Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

antivirus for 2006 mac mini running Snow Leopard.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 one2treefor5

one2treefor5

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:21 AM

Hi.  I have a very old Mac Mini connected to my TV that I use specifically for watching videos.  I currently uninstalled Sophos because it won't let me upgrade it, and Avast doesn't support it.  Any suggestion? Or should I just don't even bother installing one since I rarely download stuff on it other than updates and adding extensions/applications for a better htpc experience.

Edited by one2treefor5, 05 January 2016 - 01:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:43 PM

You might see if this helps...it is a similar post from the Apple forums:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7041043?start=0&tstart=0

FWIW, ClamXAV is now a commercial product and is no longer free. I did not see a minimum requirements for it, so I emailed them to see if it is still compatible with 10.6.x. If/when I get a response, I will post again.

Your other option would to upgrade to at least Mac OS 10.7.x on the Mac Mini...if you can. That will certainly let you use VirusBarrier X8 from Intego (what I use...FWIW, I also sent them an email asking if they still sell a supported program for Mac OS X 10.6.x).

#3 one2treefor5

one2treefor5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 02:37 PM

Thanks for the reply. My mac mini is already upgraded to its maximum. Sad that Clamav is no longer free. I use that on my Ubuntu.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:12 AM

I did hear back from both ClamXav and Intego (VirusBarrier) and they both sell options that work with Mac OS X 10.6.8. So, you should be able to contact them for the pricing if you are interested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users