Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

trying to make this all compatable

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 murdo7

murdo7

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:46 AM

new at this and am going to upgrade from my old Pentium to the newest thing ( which should last me forever - I'm 69yrs old) Not sure if all this fits and works together, so would be glad for advise on this. 

Thanks

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K

CPU Cooler: Corsair H75 Water Cooler

RAM: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz Vengeance LPX DDR4 (4x8GB)

Graphics card: 2 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170MX-Gaming 5

M.2 Super-fast SSD: Samsung SM951 512GB NVMe

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Hard Drive: Seagate 2TB (Hybrid 8GB SSD)

Optical Drive: 10x Blu-Ray RW S-ATA

Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01

PSU: 650W Corsair RMx Fully Modular

Sound Card: Onboard 7.1 Audio

Monitors: Iiyama 28" GB2888UHSU-B1 4K LCD ( HDMI, DisplayPort, VGA)

Keyboards and Mice: Logitech MK270 Wireless keyboard and mouse

Edited by murdo7, 05 January 2016 - 10:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:13 AM

All looks good, although do know that a ssd and a hdd separate would be faster.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 murdo7

murdo7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:29 AM

Thanks

I have changes it to :

CPU Cooler: Corsair H75 Water Cooler

Graphics card: 2 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170MX-Gaming 5

M.2 Super-fast SSD: Samsung SM951 512GB NVMe

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Operating System: 3TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s

Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01

PSU: 650W Corsair RMx Fully Modular

Sound Card: Onboard 7.1 Audio

Keyboards and Mice: Logitech MK270 Wireless keyboard and mouse

Also - do I need a CPU Cooler: Corsair H75 Water Cooler or would a fan do just as well?

Thanks
Murdo

#4 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:55 AM

Personally I'd be putting Windows 10 on that. Installation of Windows 7 is possible but more fiddly because of driver problems.

A Corsair H75 is a CPU cooler so I don't understand that question.

Edited by rqt, 05 January 2016 - 11:57 AM.

#5 murdo7

murdo7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:08 PM

Thanks Rqt,

now this might sound thick but do I need a touch screen if I go for win 10 - I'm an XP man!

what I meant by the cpu cooler was does it need to be a water cooler or just an ordinary fan.

Thanks

#6 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:51 PM

You don't need a touch screen for Windows 10, it's fine with a keyboard & mouse.

If you're planning on overclocking your CPU then you might want liquid cooling, but if not then air cooling will suffice. Your chosen processor does not include a cooler, so something like a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo would be required. 

I'm not sure you need 2 graphics cards unless you're seriously into gaming - but your age & that you're "going to upgrade from my old Pentium" suggest that you probably are not. But if you do need both cards then I suspect you probably need a bigger power supply. 

If you outline your anticipated usages for this PC then someone may be able to spec you a build that while bang up to date & having a long potential life could be both more suited to your actual requirements and possibly a little less expensive. (not that this should discourage you if you just want to splash out on all the toys!!)

#7 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:25 PM

Note that watercooling of any form - closed or open loop - will not provide cooling to the VRMs (those little things covered with heatsinks that sit close to the CPU socket). You will still need to have a fan blowing on them to keep them cool, especially if you overclock the CPU, as they will burn out if left uncooled. I typically advise against going with a closed loop cooler for your CPU,unless your case has serious airflow problems around the CPU socket. The reason for that is, except in low-airflow situations, a high-performance air cooler will get you the same - if not better - performance for a lower price. If you're willing to dive into the wonderful world of open watercooling loops you can get better performance - but at the cost of a high price tag, steep learning curve, and heavier maintenance.

Now that that's out of the way, I must say that is a bleepin' fine rig you have there! Ob Unless you are planning on rendering or gaming with that beautiful 4K screen though, I would drop it down to a single high-end GPU. I'm also going to recommend that you use AMD R9 290Xs (or FuryXs if you're willing to spend that kind of cash) if you don't mind upgrading your PSU- something you will likely have to do anyway. I'd recommend seasonic or Antec for the PSU if possible - with that kind of hardware you are going to want a top tier PSU to feed it. I would also recommend a minimum wattage of 850W for that system, maybe even 1000W if you plan on overclocking.
And finally, I suggest using pcpartpicker.com to do an automated check and see if all your gear is compatible. Best of luck!
~~Scáth

Edited by ScathEnfys, 05 January 2016 - 06:27 PM.

Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#8 murdo7

murdo7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:02 AM

Wow, Thanks guys.

You are probably right, in that I should have started with a "HELP" this is what I want my new pc to do.... instead of going to an online company and picking  first the latest processor and bolting on to that all the bits I thought I mite want like ddrm4 .. as much as I could cram in. etc.

OK, so here is what I want my new pc to do.. edit videos, use light room for photo processing play 4k movies streamed from the internet and process 4k videos taken with my 4k Canon full frame camera.

I also want it to not be redundant in 2 years (probably not possible). Also don't want it to start getting slowwwww  in no time,

Thanks

#9 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:36 AM

I believe graphics cards can affect video editing performance, but also that this is software dependant. I would not expect the graphics card to have much impact on photo editing or video playing/streaming. So - next question - what video editing software do you expect to use?

Edited by rqt, 06 January 2016 - 05:37 AM.

#10 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:40 AM

Some further thoughts for you while you consider the video editing question:-

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K - Good - I'd love one but can't afford it (I've ordered an i5 6600K)

M.2 Super-fast SSD: Samsung SM951 512GB NVMe - Good - I'd love one of these too - I'm hoping they'll get cheaper

Hard Drive (data): 3TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s - Fine

Optical Drive: 10x Blu-Ray RW S-ATA - Fine

Sound Card: Onboard 7.1 Audio - Fine unless you're an audiophile in which case you would probably want something better.

Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 - Fine (can take motherboards upto ATX if required - although see CPU cooler comments.)

Monitors: Iiyama GB2888UHSU-B1 4K LCD ( HDMI, DisplayPort, VGA) - Fine - Display Port will be the connector of choice (4K is not on my horizon yet).

CPU Cooler: Stick with an air cooler if your not planning to overclock - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo seems a bit too high for your case at 159mm (by only 9mm so MIGHT fit) - TX3 Evo should do the job. Or consider a slighly larger case.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170MX-Gaming 5 - This is a micro ATX board that you're planning to put in an ATX case - so I.m not sure what you're gaining here over say an GA-Z170X-UD3 board which is ATX size. You do get slightly better audio facilities on the Gaming 5, and the alloy strengtheners around the PCIe x16 slots - but it is a bit less expandable & somewhat more cramped & more expensive by about £20. I also prefer to have the Intel LAN chip fitted to the UD3 (so guess which one I've got on order).

RAM: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz Vengeance LPX DDR4 (4x8GB) - Good - although you don't need this speed if you're not overclocking & could possibly save a little by getting slower speed RAM. Personally I've not had much luck with Corsair although most people seem to think it's excellent stuff.

Operating System: As I've already said I'd use Windows 10 x64 Pro (this year's PC deserves this year's operating system, 7 is fiddly to install & there's no reason to consider 8 in preference to 10)

Keyboards and Mice: Logitech MK270 Wireless keyboard and mouse - as far as I can tell the MK270 does not have the Logitech Unifying receiver, and the mouse & keyboard supplied are not unifying compatible. So if anything breaks, particularly the receiver, you may have a problem. Consider the K270 keyboard which is unifying compatible & comes with a unifying receiver then get the unifying compatible mouse of your choice. Then you can run both keyboard & mouse on the one receiver but have individually replaceable parts when something breaks (and have a spare receiver already available). My preferred mouse is the M510.

To be Established

Graphics card: 2 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB - depends on video editing software

PSU: 650W Corsair RMx Fully Modular - depends on graphics card(s)

#11 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:59 AM

i7-5820K is much better choice than 6700K when many cores are used.

And then motherboard must be LGA2011-3 socket.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 06 January 2016 - 08:00 AM.

#12 murdo7

murdo7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:03 AM

Thanks RQT,

And I thought this would be simples....

video editing software = have not looked at this yet. I get the feeling I am just about to walk into more treacle!

I will have to have a good look at your comprehensive post... I'm beginning to get cold feet.  

I thought ...start at the beginning with the latest processor, then pack in as much memory as possible followed by a graphics card that would handle video and photo editing and finally an ssd drive for speed of reading and writing.

Motherboards cooling systems and cases are a minefield for me.

I thought a 4k monitor would be better in resolution for picture editing and my tired eyes.

I will take a good look at what you suggest and if you don't mind, come up with something more sensible for you to look at.

Should I just go out to somewhere like PC World and buy off the shelf??

#13 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:20 AM

1) Don't be put off or discouraged - I'm sure you'll get lots of helpful (& possibly conflicting) advice on here. Take your time & select your parts carefully - presumably there's no desperate hurry.

2) If you buy off the shelf you'll get someone's idea of a PC they can make a profit on - not the best way to spec a lasting or good PC.

3) 4K is undoubtedly desirable - although I'm not sure it's quite mass market just yet - if you're going to build your own PC I would be tempted not to do the 4K just yet. You could always use the on-board graphics & a cheapo 1920x1080 monitor for a while until at all gets a little more sorted out. You would probably save most of the cost of the cheapo HD monitor with the reduced prices of the 4K monitor when they are more mass market (as long as you allow for the upgrade when selecting your power supply).

#14 murdo7

murdo7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:15 AM

Thanks rqt,

I was using DinoPC.com to chose the elements and they then build and ship the product to me.

However, having gone back again to try and get things more in line with what you suggested, I ended up with a more expensive rig.

They don't use the same elements as you suggested so I took a wild guess at what might be their alternatives.

This is what I came up with :

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i GT High Performance Liquid Cooler

Graphics card: 2 x AMD Radeon R9 390 8GB

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero

M.2 Super-fast SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

Operating System: 3TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s

Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II

PSU: 1200W Corsair AX Digital Modular

Internet: Asus Wireless 802.11AC 867Mbps MIMO PCI-E card

Sound Card: Creative SoundBlaster ZX 5.1 PCI-E

Keyboards and Mice: Tt E-Sports Commander LED Keyboard & Mouse

Would be delighted if you could re-look at it again - sorry

#15 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:04 AM

I just had a look at DinoPC & (possibly depending on how you approach their website) they seem very flexible on what combinations they will supply within their range of stock items.  

As I have already said requirements for graphics card(s) & therefore power supply are very much dependant on your video editing software, although I take on board that you are obviously looking to go 4K from the outset.

So questions:-

What video editing software are you going to use? (this one is pretty important I think)

Do you really think you need a sound card? - as you have no speakers listed what are you intending to use here? I would not be considering a sound card unless you were going to use high quality headphones, or a good quality AV / HiFi amplifier / receiver with appropriate speakers. If you're planning to use normal computer speakers - even ones which claim to be high quality - then a sound card is just a waste of money & space as (in my opinion) you won't hear any improvement over the on-board audio. In any case I expect your hearing is maybe not as good as it once was (at 59 years old myself I know mine isn't, or my eyesight).

Do you need a wireless network card? There wasn't one in the original build & for a desktop machine I would much rather use a wired network connection to your router if possible.

If you can answer these questions I will happily use the DinoPC site to do a virtual build for you to look at - based on my preferences & my best understanding of your requirements & their available items (so i7-6700K, Intel Z170 based motherboard, 32GB ram, Samsung 512GB M.2 SSD, 3TB hard drive, BluRay writer, Iiyama GB2888UHSU-B1 4K monitor  seem like fixtures).

At least if you're using DinoPC to build your PC don't need to worry whether it all fits together - that's what you're paying them to sort out! (so the only real "treacle" is the video editing software!!)

Edited by rqt, 06 January 2016 - 10:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users