Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which UPS?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bdpoop

bdpoop

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:04 AM

Hello

I have  requirement to install 10 UPS battery backups for ten desktop PC's in an office where power outage is common.  The PC's are left on at night for remote access so I need the unit to be able to shut down the PC after say 20 min to half an hour of no 240v power.

The APC units used to come with Powerchute sofware which would close the PC down after a set period of no mains power.  I think they linked via the serial port which of course most PC's do not have any more.  I expect they now link via USB but finding the right information is proving difficult.

APC are asking me how much power each computer uses but I am not really sure.  They are Acer i5, Windows 7 machines, less than two years old.  I suspect about 150 watts each.

Can anyone recommend a product that would do this and an idea of cost?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:33 AM

I like APC, this model seems to fit you bill come with USB shut down, plus 16 hour run time.  The vendor below is high in price but has full description.  Amazon just over $40. 

https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/APC-Back-UPS-ES-350-Green-350VA-UPS/1531460.aspx

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 bdpoop

bdpoop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:36 AM

Thanks for that but a few of the low star reviews claim it didnt come with any software. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:36 PM

Take a look at Cyberpower. Depending on your PSU's you may need a PFC UPS. They come with Software for automatic shutdowns but I am not sure if Windows 10 is supported. You would need to contact their support staff.

http://www.cyberpower-eu.com/products/ups_systems/pfc-sinewave/pfc.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users