Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sound not working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Georgetta

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:04 PM

I have a dell studio 1535 laptop running windows 10 pro and my sound is not working at all. In the playback tab it says my high definition audio device not plugged in. In the recording tab it says no audio devices are installed In device manager under sound it says my my high definition audio device is working properly. In device manager under system devices and under system speakers properties in the general tab it says no drivers are installed for this device, but in the driver tab it has microsoft as the driver provider 6/21/2006 as the driver date 10.0.10586.0 as the driver version and microsoft windows as the digital signer. Also in system devices under high definition audio controller properties in the general tab it says this device is working properly. i have 2 properties screens  and they both say it is working properly. And i have already checked to make sure that my windows audio and my windows audio endpoint builder are both running. i have ran malwarebytes, and have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers and i am out of ideas please help me. thank you

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 10 discussion to Windows 10 support as that is the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,538 posts
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:20 PM

You have upgraded a machine that Dell states they did not test for Windows 10 and for which they are not developing drivers.  That doesn't mean all hope is lost, but it might be.  I had to give up on an Inspiron 1720 that I could never find a mouse pad driver for that worked under Windows 10.

That being said, see the audio driver section of the Dell Support Page for the Studio 1535.  There is a driver for your audio card issued by them with a 2011 latest update date.  That may fix your problem, but it may not.  It's a good place to start, though.  Under device manager I would uninstall the Microsoft driver first, then uninstall the device entirely, then try using the driver from Dell.

As you've now learned, Device Manager reporting that a device is running normally does not necessarily mean it is.  I have yet to see the converse:  reporting that something is not running normally but the device is functioning anyway.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 wfallon

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:16 AM

I have no idea why you have 2 properties screens, that might be the start of the problem.

Sound is one of the main problems with Win 10. 

Go to Dev Mgr, Sound and uninstall all (if you have 2 properties, you have 2 installed) HD Audio you're using. Restart and let windows find the correct one. It may take several times.

If that doesn't work, back to Dev Mgr, click on the top listing for for your PC. Click Action, Scan for new hardware.

If that doesn't work, Action, Add legacy hardware.

If that doesn't work, install the Dell driver again, only if you have an IHT HD Audio. Sound drivers are exactly what you say you have. They are generic MS drivers.

If all this doesn't work you're in for a reinstall.

Edited by wfallon, 11 January 2016 - 06:17 AM.

#4 FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:25 PM

Something to try:

Try uninstalling all audio drivers/ delete driver files. You should have a folder where the dell setup unzipped to. Usually C:/dell/. Also uninstall anything from add remove programs if there is something there.

Find the folder with the audio driver setup files and try setting compatibility to windows 7, and run as admin/reboot when finished. I don't think you need to reinstall the OS. Sometimes audio drivers can be tough to get right. You could also try to install the chipset drivers from dell.

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 11 January 2016 - 09:29 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users