Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SD/mini-MMC/RS (card reader)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 scriba_golfer

scriba_golfer

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:56 PM

I have Windows 7 and my SD/mini-MMC/RS (card reader) won’t read data. the computer recognizes it but it won’t show info. It just says “Please insert a disk into SD/mini-MMC/RS (E).” Is it dead or can it be fixed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:19 PM

Try formatting it.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 scriba_golfer

scriba_golfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:46 PM

If you mean format the card, I should have mentioned that it is any SD card I put in it. I always have a work around by using a card reader adapter to a USB port but it would be nice to have the card read in the PC back.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:57 PM

Possibly reinstall the Card Reader Driver. What is the make and model of the computer? Do you see a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager? Your Card Reader would be listed under Disk Drives in Device Manager. Right Click it and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line.

#5 scriba_golfer

scriba_golfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:07 PM

There are no yellow exclamation marks showing. I did select 'Update Driver' then 'Search automatically for updated software driver software'. It came back saying 'Windows has determine that the driver software for your device is up to date'.

Computer is Dell Inspiron 580

Processor Intel® Core™ i3 CPU  550 @3.20GHz  3.20GHz

System Type: 64-bit Operating System

These are my Disk Drives

First line for Hardware IDs:

USBSTOR\DiskGeneric-SD/MMC__________1.00

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:29 PM

I thought I could pull something from the Vendor and Device ID but could not. I am not sure what chipset your card reader is using. It may be realtek but I can't say for sure. I also looked on the Dell support site for the 580 but no card reader was offered. 

The Dell has a service tag on the side. You can go to Dell's support site and input your service tag number. This should bring up a list of drivers for your computer.

#7 scriba_golfer

scriba_golfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:46 PM

I have run through that as well with same results. I did run a diagnostic test on the drive. It said it passed once and ran it again and it said it failed. I can live with the way it is I guess. I have for 2 years. Thanks for trying. I do appreciate it.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:00 PM

No problem, sorry I could not get your Card Reader to detect any card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users