Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display Individual Thread in Reverse Chronological Order?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:55 PM

There's probably something so incredibly obvious that I'm going to hate having asked this question, but is there a way to make the individual messages in a single thread display in newest to oldest (reverse chronological) order?

I have looked and looked and if there is I just keep missing it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:55 PM

Not individual threads, but by forum you can. In the blue header of a forum on the left side it says: Recently Updated, Start Date, Most Replies, Most Viewed, Custom

Use the Custom filter to sort in reverse.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:58 PM

Invision (developer of IPB forum software) has said they don't have it in the list of planned development due to lack of customer interest.

https://community.invisionpower.com/topic/334896-add-ucp-setting-posts-in-reverse-chron-order/

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,842 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:44 PM

Animal,

The "Recently Updated" feature by forum gets me what I like to see as far as the actual thread titles go.  

Demonslay335, 

Oh, well then, I guess I'm *^$&^ed!! 

I've been dealing so far, but it is really tedious the longer threads get to have to go through multiple pages to get to the last post when you're trying to find something "mid-thread" to refresh your memory (and, yes, I do use the page number links to avoid that, but would love to just have the sort order reverse chronological to begin with).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:47 PM

A work-around I usually use is to click the right-double-arrow button (or last page number button). This takes me to the last page. You can then use the "End" key on your keyboard to auto-scroll to the bottom of the page, if you want to start from the very last post.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,842 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:39 PM

Hollowface,

That's precisely what I routinely do, but it's a PITA.  I'll continue to do it, and I know that the lack of this feature is not the fault of the good sponsors of this forum, but what could the actual coders have been thinking?

Virtually every other interface, be it web forum, e-mail (web or stand alone), etc., interface I work with allows the sort order that most people want:  most recent first.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,493 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:41 PM

Virtually every other interface, be it web forum, e-mail (web or stand alone), etc., interface I work with allows the sort order that most people want:  most recent first.

Amen to that, but that's IPB for ya...

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users