Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows cannot find :C/ .......... please make sure you typed the name correctly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 haslas112

haslas112

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:35 AM

So i recently tried downloading a program but find out that my c:/ drive was full, so i googled how to change primary driver and i did that using regedit, shortly after i rebooted my computer, and when it was done rebooting i tried opening that same program I didnt have the space for prior, then it gave me a "windows cannot find c:/ blablabla error please make sure you typed the name correctly." Then I tried opening regedit again and i got an error saying "Windows cannot find 'C:/windows/regedit.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." then I tried downloading that same program again and it gave me the same kind of mistake saying that i need to check if i typed the name correctly, i'm unable to open almost anything anymore without me getting the "make sure you typed the name correctly" error. Please help ASAP! Happy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:46 AM

Hello, and Welcome to BC

One should never edit the Windows System Partition in the registry as you have already found out. Can you tap F8 and at the Advanced Options Menu select Last Known Good Configuration? If that does not work can you do a System Restore to just before you changed the registry. Tap F8 at boot. Select Repair My Computer and then System Restore from the options.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 January 2016 - 11:46 AM.

#3 haslas112

haslas112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 02:44 PM

Theres just one little problem with the system restore method, i dont know the adminstrator password. Any ways i can change the adminstrator password? Btw i cant open most things without getting that :c/ error so keep that in mind.

Edited by haslas112, 05 January 2016 - 02:45 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 02:52 PM

You can enable the Hidden Administrator Account using a bootable disk. See this guide. Do not reset any password, only enable the Hidden Administrator Account. Login to the Administrator Account and do the System Restore. How were you able to edit the registry in a non-administrator account? 

If you know the registry key that you changed, you can use the bootable Kaspersky Rescue Disk that includes a Registry Editor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users