Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted files

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Alf R

Alf R

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:26 AM

Hi

I have deleted some files. They are not in the recirkel map. Is there any possibility too find them again?

The stupid Alf

Edited by Queen-Evie, 05 January 2016 - 11:30 AM.
moved from Introductions to All Other Applications since recommendations for file recovery programs may be given

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:38 AM

Hi Alf R,

:welcome: to BeelpingComputer.com.

I assume that "recirkel map" was meant to be "recycle bin".

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• List Restore Points

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy – and please make sure you post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Cheers,

packetanalyzer

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:45 AM

As you follow packet's advice, also download Piriform's Recova onto a usb stick.  Recova just might get your files back pronto.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,678 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:53 AM

This is actually a serious question, and not a snark/snipe:  If the files in question are user data files (which is my presumption), what good would a system restore point be?   I've used these many times in the past to recover the OS to a given point in time, but using System Restore never did anything in regard to user data files.  Have I been missing something?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 Alf R

Alf R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:54 AM

Hi 

Sorry for my bad English. All program is on (C:), and all my files is on (F:).

Here is what I found:

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version: 02-11-2015
Ran by Bjoerg og Alf (administrator) on 05-01-2016 at 17:43:31
Running from "F:\Dokumenter\Downloads"
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro  (X64)
Model: All Series Manufacturer: ASUS
Boot Mode: Normal
========================= Restore Points ==================================

30-10-2015 09:16:53 Windows Update
01-11-2015 12:05:37 Garmin Express
09-11-2015 09:17:44 Garmin Express
13-11-2015 12:51:41 Windows Update
09-12-2015 12:30:00 Windows Update
21-12-2015 13:24:04 Removed Samsung Kies
27-12-2015 09:36:43 Installed FaceFilter
30-12-2015 09:59:49 Windows Update

**** End of log ****

Thanks for helping

Alf

#6 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:01 PM

This is actually a serious question, and not a snark/snipe:  If the files in question are user data files (which is my presumption), what good would a system restore point be?   I've used these many times in the past to recover the OS to a given point in time, but using System Restore never did anything in regard to user data files.  Have I been missing something?

If there are not any system restore points, it may indicate the Volume Shadow Service is not running. If that is the case, then the OP will likely be unable to restore copies of the files using the "Previous Versions" tab in the folder where the files originally were found.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/492652/system-restore-and-volume-shadow-copy/?p=3034440

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:03 PM

What files were deleted?

#8 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:06 PM

Thanks Alf R.

If you know what folder the files were saved in, you can try opening explorer and going to the folder where the files were saved.

1. Right click in the folder
  2. Click Properties
  3. Click Previous Versions
  4. Select the most recent entry in the "Folder versions" section when you know the files were in the folder
  5. Click Open

If you see the files you are looking for you can click and drag them to your desktop and you will have your files back.

Let me know if you are able to find your files using this option. If not, RolandJS's idea is also a good way to restore the deleted files.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,678 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:06 PM

If there are not any system restore points, it may indicate the Volume Shadow Service is not running. If that is the case, then the OP will likely be unable to restore copies of the files using the "Previous Versions" tab in the folder where the files originally were found.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/492652/system-restore-and-volume-shadow-copy/?p=3034440

Yes, but that doesn't directly answer my question, though it indirectly does.  Everything in that post implies that it involves the restoration of the operating system to a prior state, but not user data files.  Am I correct in my presumption that there is nothing built-in to Windows (ignoring File History or taking full System Images) which allows "back up in time" restoration of user data files?

Any time I see a question regarding "deleted files" without any further qualification my initial presumption is user data files.  Given the OP's comments about them having been on a separate drive from the OS this now seems to be a very safe presumption.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#10 Alf R

Alf R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:09 PM

Hi 

Recova is now working. Still on stage 1 of 3, and estimated time left: 1 day.... Hope it works.

Than You

Alf

#11 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:12 PM

Yes, but that doesn't directly answer my question, though it indirectly does.  Everything in that post implies that it involves the restoration of the operating system to a prior state, but not user data files.

Respectfully, that is not entirely correct.

Volume Shadow Service is also required for "Previous Versions". Previous Versions absolutely can contain user data files too. For information on Previous Versions used in Windows, please read the FAQ here.

#12 Alf R

Alf R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:14 PM

Thanks Alf R.

If you know what folder the files were saved in, you can try opening explorer and going to the folder where the files were saved.

1. Right click in the folder
  2. Click Properties
  3. Click Previous Versions
  4. Select the most recent entry in the "Folder versions" section when you know the files were in the folder
  5. Click Open

If you see the files you are looking for you can click and drag them to your desktop and you will have your files back.

Let me know if you are able to find your files using this option. If not, RolandJS's idea is also a good way to restore the deleted files.

I got "No Previous Versons Available

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,678 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:17 PM

Yes, but that doesn't directly answer my question, though it indirectly does.  Everything in that post implies that it involves the restoration of the operating system to a prior state, but not user data files.

Respectfully, that is not entirely correct.

Volume Shadow Service is also required for "Previous Versions". Previous Versions absolutely can contain user data files too. For information on Previous Versions used in Windows, please read the FAQ here.

Respectfully, we'll have to disagree, but strictly on the content of that thread.  There is no mention at all of user data.

However, you definitely learn something new every day.  I've been using Windows since the first version came on the scene and I have not, prior to today, ever encountered the "Restore Previous Versions" option for getting back a data file one may have deleted and realized later (but after emptying the Recycle Bin) that one didn't really wish to delete.

"The next step" has virtually always been described, including on forums such as these, as going to a file recovery tool of some sort if you haven't been taking routine backups of your user files.

#14 Alf R

Alf R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:30 PM

Yes, but that doesn't directly answer my question, though it indirectly does.  Everything in that post implies that it involves the restoration of the operating system to a prior state, but not user data files.  Am I correct in my presumption that there is nothing built-in to Windows (ignoring File History or taking full System Images) which allows "back up in time" restoration of user data files?

Any time I see a question regarding "deleted files" without any further qualification my initial presumption is user data files.  Given the OP's comments about them having been on a separate drive from the OS this now seems to be a very safe presumption.

Yes that's right. There are user data files that have been deleted. OS is functioning excellent. Now running Piriform's Recuva and hope this solves the problem. This takes time, but thats OK. Thank you all for your help. Coming back with info about how this went.

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 01:06 PM

Britechguy, following the attempts of Alf R to use VSS/VSC to recover older files, I went into services and set Volume Shadow Etc process/service Start, from manual to Automatic [Delayed].  Let's see if that will work as described above by packet.  For years I thought as you did:  haul out the folder/file recovery utilities.  Based on Packet's advice -- I shall experiment with VSS and report back.  Like Alf R, when trying VSS on one folder on my data partition [D] -- I also got the "no previous versions" message.

AlfR -- please let us know if/when you can successfully use the files recovered by Piriform's Recova.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users