most are 1080p. 

I expect this ASUS monitor to last at least a couple of more years, if not longer, by then there'll be more 4K content & I'll have a newer PC with a far more powerful GPU, as well as either a PCIe or M.2 SSD, that only a Z97 or higher platform can use. So there's no need for me to rush into purchasing anything 4K related for now. :)

Though the consumers may be ready for 4K, much of the Internet isn't, nor are many other sources. It'll come in time. 

After all, look at how long the North American market took to adapt digital TV & 1080p (& still many TV's & monitors running 720p are sold to this day). The US is also behind Europe when it comes to Internet based TV (IPTV). More about this below, while it's a nearly 10 year old article, imagine their market versus the US today, as long as the trend continued in their favor. Whether it's a fact or myth, it's often stated across the board that the European market is ahead of the North American one. 

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-06-60_en.htm?locale=en

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 12 January 2016 - 05:46 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users