Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 luminousquasar

luminousquasar

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:43 AM

Sometimes when I play Hearthstone (which isn't even a super graphic intensive game), the screen freezes for 1-2 seconds before showing this message. Could someone help me figure out what could be causing this?

My computer is a Lenovo Flex 2 running Windows 10.

F1FiDbb.png

Edited by luminousquasar, 05 January 2016 - 04:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:45 AM

Have you tried updating your display driver?

Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24345/Intel-Driver-Update-Utility and run the Intel driver update tool.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:38 AM

Most often this is a STOP 0x117 (video TDR error that has recovered).

Please follow these troubleshooting suggestions:  http://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-kernel-dump-analysis-debugging-information/35-video-tdr-timeout-0x116-0x117.html#post29532
Also, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,689 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:11 AM

usasma,

Just as a side note, I've been seeing this sort of error happen far more frequently in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 strictly as a result of driver issues.  On my partner's machine (Win8.1) one of the more recent drivers caused this error when an older one did not, but it has not recurred with the very latest driver from AMD.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:05 AM

It seems to me that video cards are becoming increasingly complex.  And as such, the driver developers have to cram more into each driver package than ever.

Back in the XP days, it was almost a certainty that a BSOD during hibernation was due to video drivers only. 

Then we went to it being a mix of drivers (storage, wifi, chipset, USB, etc) - and troubleshooting became more difficult.

Now I'm often faced with (during BSOD analysis) several video card related drivers in a single memory dump - making me wonder which component of the video card is actually to blame.

As for the error popping in and out - this is (IMO) a result of the increasingly complex construction of video cards (and their drivers).

I believe that the problem existed in the oldest driver - but was not exposed (to the system) because the advanced features weren't calling on it to do the work that caused the error.

Then the advanced features came out - and they called on the driver to do this (and that exposed the error).

Then they had to go back and fix that (in the latest version).

IMO this is due to the pressure to come out with newer, better video solutions as fast as possible.

The quality control could be better served (again IMO) by testing longer before releasing a driver package.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,689 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:06 AM

The quality control could be better served (again IMO) by testing longer before releasing. . .

There, I corrected that for you!  ;-)

This is precisely one of the reasons I left software development.  Even before I did, the programmers where I worked had the refrain, "There's always time to do it over, but never time to do it right in the first place."

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 AlikDiana

AlikDiana

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:13 AM

This is a normal question. The basic thing is that your gpu is overload to run and your graphic driver need to update. So you need do the next things:

1. Update graphic drivers to the latest version. (you should first to consider this error, becase this is the easiest way to solve this problem)

2. Use task manager to end program, especially the video program or game program.

3. Increase the TDR value data.

4. Reset the GPU frequency.

5. Update motherboard/bios Drivers.

6. Cooling computer.

7. Change Graphic Card

And you can follow this article to get the details for every steps: https://www.driverdr.com/news/easy-way-to-fix-display-driver-stopped-responding-and-has-recovered/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users