Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu - Whats The Norm?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vicmax

vicmax

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:45 PM

I was just wondering, what would you say is the average/normal expected CPU percentage? Mine hovers around 0-15% on some occassions for a split second shoots up to 80-90,but like i say thats just a second,less probably.

So check yours and see what its at!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:05 PM

Windows XP uses the cpu's capacity for system functions when other aps aren't using it.

That's one of the main reasons for the fluctuations.

#3 Maceman

Maceman

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:43 PM

on my 1.8ghz celeron: 2 to 4%
on my 2.8ghz P4: 1 to 2%

This is just with firefox and panda antivirus open. When running a full screen game, the celeron goes up to 100% and the P4 goes up to about 40%.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:23 AM

From Langalist:

What's Eating His CPU Cycles?

Fred, Re 'registry bloat' ( http://langa.com/newsletters/2005/2005-10-13.htm#1 ) and registry repair ( http://www.informationweek.com/story/showA...cleID=171203805 ), I've been very happy with 'TuneUp Utilities 2006.' A free thirty day trial is available. At your suggestion, I've run it several times in a row, and I do not get repeat errors, unless I've messed around with the registry one way or another.

In line with this problem, I wish you'd outline in the newsletter how one can solve this problem: If I turn on Task Manager, and click on 'Performance', the little green square that appears in the tray frequently will reflect 100% use of the CPU, for really long periods, even when I have nothing running on the computer (I also use SpeedUpMyPC, which shows the same thing, in a slightly different way). How can one isolate this problem to determine what it is that is eating up the CPU cycles -- it really slows down the computer, and if I could find what is causing the problem, I can keep it shut down most of the time, or even find a substitute for it.

Hope you see your way clear to mentioning this in the letter. Thanks for your good work. ---Stu Godwin

While you're in Task Manager, take another look at the Processes tab: Click on the CPU heading there to sort the processes according to how much CPU usage they're getting. (In other words, sort the list so the most CPU-hungry processes are at the top of the list.) There, you'll see exactly whatever's consuming your CPU time.

If your system is very busy, the list may be a little confusing as items jump to the top of the list and then jump back down again as they go active and inactive; but if you watch for a little while, you'll see what's consistently at or near the top.

Once you know what process or processes are keeping the CPU so busy, you can take steps to rein it in. If the listed processes are unfamiliar, do a Google search on the process name to help identify it, or what software "owns" the process. (eg http://www.google.com/search?q=identify+process+xp )

http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2006/2006-01-12.htm#3

#5 vicmax

vicmax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 09:53 AM

Thanks for the info people, i dont knoe where id be without you!
:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users